Poll

whatdoyasay?

punkass sellout
18 (40%)
money motivates, handle biz
27 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?  (Read 3788 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »
So you think INAD was a bigger hit and more popular than G Thang or What's My Name or Forgot About Dre?
On an individual chart level? Yes. It was a bigger hit. However, popularity is a tough thing to measure. Those songs you mention are from a different era and have aged significantly well in the 10-18 years they've been out. But the fact is "I Need A Doctor" is one of Dr. Dre's most succesful singles.

This is correct. Lasting appeal is something that occurs over time and is different than instantaneous popularity. "I Need a Doctor" just came out, so no one knows how relevant it will be to Dre's career 10 years from now. For example, "NY State of Mind" didn't have a big impact for Nas when it came out, but its lasting appeal to his fans has made it one of Nas's most memorable songs. "I Can" was Nas's most successful single, but I doubt his core fanbase thinks much of it.

Sccit

Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »
I mean let's keep it real, Snoop sold out when he signed a recording contract before he even made Doggystyle or the Chronic.  After that, he is property of his label and therefore it is them dictating to him what features he does, how his music sounds, what his lyrics say (ie ghostwriters) what his album artwork looks like etc.  I'm not dissing him for that, just stating the situation.

I mean honestly Snoops music (his albums at least) have largely been weak for about 10 years now. Like how yall are appalled by this feature is how I felt the first time I heard "Drop It Like It's Hot".  The song in and of itself was great for what it was, but seeing Snoop do some of the most played out trends at the time - ie Neptunes production (and again, don't get me wrong, Neptunes did some brilliant shit in their prime) and an over the top simplistic / minimalist approach to hip hop beats (like The Whistle Song by Ying Yang, some shit by David Banner and a bunch of other joints coming out of ATL at the time).  For somebody that was actually listening to hip hop when albums like the Chronic and Doggystyle came out, it was kinda lame because that shit was so played out. 

I def think Snoop has the ability to make great music, but his label pigeonholes him.  But since he's under contract, there's not shit he can do about it, and honestly that's the agreement he made when he got into the business.

The truth is that no matter what features he does or what music he makes in the future has no bearing on his classic work.  I'll prolly be bumping that shit randomly till I die lol.  He still seems like the cool dude he always was and seems like he's having fun, and puts on a good live show with his band and shit. 

So I say props to Snoop, play on playa.

Oh and here's Nas' 3rd verse from "Hero" which was his lead single from Untitled.  He's directly speaking on this:

This universal apartheid (meaning Universal studios)
I'm hog-tied, the corporate side
Blocking y'all from going to stores and buying it
First L.A. and Doug Morris was riding wit it
But Newsweek article startled big wigs
They said, Nas, why is he trying it?
My lawyers only see the Billboard charts as winning
Forgetting - Nas the only true rebel since the beginning
Still in musical prison, in jail for the flow
Try telling Bob Dylan, Bruce, or Billy Joel
They can't sing what's in their soul

So untitled it is
I never change nothin'
But people remember this
If Nas can't say it, think about these talented kids
With new ideas being told what they can and can't spit
I can't sit and watch it
So, sh! t, I'ma drop it
Like it or not
You ain't gotta cop it

I'm a hustler in the studio
Cups of Don Julio
No matter what the CD called
I'm unbeatable, y'all

this post is pretty on point...but in that sense, snoop sold out way b4 "drop it like it's hot", back when he signed with no limit and droppin dirty south tracks, which was the popular trend at the time.

No Limit was the biggest label at the time, and they were making dope original music w/ their own in house production team Beats By The Pound.  BBTP weren't doing pop songs for britney spears and shit like that.  I was anticipating his no limit album a lot when it came out, and there were some dope records on his NL debut. 

Snoop signed to them in what, 98?  The south wasn't really blowing up like that at the time.  Cash Money hadn't even blown up yet.  The south really started to blow in the early-mid 2000's with that "ringtone rap", and Snoop was jumping on that fad w/ Drop It Like It's Hot.

LOL, what are u talkin about...No Limit was the hottest label at the time Snoop signed, and Snoop hopped on their steez. "Da Game" was a pretty whack album, with the exception of a few cuts. If you wanna say he sold out with Neptunes, you might as well say he sold out with Master P & Beats by the Pound.

Snoop went to NL to get off Death Row and it was his best option at the time. And you're right, No Limit (and badboy) were the biggest labels at the time. Maybe you weren't into NL, but they were the biggest because they brought something original and had some really dope rappers and production, and that shit was raw. Everybody was feelin their shit at the time, and based on his NL features prior to him signing, most people were anticipating that.

Eventhough his 1st NL album wasn't classic, he did make some dope songs on there. And if I wasn't on my phone I'd up some of his NL features where he rips the beat like he hadn't done since doggystyle. So he def meshed well with BBTP, but ultimately peeps wanted his more traditional westcoast beats. That's why his 2nd album is about 50/50 NL/west and his 3rd was like 20/80 NL/west.

