Author Topic: "Game's ‘The R.E.D. Album’ First Week Sales Projected At 90-95k"  (Read 4415 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: "Game's ‘The R.E.D. Album’ First Week Sales Projected At 90-95k"
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
Ugh here we go again.

I'm well aware Geffen and Interscope are the same shit. But contracts are legally binding and extremely technical. If the contract says "this artist agrees to release 5 albums on Interscope Records" then believe me the court will say he's only released 2. Jimmy Iovine doesn't strike me as a friendly guy who's willing to let his artist just fulfill their contracts and leave for another label. Unless he's just sick of dealing with Game, which is very possible.

What are you talking about? That's not legally possible since every one of his albums has been on Interscope.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »
I guess that explains why our opinions on his music are so different. I'm buying the retail versions and you're buying those special hater editions. I have all 4 of his albums and I know the middle two both say Geffen Records.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Jimmy H.

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
Ugh here we go again.

I'm well aware Geffen and Interscope are the same shit. But contracts are legally binding and extremely technical. If the contract says "this artist agrees to release 5 albums on Interscope Records" then believe me the court will say he's only released 2. Jimmy Iovine doesn't strike me as a friendly guy who's willing to let his artist just fulfill their contracts and leave for another label. Unless he's just sick of dealing with Game, which is very possible.
You act as if Game doesn't have a lawyer who is paid to look at these kind of things. You can't just move things around like that and dodge your way out of a deal. Everybody is getting their points on these projects. It would be an even poorer business move, given the fact that with the steady sales decline on each album, DA and LAX would be bigger sellers than whatever Game has come out next

Dikteta Dax

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:40 PM »
I guess that explains why our opinions on his music are so different. I'm buying the retail versions and you're buying those special hater editions. I have all 4 of his albums and I know the middle two both say Geffen Records.

Geffen Records is an American record label, owned by Universal Music Group, and operated as one third of UMG's Interscope-Geffen-A&M label group.

Universal Music Group acquired PolyGram in 1999, resulting in a corporate reorganization of labels. Geffen Records, along with A&M Records, was subsequently merged into Interscope Records. Although Geffen would continue to exist as a brand, it was downsized to fit into the greater expansion of Interscope (who also took over distribution of DreamWorks Records). At the same time, international distribution of Interscope and Geffen releases switched to ex-PolyGram label Polydor Records, which had already been distributing A&M releases overseas (in return for A&M handling Polydor releases in the US).

Geffen's absorption of the MCA and DreamWorks labels, along with its continuing to sign new acts such as Ashlee Simpson, Angels & Airwaves, Snoop Dogg, and The Game, had boosted the company to the extent that it began gaining equal footing with the main Interscope label, leading some industry insiders to speculate that it could revert back to operating as an independently managed imprint at UMG again. At the end of 2007, however, Geffen was absorbed further into Interscope, laying off sixty employees.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:06:30 PM by Black Male »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »

lmao so let me get this straight. You think Interscope let Game out of his contract to do two albums for another label when his buzz was at its height, then made him come back to fulfill the rest of his contract after his buzz went down significantly? Geffen is a part of Interscope, genius. Before the merger it was its own label, now all it is is a brand name. If it were a seperate entity, he wouldn't even have been there since Interscope owns him. They simply moved him from one brand name (Aftermath) to another (Geffen) due to label politics. That special groupie gatorade must make you extra dense.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »
LOLOL, THIS NIGGA GB IS AN IDIOT.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
Lol ok genius then explain this, if they're is absolutely NO difference then what was the point in them not putting Interscope Records on the back of DA and LAX? And why did Game himself say "BACK ON INTERSCOPE" when he started working on The Red Album?

Let me guess, no reason right?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »
Lol ok genius then explain this, if they're is absolutely NO difference then what was the point in them not putting Interscope Records on the back of DA and LAX? And why did Game himself say "BACK ON INTERSCOPE" when he started working on The Red Album?

