Author Topic: Jay Rocks Follow Me Home debuts at No.83 with 5,300 sold  (Read 1337 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Jay Rocks Follow Me Home debuts at No.83 with 5,300 sold
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »
i know what ur sayin,   but its still a very big fail imo. Jay Rock had an online-buzz n all, the "black hippy"-stuff wit Kendrick.. better numbers were def expected

Did you buy the album??

na, havent even heard it yet

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 12:15:35 PM »
nipsey hussle, dom kennedy, kendrick lamar > jay rock
I dont see Dom or Lamar in your sig but I do see Jay  :laugh: As for Nipsey, wheres his album ???
It dont matter whos on the cover. The overall product coming from Nipsey Hussle, Dom Kennedy & Kendrick Lamar is better than what Jay Rock has to offer. Not saying Jay Rock is wack or anything but I prefer the previous artists more so then Jay Rock. Either way, its good to see healthy competition between the new West artists.

h2k4

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »
It's funny, the same people in here saying sales don't matter will be the same ones in the Game thread if Game doesn't sell well, saying he flopped. 

Anyway,  I'm not really feeling this album.  Nothing stood out for me.  Just a bunch of average tracks.  Rock has steadily declined (in my opinion) with each mixtape he's dropped.  The rest of the TDE crew seems to have past him.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
all those acts got a personality that these new fans feel, jay rocc  is raw straight no chaser, he don't put on a act like say a william roberts or a game with his antics. We are in the act a fool age of entertainment yell

I agree. But also the label situation Rock went through def fucked it up a bit. That's the problem with alot of labels IMO, they always try to hit new artists with a bang instead of building them up from the ground. I'm sure that Rock's album would've done better had it dropped in 2007-08 and they could've kept dropping a few albums and i'm sure he would've been a bigger name by now, but what happened was the label tried to reach a wider audience and they never caught on and so they didn't wanna invest big money for his project. But like you said Rock also doesn't have that "star potential" and neither does Kendrick, but who cares still dope artists.
Me personally if it's knot, I'm getting it no matter what. But to be a superstar and really sale you got to appeal to a broad fan base, and those fans are band wagon ride the in thing cats. And personality or idiotic actions draw them in.

Game did ride the 50 wave but he also created a bi polar and name dropping character. Its something banks didn't do, yayo has some personality but again he's real, he won't go wwe like game and mix in alot of fiction with his realness (game is second only to pac in doing this). When you say to someone what you think of game? You will get he's a name dropper, jay z and dre stan, a clown who always does something for attention etc or he's  keeping the west alive, he's dope when he makes deep songs, he got people rep'n bloods tough, he will knocc a muthafucca out etc. dude name can spark mad engaging convo and that was even from the start, yet a jay rocc will usually just get he's real, can spit, and his album is banging or not and that's it from a wide audience yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

realtalk

• 'G'
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »
in the indy game they dont ship alot of records. i was told they only shipped 8000 copies of follow me home. jay rock 5300 of those in limited stores. shipping is the bad part of being on a indy

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 04:50:57 PM »
I was commenting it aint regard to fact most knew hitting 10 tho would of been great, hes a new artist on a indy not being back from Akon or Wayne or some other radio artist. The albums dope i got my copy, glad a New west act actuloy got a album out, And they def messed up All my life by changing hook and having WillIam saying ghetto over and over Kendrick layed a perfect hook.... Suprised song didnt do better, his buzz was bigger at warner when he dropped Lift me up, All my life, and lots of mixtapes. They should push the track with Ross try n get more sales

Jimmy H.

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
You can't compare indy sales with major label. It's a completely different machine altogether. He's a brand new rapper with no mainstream radio or video play. Touring and word of mouth will be the big deciding factor in how well this does.

jeanmiche777

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
in the indy game they dont ship alot of records. i was told they only shipped 8000 copies of follow me home. jay rock 5300 of those in limited stores. shipping is the bad part of being on a indy

Really? I doubt it. In my local HMV store in Canada, there was a copy, and beleive me, there's almost nothing in the hip hop section there

SGT x Tok3R

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
Damn these numbers suck. Guarenteed he can push at least that through the local swap meets and out the trunk. Is the west coast really dead? Will Nipseys album ever see the day of light?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
It's not a super great look for dude but like I said, the indy situation is different. Nobody's doing first-week promo tie-ins with the album on sale for 9.99 with a free DVD. It's just there for people to buy. I had to go to FYE and spend the full $15. Three other stores I tried before (including Best Buy) didn't have it. Let's see where the next few weeks take it.

jmj540

• Lil Geezy
  • YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE! YOU BLEW IT
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »
better than bow wow's minuscule record sales.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:07 AM »
Finally got this in the mail today, booklet, cd etc are all high quality, production credits were interesting, a lot of talented up and comers. Been playing this album a lot, "They Be On It" getting constant burn

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
Its 2011 99% of hip hop albums arnt selling, Jay Rock will make his money from touring and slowly building a fan base due to his alliance with tech.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

The_Offence

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
it doesn't help that the album is still not out in parts of Europe,Asia and here in canada. they said it would be in canada some time this month but its not at best buy yet.

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 07:10:46 PM »
it doesn't help that the album is still not out in parts of Europe,Asia and here in canada. they said it would be in canada some time this month but its not at best buy yet.

whos gonna wait for cd to hit stores in age of internet?  ::) ::) i live in europe and alredy got my copy  ;D ;D and i mean cd  ;)