Poll

whatdoyasay?

punkass sellout
18 (40%)
money motivates, handle biz
27 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?  (Read 3715 times)

Sccit

Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
I mean let's keep it real, Snoop sold out when he signed a recording contract before he even made Doggystyle or the Chronic.  After that, he is property of his label and therefore it is them dictating to him what features he does, how his music sounds, what his lyrics say (ie ghostwriters) what his album artwork looks like etc.  I'm not dissing him for that, just stating the situation.

I mean honestly Snoops music (his albums at least) have largely been weak for about 10 years now. Like how yall are appalled by this feature is how I felt the first time I heard "Drop It Like It's Hot".  The song in and of itself was great for what it was, but seeing Snoop do some of the most played out trends at the time - ie Neptunes production (and again, don't get me wrong, Neptunes did some brilliant shit in their prime) and an over the top simplistic / minimalist approach to hip hop beats (like The Whistle Song by Ying Yang, some shit by David Banner and a bunch of other joints coming out of ATL at the time).  For somebody that was actually listening to hip hop when albums like the Chronic and Doggystyle came out, it was kinda lame because that shit was so played out. 

I def think Snoop has the ability to make great music, but his label pigeonholes him.  But since he's under contract, there's not shit he can do about it, and honestly that's the agreement he made when he got into the business.

The truth is that no matter what features he does or what music he makes in the future has no bearing on his classic work.  I'll prolly be bumping that shit randomly till I die lol.  He still seems like the cool dude he always was and seems like he's having fun, and puts on a good live show with his band and shit. 

So I say props to Snoop, play on playa.

Oh and here's Nas' 3rd verse from "Hero" which was his lead single from Untitled.  He's directly speaking on this:

This universal apartheid (meaning Universal studios)
I'm hog-tied, the corporate side
Blocking y'all from going to stores and buying it
First L.A. and Doug Morris was riding wit it
But Newsweek article startled big wigs
They said, Nas, why is he trying it?
My lawyers only see the Billboard charts as winning
Forgetting - Nas the only true rebel since the beginning
Still in musical prison, in jail for the flow
Try telling Bob Dylan, Bruce, or Billy Joel
They can't sing what's in their soul

So untitled it is
I never change nothin'
But people remember this
If Nas can't say it, think about these talented kids
With new ideas being told what they can and can't spit
I can't sit and watch it
So, sh! t, I'ma drop it
Like it or not
You ain't gotta cop it

I'm a hustler in the studio
Cups of Don Julio
No matter what the CD called
I'm unbeatable, y'all

this post is pretty on point...but in that sense, snoop sold out way b4 "drop it like it's hot", back when he signed with no limit and droppin dirty south tracks, which was the popular trend at the time.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Snoop has reached legend and iconic status.  He's done so much in the game and done so much for West Coast rap I don't think it's fair to diss him for branching out at this late stage in his career. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »
Snoop has reached legend and iconic status.  He's done so much in the game and done so much for West Coast rap I don't think it's fair to diss him for branching out at this late stage in his career. 

I think it has more to do with the fact that you're a groupie.

TerryMak

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »
Snoop sold out after Doggystyle. His Doggfather album was trash. He went from having fun to being a serious mob figure..That wasnt cool. I dislike fake mfs.

Sccit

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
^Doggfather was actually a great, underrated album...

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2011, 01:23:59 AM »
snoop is definitely a bandwagon hopper

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2011, 01:29:52 AM »
Respect the hustle! Snoop still making hits after all these years.

TerryMak

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
Respect the hustle! Snoop still making hits after all these years.

:-X  :-X  :puke:

Hittman2001

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
i dont see the issue with him making music with whoever he wants.  Its just music and at the end of the day he's getting paid for it.  That gangsta music he used to do is played out now.  Why make that kind of music that isnt appealing to masses?  It wouldnt surprise me if a majority of his fans from the early 90s have moved on with their lives and could care less about what he's doing now

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2011, 11:08:49 AM »
your dumbass compares kci & jojo to backstreet boys...how can i lose?

You brought up Backstreet Boys not me. Val Young = dance pop. Madonna = pop. You can't argue what's right in front of you.

Yes he can. He tried to argue "I Need A Doctor" isn't Dre's biggest hit, despite the fact it sold the most being in his face lol.

I think he just can't admit when he's lost

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »
snoop is definitely a bandwagon hopper

True but let's keep it 100 would he be as big today without doing that? I mean dude is so big that he barely doesn't need to release anything people will still love him for who he is and what he did for the game. The thing is this hip-hop game is so fucking fickle, shit changes so much that most (not all) rappers that rely on dope music and staying true to themselves end up not being succesful (in a sense) and making enough bread while a dude like Snoop who most would say fell off at least 10 years ago (minus Blue Carpet Treatment) is still here.

