Author Topic: Game Blackballed from MTV Music Awards  (Read 2270 times)

Greenbrigade

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Game Blackballed from MTV Music Awards
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »
Game aint been blackballed.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »
And on top of that, I read that Lil Wayne held a release party for Tha Carter IV in LA. I looked through some of the pictures, and I didn't see Game there either. I saw Rick Ross, DJ Khaled, Drake, etc.

Nah he was i heard Snoop was there too. I think someone from Wayne's crew tweeted about it.

He gave his ticket to 2 females, he did the same at the BET awards. Game always been like that though he rarely shows up to
award shows unless he performs or does something at the actual awards (like present or some shit).

love33

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
Nobody is saying Jay-Z is beyond criticism. You can call his albums "weak" or "overrated" but the fact remains he's dropped the most consecutive #1 albums in music. He beat out Elvis Presley. When was he "not relevenat"? When has he not pushed more than 400,000 copies of an album on the first week? When has he not done over a million worldwide ever? I mean, "certified", within the year. Jay's sales figures CRUSH Game's. The only mainstream artist coming close to touching him in hip-hop is Eminem.

You gotta be kidding me man did you ever actually take a look at the numbers before you wrote this senseless shit?  Game's debut album CRUSHED Jay-Z's "Reasonable Doubt" in sales.  Look at the numbers head up -- Game opened at nearly 600k units with "The Documentary" and quickly went to platinum status and Jay-Z took until 2002 to get certified platinum for Reasonable Doubt (which was due to all the MTV dickriding, nobody paid attention to his shit until after Pac died).  It took Jigga 7 years for his debut to go platinum.

Jay-Z's big break came from MTV pushing him hard with "Can I Get A..." and his feature with Jermaine Dupri on "Money Ain't A Thang" was really when his career was born on the main stage.  After that, his career tookoff like a rocket but thanks to MTV and people being done with Pac (R.I.P) weren't going to listen to Will Smith for the next 5 years so they were looking to MTV for the next big thing.

The Game also outsold Jay-Z if you want to compare their second albums head up as well (Game debuted at #1 and sold over 4 million worldwide).  It wasn't until the third and fourth album that Jay-Z beats Game head up in sales (and if you look at the number of spins and video spins you will see a huge difference).

Jay-Z is a solid artist no doubt with a boatload of platinum records, but tell the truth next time you post.  Game isn't some peanut butter artist.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
Game's only video prior to like a month ago (well after they planned the award show) was "Red Nation" & that was banned from TV.

The songs nominated for male artists are over a year old & honestly, more deserving than Game's recent efforts & hands down more popular.

As for Game performing, Jay & Kanye are award shows, they get the nod over Game & Wayne was going to get his turn to rap; he's fucking Lil' Wayne. That was it. Eminem & Drake didn't. Rick Ross didn't. I know you want to act like Hip Hip is the only genre, but Beyonce gets her turn, Pitbull & Ne-Yo had a huge song. Adele made big moves this year. They needed to get other people in of different genres. Lady Gaga is the biggest name in music; obviously got one. LMFAO "Party Rock Anthem" is arguably the biggest song of the year & wasn't played once or nominated the entire night; unless I missed something.

We might as well be making a thread saying Eminem, 50 Cent & Dr. Dre got backballed, especially Em & Dre because "I Need A Doctor" wasn't even spoken about & that released perfectly in time for this show. You're just a moron, love33.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »
The threadstarter doesn't know the difference between the word "blackballed" and the phrase "currently irrelevant".

Guess Love33 is going to ignore this fact.

love33

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
The threadstarter doesn't know the difference between the word "blackballed" and the phrase "currently irrelevant".

The word "irrelevant" is used loosely on here.