Nobody was looking at it as a sellout move at the time lol.

i dunno where u were, but a lot of people did consider snoop movin 2 no limit a sell-out move, callin him a punk for abandoning the west and headin on south, which was gaining more popularity at the time. not sayin every1 said that he was sellin out, but there was definitely a group of peeps who were against the move. either way, there isn't a big difference between what neptunes were doing to what no limit was doing. neptunes were still hip-hop, so him makin songs like "beautiful", "it blows my mind" and "drop it like it's hot" was really no different from him hoppin on the master p sound. "da game" is amongst snoop's worst albums..... when he started leaving hip-hop and venturing over into pop, now that's a whole different story.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:45:12 PM by NIKCC »

Sccit

« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
Sales might not determine what is good but they are a pretty good measuring stick of what is a hit.

So you think INAD was a bigger hit and more popular than G Thang or What's My Name or Forgot About Dre?

That's industry talk clouding your brain.

FACT: It's a bigger hit in 2011 than Dre's other singles were in the years they were released (with the exception of G Thang). If not sales or radio spins what the fuck do you want to judge it by? Your ranking of the favorite songs from your childhood is not a measure of how popular songs were.

when u continuously choose to ignore the fact that single sales have sky-rocketed since the introduction of itune singles for 99 cents and u continuously dodge that fact in every single one of ur posts, it just goes to show what a fucking moron u are. thats the end of it.

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »
Sales might not determine what is good but they are a pretty good measuring stick of what is a hit.

FACT: It's a bigger hit in 2011 than Dre's other singles were in the years they were released (with the exception of G Thang). If not sales or radio spins what the fuck do you want to judge it by? Your ranking of the favorite songs from your childhood is not a measure of how popular songs were.

when u continuously choose to ignore the fact that single sales have sky-rocketed since the introduction of itune singles for 99 cents and u continuously dodge that fact in every single one of ur posts, it just goes to show what a fucking moron u are. thats the end of it.

Gotta agree with that. Really need to stop comparing single sales of today with something 10-15 years ago that didn't offer the option of purchasing songs off a few clicks of a button.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »

lol @ saying "dodge". Nigga, we've explained time & time again that it's easier to download it for free then buy it. Your "excuse" for that was, "14 year old girls (who love Dre's music apparently) are running to download his new single in CDQ (because they know the difference apparently)".

Son, you always tell me I'm young, I'm this, I'm that, let me just explain this to you from the actual position of being a "kid". I don't know a single person who buys music off of iTunes. People on Facebook straight up post mediafire & hulkshare links as statuses allowing everyone & their mother to download a new popular song.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
that's a popular black pop sampler in germany that just hit the stores:

Disk 1:

01. Champagne Showers – Lmfao
02. Free – Natalia Kills
03. Super Bass – Nicki Minaj
04. Give Me Everything – Pitbull
05. Don’t Wanna Go Home – Jason Derulo
06. Own This Club – Marvin Priest
07. Danza Kuduro – Lucenzo
08. Welcome To St. Tropez – Dj Antoine..
09. The Bomb – Pigeon John
10. Out Of My Head – Lupe Fiasco
11. If I Was You (Omg) – Snoop Dogg & Far East Movement
12. Motivation – Rowland, Kelly
13. Who Dat Girl – Flo Rida
14. In The Dark – Dev
15. Don’t Stop The Party – Black Eyed Peas
16. The Edge Of Glory – Lady GaGa
17. Spaceship – Dappy, Tinchy Stryder
18. Could It Be You (Punk Rock Chick) – Brandyn H*Wood Bordeaux
19. Bounce – Harris, Calvin
20. Closer – Ekow
21. Energy – Spank Rock

Disk 2:

01. New Age – Marlon Roudette
02. Right There – Scherzinger, Nicole
03. Best Love Song – T-Pain
04. I’m Into You – Lopez, Jennifer
05. The Lazy Song – Bruno Mars
06. Green Lights – Aloe Blacc
07. Nobody’s Perfect – Jessie J
08. Ass On The Floor – Diddy – Dirty Money
09. California King Bed – Rihanna
10. Celui – Colonel Reyel
11. Black And Yellow – Wiz Khalifa
12. Boom – Snoop Dogg
13. Down On Me – Jeremih
14. I’m On One – Dj Khaled
15. Ballin’ – Young Jeezy
16. Paris Va Bien – Sexion D’assaut
17. C’est La Vie – Soprano
18. Spiegelbild – Fler
19. Poesie Album – Deluxe, Samy
20. Traktor – Wretch 32
21. So Perfekt – Casper

i need a doctor wasn't even close to making it. niggas is bullshittin with those itunes sales. back in the day you had to buy a fucking CD for several bucks, now it's 99 cents off of click, a fucking click.
niggas ain't playing i need a doctor on the streets at all. bitches aint dropping clothes to it at all.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »
INAD had little impact in Europe ... this song has been quickly forgotten while everybody and their mama know "Still Dre" and "The next episode" ... Billboard numbers doesn't say it all ... do you really think "Drop it like it's hot" is a bigger hit than "What's my name " ?