Because it's like playing for the a league and playing for the b league, your still paid by the same franchise however one has more exclusitivity and stigma attached to it

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 11:56:26 PM »

http://www.interscope.com/default.aspx

Look at the top left. It's flashes between "Interscope Records", "Geffen Records" & "A&M Records". All three are the same.

http://www.interscope.com/game/media <---Scroll down. About half way down that page, they were promoting "LAX" in 2008. Why would they promote "LAX" on "Interscope.com" if he wasn't a part of Interscope?

Dikteta Dax

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
It's all label politics

Does a record deal with a record label mean anything anymore, or has the long arm of corporate ownership produced one big company where affiliations are merely symbolic? Two artists - The Game and Drake - represent both the best and worst aspects of this system.

After The Game dropped the multi-platinum album The Documentary on Interscope Records in 2005, he was quickly shifted over to Geffen Records once the beef with his G-Unit labelmates became too heated. Since then, both of The Game's follow-up records - The Doctor's Advocate and L.A.X. - have helped fill to the coffers at the house David built. This business relationship has now changed however, and according to The Game's manager Jimmy Rosemond, the rapper's new album The R.E.D. will be packaged with the Interscope brand and not Geffen's. But what's the difference?

You see, Interscope owns Geffen, and Universal Music Group owns Interscope, so Game's shift "back" to Interscope is merely a symbolic gesture signifying that The Game has served his time down on Geffen Records and is ready to come back to the big leagues. But it's the same league.

What it boils down to is that record labels have a lot riding on brand differentiation and maintaining the illusion of competition and hierarchy in the corporate world. What Game has accomplished by moving to Interscope is equivalent to moving from the basement apartment to the penthouse. However, it's still the same building and all that rent money goes to the same group of people at the start of every month.

A real shift in Game's corporate affiliation would have seen the Compton rapper ditch the "Big Four" record label model and sign directly to an alternative form of music distribution. These alternative methods of moving music are quickly becoming the most desirable way to release content, because recording contracts with the "Big Four" are viewed as an obsolete way to make a buck in the entertainment industry.

http://sarcasticdbag.blogspot.com/2009/07/game-is-back-on-interscope-prepared-to.html

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:14 AM »
Also, what that other guy said about Game's lawyers. When Jimmy or whoever was like "Game, you're on Geffen now". They didn't sit there saying "Oh, hopefully he falls for it"; obviously somebody looked over the switch to make sure everything was still in order.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2011, 12:29:05 AM »

As I said, its a brand name for Interscope to release music on. Read the article dude just posted. Then slap yourself.

And actually what Game said was "BACK ON AFTERMATH." Which obviously wasn't the case. And didn't someone say in the other thread that there's not even an Interscope label on R.E.D. either? Lol not that I bought this album, so I couldn't check for sure. You clearly have no idea how record contracts work. Game has dropped 4 albums through Interscope, regardless of what sub label they send him to.

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
Chamillitary, I see you say "nigga" quite often, but for some reason I get the feeling you're not black. Am I correct?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2011, 01:33:54 AM »
Chamillitary, I see you say "nigga" quite often, but for some reason I get the feeling you're not black. Am I correct?

Money. Spot on.

I generally say it during an argument, giving my poor, defensiveless, victim, whose tired of being proven wrong all day, an out to fall back on & open the door to change the topic.

Prime example. You don't wanna see me on the right side of a Game argument against a fellow Game rider, hence you switched the topic to my choice of vocabulary. If this were some random thread about any other artist, it would go overlooked. Now prop me for being a decent human being.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »

Money. Spot on.

I generally say it during an argument, giving my poor, defensiveless, victim, whose tired of being proven wrong all day, an out to fall back on & open the door to change the topic.

Prime example. You don't wanna see me on the right side of a Game argument against a fellow Game rider, hence you switched the topic to my choice of vocabulary. If this were some random thread about any other artist, it would go overlooked. Now prop me for being a decent human being.

That shit is weak son