You're not "irrelevant" if you just sold 100k units in a week with no major video in rotation.  If he's irrelevant than so is Snoop Dogg because "Doggumentary" sold 80,000 units to date and Game outsold him in one week.  Dr. Dre would be irrelevant too than because he hasn't had an album go platinum since 1999.  This is the logic of some of the people on this forum.   They make a rule then they go against that rule for certain artists.  If Game is irrelevant, every artist on the West Coast is irrelevant because he sold the most of anyone from the West since 2000.  Check the resume.

If he's irrelevant, he wouldn't have songs with Drake, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, E-40, Justin Timberlake, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, etc.

Irrelevant rappers are people like:  Messy Marv, Cadillac Tah, Spider, Swoop G, Hittman, etc.

EML

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
Theres only one way to put this your a Stan you can use what ever dumb logic to justify your self
but facts are facts hes old news im a fan of the Game btw.
Let's get along with the Mexicans
And we can all have peace on the sets again
Imagine that if it took place [ha ha ha]
Keeping the smile off their white faces
2pac
Blacks and Mexicans stop all that bullshit in the pen
Understand that is us verse them
Ice Cube

Jimmy H.

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »
You gotta be kidding me man did you ever actually take a look at the numbers before you wrote this senseless shit?  Game's debut album CRUSHED Jay-Z's "Reasonable Doubt" in sales.  Look at the numbers head up -- Game opened at nearly 600k units with "The Documentary" and quickly went to platinum status and Jay-Z took until 2002 to get certified platinum for Reasonable Doubt (which was due to all the MTV dickriding, nobody paid attention to his shit until after Pac died).  It took Jigga 7 years for his debut to go platinum.

Jay-Z's big break came from MTV pushing him hard with "Can I Get A..." and his feature with Jermaine Dupri on "Money Ain't A Thang" was really when his career was born on the main stage.  After that, his career tookoff like a rocket but thanks to MTV and people being done with Pac (R.I.P) weren't going to listen to Will Smith for the next 5 years so they were looking to MTV for the next big thing.

The Game also outsold Jay-Z if you want to compare their second albums head up as well (Game debuted at #1 and sold over 4 million worldwide).  It wasn't until the third and fourth album that Jay-Z beats Game head up in sales (and if you look at the number of spins and video spins you will see a huge difference).

Jay-Z is a solid artist no doubt with a boatload of platinum records, but tell the truth next time you post.  Game isn't some peanut butter artist.
Yes, genius idea. Let's compare Jay before he blew up (in a completely different decade) to Game in 2005. If we're going debut for debut, I guess Vanilla Ice should be rocking the VMA's since he outsold Jay, Game, and Eminem combined on his mainstream debut.

But since you want to play the "funnyman" card. Alright, let's use first four albums of Jay as a comparison to Game. Alright, here we go.

JAY-Z

Reasonable Doubt, debuted at #23 (sales figures unlisted)
In My Lifetime, debuted at #3
Vol. 2: Hard Knock Life, debuted at #1
Vol. 3: Life and Times of Shawn Carter, debuted at #1 (sold 462,000 copies)

GAME

The Documentary, debuted at #1 (sold 586,000 copies)
Doctor's Advocate, debuted at #1 (sold 358,000 copies)
LAX, debuted at #2 (sold 238,00 copies)
The R.E.D. Album, number not in, (sold 97,000 copies)

Now, looking at those figures, which one is RISING and which one is DECREASING? Alright then, now let's look at this from a more accurate point.

Jay didn't start showing up at the VMA's until he BLEW UP. Correct? Alright, then now the point you're trying to beat home is that Jay is allowed to drop albums that brick and still get invited to the award shows. Alright, now leaving regions and all bullshit out of it. Name me a fucking year where Jay-Z dropped an album that sold less than 100,000 copies on its first week and was still invited to perform?

