Poll

whatdoyasay?

punkass sellout
18 (40%)
money motivates, handle biz
27 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?  (Read 3776 times)

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
snoop came smooth on otherwise trash track

but nigga making money of that shit, probably got paid 6 figures to jump on that track, so what?
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
lol @ NIK saying he doesn't listen to Waka & Bieber.

Nigga, you don't listen to anyone that was introduced post-2000.

I remember that picture of some of those albums you had, I don't think one was from a 21st century artist. So don't act like you don't fuck with the poor acts of this past decade, you just skipped it.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2011, 10:09:12 PM »
I mean let's keep it real, Snoop sold out when he signed a recording contract before he even made Doggystyle or the Chronic.  After that, he is property of his label and therefore it is them dictating to him what features he does, how his music sounds, what his lyrics say (ie ghostwriters) what his album artwork looks like etc.  I'm not dissing him for that, just stating the situation.

I mean honestly Snoops music (his albums at least) have largely been weak for about 10 years now. Like how yall are appalled by this feature is how I felt the first time I heard "Drop It Like It's Hot".  The song in and of itself was great for what it was, but seeing Snoop do some of the most played out trends at the time - ie Neptunes production (and again, don't get me wrong, Neptunes did some brilliant shit in their prime) and an over the top simplistic / minimalist approach to hip hop beats (like The Whistle Song by Ying Yang, some shit by David Banner and a bunch of other joints coming out of ATL at the time).  For somebody that was actually listening to hip hop when albums like the Chronic and Doggystyle came out, it was kinda lame because that shit was so played out. 

I def think Snoop has the ability to make great music, but his label pigeonholes him.  But since he's under contract, there's not shit he can do about it, and honestly that's the agreement he made when he got into the business.

The truth is that no matter what features he does or what music he makes in the future has no bearing on his classic work.  I'll prolly be bumping that shit randomly till I die lol.  He still seems like the cool dude he always was and seems like he's having fun, and puts on a good live show with his band and shit. 

So I say props to Snoop, play on playa.

Oh and here's Nas' 3rd verse from "Hero" which was his lead single from Untitled.  He's directly speaking on this:

This universal apartheid (meaning Universal studios)
I'm hog-tied, the corporate side
Blocking y'all from going to stores and buying it
First L.A. and Doug Morris was riding wit it
But Newsweek article startled big wigs
They said, Nas, why is he trying it?
My lawyers only see the Billboard charts as winning
Forgetting - Nas the only true rebel since the beginning
Still in musical prison, in jail for the flow
Try telling Bob Dylan, Bruce, or Billy Joel
They can't sing what's in their soul

So untitled it is
I never change nothin'
But people remember this
If Nas can't say it, think about these talented kids
With new ideas being told what they can and can't spit
I can't sit and watch it
So, sh! t, I'ma drop it
Like it or not
You ain't gotta cop it

I'm a hustler in the studio
Cups of Don Julio
No matter what the CD called
I'm unbeatable, y'all

this post is pretty on point...but in that sense, snoop sold out way b4 "drop it like it's hot", back when he signed with no limit and droppin dirty south tracks, which was the popular trend at the time.

No Limit was the biggest label at the time, and they were making dope original music w/ their own in house production team Beats By The Pound.  BBTP weren't doing pop songs for britney spears and shit like that.  I was anticipating his no limit album a lot when it came out, and there were some dope records on his NL debut. 

Snoop signed to them in what, 98?  The south wasn't really blowing up like that at the time.  Cash Money hadn't even blown up yet.  The south really started to blow in the early-mid 2000's with that "ringtone rap", and Snoop was jumping on that fad w/ Drop It Like It's Hot.

LOL, what are u talkin about...No Limit was the hottest label at the time Snoop signed, and Snoop hopped on their steez. "Da Game" was a pretty whack album, with the exception of a few cuts. If you wanna say he sold out with Neptunes, you might as well say he sold out with Master P & Beats by the Pound.

