Poll

whatdoyasay?

punkass sellout
18 (40%)
money motivates, handle biz
27 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?  (Read 3787 times)

Sccit

Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
I mean let's keep it real, Snoop sold out when he signed a recording contract before he even made Doggystyle or the Chronic.  After that, he is property of his label and therefore it is them dictating to him what features he does, how his music sounds, what his lyrics say (ie ghostwriters) what his album artwork looks like etc.  I'm not dissing him for that, just stating the situation.

I mean honestly Snoops music (his albums at least) have largely been weak for about 10 years now. Like how yall are appalled by this feature is how I felt the first time I heard "Drop It Like It's Hot".  The song in and of itself was great for what it was, but seeing Snoop do some of the most played out trends at the time - ie Neptunes production (and again, don't get me wrong, Neptunes did some brilliant shit in their prime) and an over the top simplistic / minimalist approach to hip hop beats (like The Whistle Song by Ying Yang, some shit by David Banner and a bunch of other joints coming out of ATL at the time).  For somebody that was actually listening to hip hop when albums like the Chronic and Doggystyle came out, it was kinda lame because that shit was so played out. 

I def think Snoop has the ability to make great music, but his label pigeonholes him.  But since he's under contract, there's not shit he can do about it, and honestly that's the agreement he made when he got into the business.

The truth is that no matter what features he does or what music he makes in the future has no bearing on his classic work.  I'll prolly be bumping that shit randomly till I die lol.  He still seems like the cool dude he always was and seems like he's having fun, and puts on a good live show with his band and shit. 

So I say props to Snoop, play on playa.

Oh and here's Nas' 3rd verse from "Hero" which was his lead single from Untitled.  He's directly speaking on this:

This universal apartheid (meaning Universal studios)
I'm hog-tied, the corporate side
Blocking y'all from going to stores and buying it
First L.A. and Doug Morris was riding wit it
But Newsweek article startled big wigs
They said, Nas, why is he trying it?
My lawyers only see the Billboard charts as winning
Forgetting - Nas the only true rebel since the beginning
Still in musical prison, in jail for the flow
Try telling Bob Dylan, Bruce, or Billy Joel
They can't sing what's in their soul

So untitled it is
I never change nothin'
But people remember this
If Nas can't say it, think about these talented kids
With new ideas being told what they can and can't spit
I can't sit and watch it
So, sh! t, I'ma drop it
Like it or not
You ain't gotta cop it

I'm a hustler in the studio
Cups of Don Julio
No matter what the CD called
I'm unbeatable, y'all

this post is pretty on point...but in that sense, snoop sold out way b4 "drop it like it's hot", back when he signed with no limit and droppin dirty south tracks, which was the popular trend at the time.

No Limit was the biggest label at the time, and they were making dope original music w/ their own in house production team Beats By The Pound.  BBTP weren't doing pop songs for britney spears and shit like that.  I was anticipating his no limit album a lot when it came out, and there were some dope records on his NL debut. 

Snoop signed to them in what, 98?  The south wasn't really blowing up like that at the time.  Cash Money hadn't even blown up yet.  The south really started to blow in the early-mid 2000's with that "ringtone rap", and Snoop was jumping on that fad w/ Drop It Like It's Hot.

LOL, what are u talkin about...No Limit was the hottest label at the time Snoop signed, and Snoop hopped on their steez. "Da Game" was a pretty whack album, with the exception of a few cuts. If you wanna say he sold out with Neptunes, you might as well say he sold out with Master P & Beats by the Pound.

Quadruple OG

Re: Snoop Making Gay Songs with Boy Bands & Shit...Respect the Hustle or Sellout?
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
your dumbass compares kci & jojo to backstreet boys...how can i lose?

You brought up Backstreet Boys not me. Val Young = dance pop. Madonna = pop. You can't argue what's right in front of you.

He tried to argue "I Need A Doctor" isn't Dre's biggest hit.

I'm at a loss for words if you really believe "I Need A Doctor" is Dre's biggest hit.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
As far as the actual thread topic goes, I don't see a problem with Snoop recording those tracks. If someone's willing to shell out the money (anyone know by the way what Snoop charges for a verse), I don't blame Snoop for taking the money and giving them a verse.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »

You brought up Backstreet Boys not me. Val Young = dance pop. Madonna = pop. You can't argue what's right in front of you.

I'm at a loss for words if you really believe "I Need A Doctor" is Dre's biggest hit.

I'm at a loss for words if you cannot read statistics that show it had the highest sales (or second highest).

Hits only go as far as how much they sell. That's the intention of them.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »

I'm at a loss for words if you cannot read statistics that show it had the highest sales (or second highest).

Hits only go as far as how much they sell. That's the intention of them.