You're not "irrelevant" if you just sold 100k units in a week with no major video in rotation.  If he's irrelevant than so is Snoop Dogg because "Doggumentary" sold 80,000 units to date and Game outsold him in one week.  Dr. Dre would be irrelevant too than because he hasn't had an album go platinum since 1999.  This is the logic of some of the people on this forum.   They make a rule then they go against that rule for certain artists.  If Game is irrelevant, every artist on the West Coast is irrelevant because he sold the most of anyone from the West since 2000.  Check the resume.

Once again if anyone on here is using "flawed logic", it's you. I'm not saying Game is IRRELEVANT but you're trying to argue that he's doing a lot BIGGER than he in actuality is. He's doing well commercially but he's not so high up that him not being at the VMA's is so baffling. MTV has supported him his entire career. BLACKBALLING is an idiotic scapegoat term used by people who have no clue what it actually means. People who are blackballed get "zero" support from the commodity in question. That's how it operates. They don't do business with you. Period. It's basically like disowning somebody on a business level.

Your argument that MTV is blackballing the West is fucking retarded. Xzibit blew up off of MTV. He then became a household name off of a reality show they gave him, which operated out of.... drum roll... WEST COAST CUSTOMS!!!! I could go on and on but I've wasted enough time throwing facts and numbers at you and watching them fly right off your head. Game is a great artist and a solid-seller but he hasn't had a cross-over single in almost a half decade. He doesn't have a major outside business venture that is blowing up. He doesn't have a reality TV series. He hasn't jumped on an outside artist's hit single (like Snoop with Katy Perry). He's been in the industry too long to be considered "new" but doesn't have a long enough run with consistently hot projects to get by on career longevity. Comparing him to Jay is asinine. Jay is a much bigger artist commercially. Slice it any fucking way you want. Jay-Z generates way more revenue than Game. His lowest-selling solo in the last five years did 420,000 copies on its first week. Game just did under 100,000. Again, when you take these numbers and try to translate it into me "hating" or saying "Game is irrelevant", you manipulate the argument into something that it isn't. Obviously, he IS relevant. However, he isn't a game-changer. He sells a lot but he's never outsold his older sales record, let alone broken any new ones. Jay-Z's music crosses over into the pop charts. He breaks sales records.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 06:32:42 AM »

The word "irrelevant" is used loosely on here.

You're not "irrelevant" if you just sold 100k units in a week with no major video in rotation.  If he's irrelevant than so is Snoop Dogg because "Doggumentary" sold 80,000 units to date and Game outsold him in one week.  Dr. Dre would be irrelevant too than because he hasn't had an album go platinum since 1999.  This is the logic of some of the people on this forum.   They make a rule then they go against that rule for certain artists.  If Game is irrelevant, every artist on the West Coast is irrelevant because he sold the most of anyone from the West since 2000.  Check the resume.

If he's irrelevant, he wouldn't have songs with Drake, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, E-40, Justin Timberlake, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, etc.

Irrelevant rappers are people like:  Messy Marv, Cadillac Tah, Spider, Swoop G, Hittman, etc.

You don't get it, let me bold it and italicize for you (and underline the word currently because you obviously missed that).

HE WAS NOT CURRENTLY RELEVANT DURING THE TIME PERIOD ELIGIBLE TO BE NOMINATED FOR A VMA.

love33

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
Slice it any fucking way you want. Jay-Z generates way more revenue than Game. His lowest-selling solo in the last five years did 420,000 copies on its first week. Game just did under 100,000. Again, when you take these numbers and try to translate it into me "hating" or saying "Game is irrelevant", you manipulate the argument into something that it isn't. Obviously, he IS relevant. However, he isn't a game-changer. He sells a lot but he's never outsold his older sales record, let alone broken any new ones. Jay-Z's music crosses over into the pop charts. He breaks sales records.