Sccit

« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »

lol @ saying "dodge". Nigga, we've explained time & time again that it's easier to download it for free then buy it. Your "excuse" for that was, "14 year old girls (who love Dre's music apparently) are running to download his new single in CDQ (because they know the difference apparently)".

Son, you always tell me I'm young, I'm this, I'm that, let me just explain this to you from the actual position of being a "kid". I don't know a single person who buys music off of iTunes. People on Facebook straight up post mediafire & hulkshare links as statuses allowing everyone & their mother to download a new popular song.

yet, still, the number of single sales have increased immensely in current years..and u are too fucking slow to understand this. u are arguing a STATISTIC, something u claimed me to do, u dumbass child. step ur game up. DRASTICALLY.

Sccit

« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
INAD had little impact in Europe ... this song has been quickly forgotten while everybody and their mama know "Still Dre" and "The next episode" ... Billboard numbers doesn't say it all ... do you really think "Drop it like it's hot" is a bigger hit than "What's my name " ?

these kids are simply too stupid to understand simple logic. no matter what u say, they are so dumb that they will not be convinced otherwise. sad mufuckaz.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2011, 02:44:42 PM »
  do you really think "Drop it like it's hot" is a bigger hit than "What's my name " ?
Yes, I do. When the President of the fucking United States is talking about your song and dancing to it, that's pretty big. I don't like "Drop It Like It's Hot" but it's one of, if not THE, biggest hit of Snoop's career.

Gotta agree with that. Really need to stop comparing single sales of today with something 10-15 years ago that didn't offer the option of purchasing songs off a few clicks of a button.
I agree that it's a much different market BUT are you actually trying to argue that it's easier to SELL music, now? Everything is basically free to anyone with the slighest bit of technical savy at all. Any song I want to hear right now, I can hear it in about 12 seconds. Instantly. And there's a flood of options. Yes, it's only ninety-nine cents to download a song but there's a shit load of songs out there.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Since the trolls take things literally word for word, yes because "I Need a Doctor" sold 2 million+ copies & that makes it Dre's most successful single financially.

HOWEVER

Before you pat yourselves on the back, just remember that if you're going to compare two songs, you also have to take into consideration all circumstances and not take the FOX News approach and only mention what's convenient. With that said, you've failed to acknowledge this:

You cannot buy any of Dr. Dre's Death Row material on iTunes. This includes "The Chronic", "Death Row's Greatest Hits", "The Chronicles", "15 Years on Death Row", and EVERY HIP-HOP COMPILATION THAT FEATURES THE SONG ON IT. This stems from the lawsuit with WideAwake from earlier this year.

http://www.billboard.com/news/dr-dre-wins-lawsuit-against-death-row-digital-1005144652.story#/news/dr-dre-wins-lawsuit-against-death-row-digital-1005144652.story

The most recent case he filed centered on his 1996 exit agreement with the label, which called for him to receive 18 percent royalties on his music created while at Death Row and gave him substantial authority over how the songs were used.

The agreement states that WIDEawake can only sell Dre's music in the format it appeared in before the deal. Another of Dre's attorneys, Stephen Rothschild, told Snyder during arguments in court on Monday that meant it could only appear in four formats: CD, cassette, vinyl and 8-Track.

You can go apples to apples with digital sales with "Still D.R.E." but because Dre's Death Row stuff can't be sold digitally (for the time being), it isn't a fair comparison. If you honestly think that just because "I Need a Doctor" sold more itunes songs it's a better track and will have a legacy that even approaches "Nuthin' But a G Thang", you're delusional.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »

You're the one ignoring my posts. I've told you repeatedly that the billboard tracks sales AND radio spins.

Fact: Still Dre only reached position 95 on the hot 100. INAD reached number 4. That means its HUGELY more successful compared to other songs. You keep talking about iTune sales, but do you see me quoting digital sales? No, the billboard position shows a song's success RELATIVE to other popular songs. Meaning Still Dre was in 93rd place behind 93 other songs. And INAD was in 4th behind 3 other songs. Only an idiot could still be denying what's right in front of you.

The people who disagree are still talking about the quality of the song and how it will never be a part of Dre's legacy. That's proof enough that your bias towards not liking the song is blinding you to fact. I guarantee you if you loved the song, you wouldn't be disagreeing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:06:25 PM by Spice 2 sees the bitch in you »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2011, 03:26:45 PM »
Also should point out that the Billboard is the industry standard, and that no one has come up with any better measurement.

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
Also should point out that the Billboard is the industry standard, and that no one has come up with any better measurement.

This is true. Guess to me i just see a hit as being something that was hot when it came out the gates and continues to stand the test of time. Theres been a lot of garbage that has hit high on the billboard charts and ends up being considered trash years down the line...lets not forget barbie girl and mambo no. 5 lol

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
Reality Check, you're just a fucking idiot, man lmao. Like seriously dumb.

I'll delete my account if you can post show anyone who posted here saying "I Need A Doctor is a better song than G Thang". You're putting words in our mouth to fight your argument because you're wrong. Nobody said anything relatively close to that. It sold more, that's all. It's a fact. Cannot be argued. End of discussion.