Author Topic: Sam Sneed - Street Scholars (Original Album) (Discussion Thread)  (Read 6597 times)

sms130

• 'G'
Re: Sam Sneed - Street Scholars (Original Album) (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
anybody else hear elements of natural born killaz on the heist track?
Of course, that was the original. Natural Born Killaz came from The Heist. Sam addressed this a while ago. Dre just took Sam's idea to the next level with Natural Born Killaz. Originally Sam was on the Natural Born Killaz song then, it was changed into a Dre and Ice Cube cut that we all know about.

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
what do you know about that project?
I don't know too much about it but, it was some songs recorded for it or was in the works for that project. "California Love" was originally for that project, The Chronic II. That's been documented along with a few other songs as well that remains in the vault. From what I've read, that's part of the reason why the original 2Pac version didn't make it on All Eyez On Me and the remix did (I could be wrong).

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
Damn, these songs are so dope. I just wish they were all in CDQ. "Ghetto Hero" has a same soundin' sample/sound that was used in MC Eiht's "Hood Took Me Under". "Street Scholars" has the same chorus as J.Flexx's and Dr. Dre's "Street Scholars". I hope we can hear that one in CDQ too in the future. Death Row Records should have really released this album back in 1994/1995.
I totally agree with you on that one, they should have released that album. It's a great piece. The only song I did hear that I wanna hear in full is the song called "Lyrical Assassin", that was off the bootleg snippet of the album. That's dope too! J.Flexx took that beat and turned it into his "Street Scholars" cut. For some reason, I refuse to believe that's Dre on J. Flexx's version. From what I've read, that was done after Dre and Sam left Death Row. I could be wrong on that one.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
I'm So Hot is clearly unfinished, but you can tell Dr. Dre was supposed to be featuring on it.

How can you tell?

Okka

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
Damn, these songs are so dope. I just wish they were all in CDQ. "Ghetto Hero" has a same soundin' sample/sound that was used in MC Eiht's "Hood Took Me Under". "Street Scholars" has the same chorus as J.Flexx's and Dr. Dre's "Street Scholars". I hope we can hear that one in CDQ too in the future. Death Row Records should have really released this album back in 1994/1995.
I totally agree with you on that one, they should have released that album. It's a great piece. The only song I did hear that I wanna hear in full is the song called "Lyrical Assassin", that was off the bootleg snippet of the album. That's dope too! J.Flexx took that beat and turned it into his "Street Scholars" cut. For some reason, I refuse to believe that's Dre on J. Flexx's version. From what I've read, that was done after Dre and Sam left Death Row. I could be wrong on that one.

Where did you read that? Definitely sounds like Dr. Dre.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »
I don't know too much about it but, it was some songs recorded for it or was in the works for that project. "California Love" was originally for that project, The Chronic II. That's been documented along with a few other songs as well that remains in the vault. From what I've read, that's part of the reason why the original 2Pac version didn't make it on All Eyez On Me and the remix did (I could be wrong).
i see, thanks. yeah i've read about california love. i wasn't sure if dre really planned to put it on the chronic II or that it was speculation.
i don't understand why dre came up with the title chronic II anyway, since he was tired of gangsta rap.

yeah

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
I'm So Hot is clearly unfinished, but you can tell Dr. Dre was supposed to be featuring on it.

How can you tell?

Listen to the song, Sam Sneed tees Dre up for the last verse and then someone (Sneed or Drauma) ghost raps his lyrics.

Will_B

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 03:17:43 PM »
Dre's verse on I'm So Hot would've been classic.

"Relax. Floatin over the track slow motion, coastin in the Benz and the skins like lotion.
Tokin on a fat, packin a big black..gat..fat sack, livin like a fat cat.
Who dat? The head nigga in charge like Joe Clark*. The Principle invincible, once the show start.
The spark increase gettin the hoes in pieces..I release peace to regulate the concrete streets.
And get your ass up off the wall..yes y'all, it's me and Sam continue to get up in you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Louis_Clark

HighEyeCue

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
i see, thanks. yeah i've read about california love. i wasn't sure if dre really planned to put it on the chronic II or that it was speculation.
i don't understand why dre came up with the title chronic II anyway, since he was tired of gangsta rap.

yeah

Chronic II was going to be on Death Row, when Dre left and went to Aftermath the album was supposed to be called Papa's got a brand new funk

Okka

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 04:00:31 PM »
Chronic II was going to be on Death Row, when Dre left and went to Aftermath the album was supposed to be called Papa's got a brand new funk

Nah, it was gonna be called The Chronic II: Papa's Got A Brand New Funk.

Matty

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
so where is Efrain at ;D 8)

i love the sound on all these tracks its kinda the basis for dre's early aftermath stuff, really dark, maybe a lil funkier. reminds me of the vibe on the hittman album too 8)

i'm still hoping he'll be able to look at the danny boy sometime. steppin' 8)

that's prolly gon' be it for these tracks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:36:13 PM by Matty »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
i fucks wit it.  just listening to these songs makes u KNOW that "The Chronic II: A New World Odor (Poppa's Got A Brand New Funk)" would've been better than the original "The Chronic" for sure.

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »
so where is Efrain at ;D 8)

i love the sound on all these tracks its kinda the basis for dre's early aftermath stuff, really dark, maybe a lil funkier. reminds me of the vibe on the hittman album too 8)

i'm still hoping he'll be able to look at the danny boy sometime. steppin' 8)

that's prolly gon' be it for these tracks.

yea, i think bud'da or someone said that sam and them had developed that dark "pittsburgh sound" before death row, and that was the basis for the early aftermath sound.

sam's production was just crazy back then. these dirty ass harmonies... are like nothing i've ever heard before. where is he getting these samples and sound effects from??? sam must have dug like  a beast, and then on top of that just put these elements together in a way like i've really never heard anywhere else. wow. maybe he had barney rubble helping out on keys to provide that musical knowledge. these beats almost sound like those harmonic minor keys scott storch loves to use, but DIRTIER and more dissonant.

wouldn't be surprised if barney had a hand in this, since he played keys on better recognize and produced a lot of stuff for flexx.

i don't think this album was ever totally finished. the tracklist has always been a lil different every time i've seen it, and a few songs are missing verses. i think that guilty as sin and the better recognize remix were supposed to be on the final tracklist. it's clear that whoever put this together slapped on a cdq of lady heroin and better recognize.

btw, i know it says 95 on the album art, but i think these songs might be even older. keep in mind the heist has to be from BEFORE nbk....

sam needs to put out the rest of his vault. these beats are almost dilla-esque in the sense that they are so dirty, so atmospheric, and also so damn original.

bad-n-fluenz supporter of the dangerous crew movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »
just listened to it...wish the quality was better but its still good to hear it. send me a message if u want to discuss it  ;)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »
lol its kinda funny that they would get their panties in a bunch over a link to the album in this thread when everyone is DLing it and discussing it here like it ain't no thang.