I agree with you that Jay-Z sells more right now, but it's also because:
1. He has the whole city of NY behind him (walk into NY and say some of the shit people say here about Game calling him "fake," a "namedropper," "washed up," "irrelevant," whatever and poeple would smack you in NY if you said that about Jigga -- he gets mad respect on his territory) -- Game even said it in interviews, the biggest problem on the West is that the West hates the West.  So a hot artist from Cali drops an album and only a quarter of the people support it.  Where in the East and especially the South, the people support the artists.  People love Jay-Z in NY.  Go read some of the topics here and 50% of the people hate The Game.  Except for 2Pac, there's barely any Westcoast artists that get close to a unanimous curtain call.
2. Getting his main video banned (again) didn't help his cause -- the R.E.D. Nation being banned just cut right into his sales as that video was going to be the main piece that pushed the project.  The Lil Wayne track he had on L.A.X. helped give him a late push --
3. Game doesn't make shit off his mixtapes.  His mixtapes don't put food on the table, but he has given us enough good free tracks the past year to make 3-4 good albums.
4. He doesn't make nearly close to the amount of television appearances that Jay-Z gets.
5. He doesn't get free promotion from ESPN all the time (Jay-Z gets mentioned on ESPN constantly because he owns the 40/40 club in NY and he owns part of the NJ Nets).  The Sportscenter announcers even use his rhymes in their highlights and they show his face all the time like they are told to dickride him by their higher ups.
6. Jay-Z gets more Hollywood mention because he is with Beyonce so TMZ is always following her around and when he's with her it keeps his name in people's mouths and his face in people's minds.
7. Jay-Z has the largest media market in the country on his side.  NY is the biggest media giant and pumps his music, promotes his local events.  LA is no cow town either, but it's not nearly the mass size of the NY media market which also ties in the New Jersey market and outreaches all the way to DC and Boston.  Covering that kind of population and the radio power gives any NY artist an advantage whether it's Jay-Z or LL Cool J.  That's a machine over there and they always try to blow their own artists up rather than play everyone else's music like most of the West stations.

And that's why I give him his props because nobody on the West is dropping the amount of quality material that Game has dropped all year on us that you can just pump into your cd player and let play.  "Hoodmorning" and "Purp and Patron" were like album releases in themselves and they all fit the "R.E.D." theme Game has been working off of this year so you gotta give him props musically for being consistent in 2011.

xxrayrayxx

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SouthSiders XIII
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
MTV has fell off. MTV IS NO LONGER RELAVENT. They dont even play music videos anymore. They only skim through a few of them. BET is on the same route that MTV went down too. ITs all about reality television. Why should it matter if Game was there or not.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/hlAvgNjzukg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/hlAvgNjzukg</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/FjYQvYk0i7g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/FjYQvYk0i7g</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/HYEDlzaafLU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/HYEDlzaafLU</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/LiyY8C5fdK4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/LiyY8C5fdK4</a>

What Doesnt Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
--no video play for Warren G's "Lookin At You" off his big Universal release "Return of Regulator" album (Warren was a superstar heading into that album where he fell)
Superstar? No he wasn't. Maybe after Regulate... G Funk Era, but Take a Look Over Your Shoulder was wack as fuck, but MTV still played I Shot the Sheriff. I Want It All wasn't that dope either. It's not a surprise that he didn't get much rotation after that.
--minimal airplay for "Who Ride Wit Us" which was huge on the 'Up In Smoke Tour' and went Gold
The video wasn't good at all... complete mismatch for such a dope song.
--Shade Shiest with Kurupt & Nate Dogg "Where I Wanna Be" (had to watch this one at 2am on BET cause MTV wouldnt play it)
The song had hardly any buzz in the mainstream outside of California.
--Game "One Blood" banned by MTV
MTV doesn't want to participate in the obvious display of gang affiliation. HOWEVER, they did have Game perform One Blood on TRL, though he was just saying "One" instead of "Blood."
--Crooked I "Still Tha Row" video banned by MTV
That song wasn't gonna blow, plus outside of the West Coast, very few people gave a fuck about Crooked I.
--Game ft. Lil Wayne "R.E.D. Nation" banned by MTV
...for the same reason as One Blood
--Naughty by Nature "Mourn You Til I Join You [Tupac Tribute]" one of the greatest vids of all time; MTV was too busy playin Puffy "Missin You"
Naturally a Puffy song is going to get more attention, especially since that was an '80s sample-happy period. His single alone did 2 or 3 million. What did NBN do? They're not even West Coast anyway, so I don't know why they came up. Sure, it's a Pac tribute, but still not West Coast.