Snoop went to NL to get off Death Row and it was his best option at the time. And you're right, No Limit (and badboy) were the biggest labels at the time. Maybe you weren't into NL, but they were the biggest because they brought something original and had some really dope rappers and production, and that shit was raw. Everybody was feelin their shit at the time, and based on his NL features prior to him signing, most people were anticipating that.

Eventhough his 1st NL album wasn't classic, he did make some dope songs on there. And if I wasn't on my phone I'd up some of his NL features where he rips the beat like he hadn't done since doggystyle. So he def meshed well with BBTP, but ultimately peeps wanted his more traditional westcoast beats. That's why his 2nd album is about 50/50 NL/west and his 3rd was like 20/80 NL/west.

Nobody was looking at it as a sellout move at the time lol.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »
Is I Need A Doctor really that big of a hit? Maybe it's just me who is not caught up in the game anymore. But back when I was a kid, songs like Still Dre where everywhere, and anyone knew the beat, even people who hated rap and shit. Now I'm much more isolated from things like radio or what the kids listen to on their ipod or what gets played during teenage parties, but I really can't imagine I Need A Doctor being bigger than Still Dre. I never even accidently come across the song in real life. Only when I open up the file on my laptop.

no, you're right.."I Need a Doctor" is nowhere near being Dre's biggest hit. He has songs that are recognized universally, and "I Need a Doctor" is not one of 'em. The only thing is that "I Need a Doctor" was his second highest SELLING single, but with the introduction of Itunes singles selling for 99 cent in recent years, that figure means jack shit. Itunes has changed the game in terms of single sales, and anyone who fails to factor this into the equation (cham, spice-2) is a complete fucking moron.

Sales and radio spins....what more do you want? Those are the most important numbers to go by. Statistics >> the opinion of a kid who is stuck in the 90s.

how am i stuck in the 90s? because i dont bump wacka flocka and justin bieber? lmao...ur gay, buddy. and "i need a doctor" has nowhere NEAR the radio spins of his other singles, u just made that up yourself.

The Billboard counts spins as well as sales. Check yourself. The fact that Still Dre only made it to 95 on the charts and then fell off, speaks for itself.

So sales make it his biggest hit?  That song is without a doubt the worst song Dre had ever been a part of. Besides, I'm sure the sales numbers are bullishit anyway, they all are inflated which is why you will see enormous first week sales and then a major drop off immediately after.  The industry is a joke and I can't wait until all of those labels and media related to it die.

What you think of the song is irrelevant to this argument. It's still done better popularity-wise than all but one of his other songs. Will it be a Dre staple? Not to me. But its done better in the time it was released comparative to anything from 2001. The fanboy in you won't see reason.

Hahahahaha go ahead an let sales tell u what's good...I feel sorry for ur motha

Jimmy H.

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Sales might not determine what is good but they are a pretty good measuring stick of what is a hit.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:39 PM »
Sales might not determine what is good but they are a pretty good measuring stick of what is a hit.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »

Game-Won

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 03:01:22 AM »
I understand why he does it...

But i want more doggystyle / dogg food type albums... best flow area in rap... Even when he freestyled back then he fuckin killed everything.. Give those times back.

SNOOP DOGGY DOGG -> Snoop Dogg .. add the middle again..
"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »

So you think INAD was a bigger hit and more popular than G Thang or What's My Name or Forgot About Dre?

That's industry talk clouding your brain.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »
Is I Need A Doctor really that big of a hit? Maybe it's just me who is not caught up in the game anymore. But back when I was a kid, songs like Still Dre where everywhere, and anyone knew the beat, even people who hated rap and shit. Now I'm much more isolated from things like radio or what the kids listen to on their ipod or what gets played during teenage parties, but I really can't imagine I Need A Doctor being bigger than Still Dre. I never even accidently come across the song in real life. Only when I open up the file on my laptop.

no, you're right.."I Need a Doctor" is nowhere near being Dre's biggest hit. He has songs that are recognized universally, and "I Need a Doctor" is not one of 'em. The only thing is that "I Need a Doctor" was his second highest SELLING single, but with the introduction of Itunes singles selling for 99 cent in recent years, that figure means jack shit. Itunes has changed the game in terms of single sales, and anyone who fails to factor this into the equation (cham, spice-2) is a complete fucking moron.