If he stayed like he was on Death Row people would complain that he didn't switch up and sounded repetitive and shit. No matter what you do hip-hop fans complain and since money is security compared to a career in the music game they rather go for that bread that'll help them pay college funds, houses, cars and live that rich live especially since many come from a poor enviroment and only 1-5 out of 50 even make it to that level.

Sccit

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
your dumbass compares kci & jojo to backstreet boys...how can i lose?

You brought up Backstreet Boys not me. Val Young = dance pop. Madonna = pop. You can't argue what's right in front of you.

Yes he can. He tried to argue "I Need A Doctor" isn't Dre's biggest hit, despite the fact it sold the most being in his face lol.

I think he just can't admit when he's lost

if u put your brain together with cham's, you'd still be lacking mental ability.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
I mean let's keep it real, Snoop sold out when he signed a recording contract before he even made Doggystyle or the Chronic.  After that, he is property of his label and therefore it is them dictating to him what features he does, how his music sounds, what his lyrics say (ie ghostwriters) what his album artwork looks like etc.  I'm not dissing him for that, just stating the situation.

I mean honestly Snoops music (his albums at least) have largely been weak for about 10 years now. Like how yall are appalled by this feature is how I felt the first time I heard "Drop It Like It's Hot".  The song in and of itself was great for what it was, but seeing Snoop do some of the most played out trends at the time - ie Neptunes production (and again, don't get me wrong, Neptunes did some brilliant shit in their prime) and an over the top simplistic / minimalist approach to hip hop beats (like The Whistle Song by Ying Yang, some shit by David Banner and a bunch of other joints coming out of ATL at the time).  For somebody that was actually listening to hip hop when albums like the Chronic and Doggystyle came out, it was kinda lame because that shit was so played out. 

I def think Snoop has the ability to make great music, but his label pigeonholes him.  But since he's under contract, there's not shit he can do about it, and honestly that's the agreement he made when he got into the business.

The truth is that no matter what features he does or what music he makes in the future has no bearing on his classic work.  I'll prolly be bumping that shit randomly till I die lol.  He still seems like the cool dude he always was and seems like he's having fun, and puts on a good live show with his band and shit. 

Oh and here's Nas' 3rd verse from "Hero" which was his lead single from Untitled.  He's directly speaking on this:

So untitled it is
I never change nothin'
But people remember this
I can't sit and watch it
So, sh! t, I'ma drop it
Like it or not
You ain't gotta cop it

Cups of Don Julio
I'm unbeatable, y'all

this post is pretty on point...but in that sense, snoop sold out way b4 "drop it like it's hot", back when he signed with no limit and droppin dirty south tracks, which was the popular trend at the time.

No Limit was the biggest label at the time, and they were making dope original music w/ their own in house production team Beats By The Pound.  BBTP weren't doing pop songs for britney spears and shit like that.  I was anticipating his no limit album a lot when it came out, and there were some dope records on his NL debut. 

Snoop signed to them in what, 98?  The south wasn't really blowing up like that at the time.  Cash Money hadn't even blown up yet.  The south really started to blow in the early-mid 2000's with that "ringtone rap", and Snoop was jumping on that fad w/ Drop It Like It's Hot.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »

So untitled it is
I never change nothin'
But people remember this
I can't sit and watch it
So, sh! t, I'ma drop it
Like it or not
You ain't gotta cop it

Cups of Don Julio
I'm unbeatable, y'all

No Limit was the biggest label at the time, and they were making dope original music w/ their own in house production team Beats By The Pound.  BBTP weren't doing pop songs for britney spears and shit like that.  I was anticipating his no limit album a lot when it came out, and there were some dope records on his NL debut. 

Snoop signed to them in what, 98?  The south wasn't really blowing up like that at the time.  Cash Money hadn't even blown up yet.  The south really started to blow in the early-mid 2000's with that "ringtone rap", and Snoop was jumping on that fad w/ Drop It Like It's Hot.

Even though the South wasn't running shit they def had a few acts out there and being that Snoop joined NL and even tried to fit their m.o. when he joined people saw it as a bandwagon move. But i will say this Snoop did have 2 of his best albums (No Limit Top Dogg and Last Meal) on the label too and that was when he got back to being himself because the audience demanded it. People ain't demanding gangsta music now and Snoop can basically do anything he wants and he already got millions on top of millions so he doesn't care anymore.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2011, 06:23:57 PM »
Pac's career lasted 5 years. In that time he worked with pop stars, made love songs, cross-dressed and took pics of himself naked in a bathtub. You're in denial if you don't think he could have worked with Katy Perry. He was already working with Madonna, who Katy Perry models her music after.