Had this trend went the other way we probably might have saw videos for tracks like: DJ Quik ft. Dr. Dre "Put It On Me," "Black Mercedes," "High Come Down" by Chico & Coolwadda, Luniz "A Piece Of Me" ft. Fat Joe, DJ Quik "50 Wayz," Hi-C "I Don't Wanna Know" ft. Nate Dogg.  A lot of artists quit doing videos because they knew they were going to get "overlooked" by MTV.
Not that those songs were bad, but they just weren't trendy. MTV's not about playing stuff that appeals to a very small audience that doesn't even watch MTV anyway, but BET. So it makes sense.

We basically lost a whole era of priceless music that should be now-classics.  And there's more I'm just too tired to keep typing this shit.  They blackballed a whole era of great music.
How does MTV not giving heavy rotation to West Coats songs mean that we "lost a whole era of priceless music"? We got the music, it just didn't get played on ONE channel.

In addition, I bet you could find two or three times as many East Coast rappers and their songs that got looked over by MTV as well. Same thing with other regions. Bone Thugs got heavy rotation before, but not after The Art of War. Why? Because their buzz was dying down, and their new stuff wasn't as good. Same thing with the Game as of recent. HOWEVER, they did still play Wouldn't Get Far, so you can't hate on them.

Also, MTV banned Hit 'Em Up for reasons that I understand. Does that mean that they blackballed Pac back in the day? No. His other videos got heavy rotation, and later videos like I Ain't Mad at Cha and To Live & Die in L.A. got HEAVY rotation.

This and them jimmy h post are some networth, and I must add for the 90's cats, when all rap city  and yo mtv raps started playing 90% of west coast all the time was that fair in yall eyes and did that mean they was blackballing the south and the east underground artist? Yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

love33

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
MTV has fell off. MTV IS NO LONGER RELAVENT. They dont even play music videos anymore. They only skim through a few of them. BET is on the same route that MTV went down too. ITs all about reality television. Why should it matter if Game was there or not.

You don't think that helped Lil Wayne sell mad units when MTV told everyone on their award show to go buy the Carter IV on ITunes?  Imagine had Game got his mention also.

love33

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »
This and them jimmy h post are some networth, and I must add for the 90's cats, when all rap city  and yo mtv raps started playing 90% of west coast all the time was that fair in yall eyes and did that mean they was blackballing the south and the east underground artist? Yell

The South didnt really have an identity until Crunk came along with the finger snappin and deep southern base. Eightball & MJG, Outkast, Bushwick Bill, Scarface were mostly rappin over Westcoast beats and some were even usin G-Funk tracks in the South in the 90's.  Even when No Limit came along they were still "West Coast Bad Boyz."

On the East, Nas, LL, Naughty, Wu Tang, and B.I.G. was the big faces and they got their play.

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »

The South didnt really have an identity until Crunk came along with the finger snappin and deep southern base. Eightball & MJG, Outkast, Bushwick Bill, Scarface were mostly rappin over Westcoast beats and some were even usin G-Funk tracks in the South in the 90's.  Even when No Limit came along they were still "West Coast Bad Boyz."

On the East, Nas, LL, Naughty, Wu Tang, and B.I.G. was the big faces and they got their play.
i dont know, alot of that old south shit still had its own kinda sound to it but it definitely had a lot of g funk influence. and when no limit was doing the westcoast bad boys it was actually out of richmond, ca and had good shit like rbl, cougnut, c bo ray luv and all of that

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.