Sales and radio spins....what more do you want? Those are the most important numbers to go by. Statistics >> the opinion of a kid who is stuck in the 90s.

how am i stuck in the 90s? because i dont bump wacka flocka and justin bieber? lmao...ur gay, buddy. and "i need a doctor" has nowhere NEAR the radio spins of his other singles, u just made that up yourself.

The Billboard counts spins as well as sales. Check yourself. The fact that Still Dre only made it to 95 on the charts and then fell off, speaks for itself.

So sales make it his biggest hit?  That song is without a doubt the worst song Dre had ever been a part of. Besides, I'm sure the sales numbers are bullishit anyway, they all are inflated which is why you will see enormous first week sales and then a major drop off immediately after.  The industry is a joke and I can't wait until all of those labels and media related to it die.

What you think of the song is irrelevant to this argument. It's still done better popularity-wise than all but one of his other songs. Will it be a Dre staple? Not to me. But its done better in the time it was released comparative to anything from 2001. The fanboy in you won't see reason.

You think INAD was more popular than those songs i listed above?  You don't know what you're talking about.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2011, 11:34:10 AM »
snoop went to nl because one thing...master p was the only person out of all the labels at the time..that wasnt scared to go deal with suge...

he got snoop out his deal... and changed all of snoops work.. dropped doggy dogg...the publishing ...etc...

suge thought he was finna get a dr dre eazy e deal...n he could eat off em..

suge couldnt eat off shit of snoop ...cept the stuff he had in the vault..thats why he tried to release those albums..kuz once p signed the papers n got snoop to new orleans...suge got fucked..

Quadruple OG

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »
snoop went to nl because one thing...master p was the only person out of all the labels at the time..that wasnt scared to go deal with suge...

he got snoop out his deal... and changed all of snoops work.. dropped doggy dogg...the publishing ...etc...

suge thought he was finna get a dr dre eazy e deal...n he could eat off em..

suge couldnt eat off shit of snoop ...cept the stuff he had in the vault..thats why he tried to release those albums..kuz once p signed the papers n got snoop to new orleans...suge got fucked..

I'm pretty sure Suge Knight was still getting paid off of Snoop's No Limit material.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
So you think INAD was a bigger hit and more popular than G Thang or What's My Name or Forgot About Dre?
On an individual chart level? Yes. It was a bigger hit. However, popularity is a tough thing to measure. Those songs you mention are from a different era and have aged significantly well in the 10-18 years they've been out. But the fact is "I Need A Doctor" is one of Dr. Dre's most succesful singles.

What industry talk exactly? We're on the same forum. Having the same discussion. I'm not on a cell phone chatting it up with Teddy Chung about points on the next Snoop record. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »

FACT: It's a bigger hit in 2011 than Dre's other singles were in the years they were released (with the exception of G Thang). If not sales or radio spins what the fuck do you want to judge it by? Your ranking of the favorite songs from your childhood is not a measure of how popular songs were.

Sccit

« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »
lol @ NIK saying he doesn't listen to Waka & Bieber.

Nigga, you don't listen to anyone that was introduced post-2000.

I remember that picture of some of those albums you had, I don't think one was from a 21st century artist. So don't act like you don't fuck with the poor acts of this past decade, you just skipped it.

another lie fabricated with the intention of u gaining a false feeling of being on my level when u clearly aint...I listen to a gang of new school rappers. theyre just not the gay ones that u love 2 bump and u probably aint even heard of most of em. c-lim, skari, loki, etc. if a rapper came out post-90's and he's tight, i will bump his shit...hell, i even bump some hopsin and tyler shit, because they come with some dope shit...i even been makin threads about dope newschool rappers, but ur 2 stuck up in ur gayness to even realize. bottom line, time to hop off, fagboy.