Like someone once told me, you get into a pissing match with a skunk, no one wins. Have your day buddy and keep

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »
How is that trolling? Who argues statistics? A moron. That's who.

Sccit

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2011, 08:11:09 PM »
ur too stupid to think past a statistic, even when it's explained to u...he thinks ur trolling cuz u cant possibly be this dumb in real life.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »
^See, that's why nobody can take you seriously. You believe you can think beyond what is a fact. But that's how you like to argue. You like to argue opinion, which can be debated into infinity. Therefore, you cannot be proven that your wrong despite sounding & coming off as a complete moron. So I mean, do what works for you, but I see through you.

2+2=4. There is no deeper meaning. It's just an undeniable truth.

You need to lay off the drugs.

Sccit

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »
^i would explain why you're wrong, but ur 2 stupid 2 get it..

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »
^Yeah, I'm an idiot. That's why I'm in college & you, judging by your non-employment, likely dropped out of high school.

midwestryder

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
nobody said shit when quik was making music with toni tony tone...a band full of boys... :P

dre was in boy band...dre made songs for a boy band..blackstreet...

snoop not a sell out....when this rap shit is done... he got other stuff he can do...u cant rap 4ever...

snoop is nall thu out the galaxy...he cant with this rap shit nomore which is oversaturated...he can eat off that boy band music..

y stay on the same street..when there's freeways and highways that go elsewhere.

pac kept boy band leaders in music once he got to death row...aaron hall( guy) kci n jojo ( jodeci)...devante( jodeci).

u can hang snoop but dont didnt even think about the noose for pac..

those are urban r&b bands...if ur comparing blackstreet to backstreet boys is pretty fuckin dumb, and u know it.

when it comes to pac...its about the genre...

backstreet and blackstreet the same kinda corny ass band...same shit different color..

fuck no, they are not same. only ignorant closeminded person would say that . blackstreet in R&B & backstreet boys is pop boy band . there is very big difference . this fact is not opinion. so don't even try arguing back like a dumbass.

midwestryder

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »

look at the artists snoop has worked with...look at the video i posted. that is nothing comparable to anything pac has ever done. to argue otherwise is dumb, but i expect it from u.

Pac's career lasted 5 years. In that time he worked with pop stars, made love songs, cross-dressed and took pics of himself naked in a bathtub. You're in denial if you don't think he could have worked with Katy Perry. He was already working with Madonna, who Katy Perry models her music after.
ketty perry may model her music after madonna but it sounds like nothing like what madonna would do at alll. madonna & katy perry are two different things all together.

midwestryder

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
nobody said shit when quik was making music with toni tony tone...a band full of boys... :P

dre was in boy band...dre made songs for a boy band..blackstreet...

snoop not a sell out....when this rap shit is done... he got other stuff he can do...u cant rap 4ever...

snoop is nall thu out the galaxy...he cant with this rap shit nomore which is oversaturated...he can eat off that boy band music..

y stay on the same street..when there's freeways and highways that go elsewhere.

pac kept boy band leaders in music once he got to death row...aaron hall( guy) kci n jojo ( jodeci)...devante( jodeci).

u can hang snoop but dont didnt even think about the noose for pac..

toni tony tone is not a boy band . toni tony tone is R&B group . i never seen any boy band play instruments like toni tony tone. .blackstreet in R&B & backstreet boys is pop boy band . there is very big difference . this fact is not opinion. so don't even try arguing back like a dumbass. aaron hall is R&B singer. R&B is part hip hop but you are too ignorant & closeminded to know that.  kci n jojo ( jodeci) are R&B group & never ever sold out . boyz II men is R&b group & never sold out like you stupid ignorant closeminded ass thinks .  everything i just said is unarguable fact not ignorant closeminded opinion like yours.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2011, 11:20:37 PM »
how the hell they not a boy band..

not a group full of women...

and they play instruments...

cant make it a double standard because white groups r considered boy bands..n blacks r groups..

all of em boys...they in a group they a band...same sappy ass shit nysnc backstreet boys sing black counterparts do the same..

only different whites accept both..and dont give a shit what others think...from what i notice...

aaron hall came from a boy band... guy... teddy riley and his brother

he went solo like the rest of the boy bands did like the justins... nick carter..etc...

like them

dave hollister, aaron hall, etc left..kuz the other members were dead weight..

r&b is not apart of hip hop...dj quik made sexy leroy n the chocolate luvlites..to make fun of r&b...the motex shit on balance n options...was dissing smokey robinson marvin gaye nem...80s n 90s..r&b didnt want shit to do with rap....

hell don cornelius didnt even want the shit on soul train....til this day he will tell u he never got it and hated...

only difference....is the skin color..

unarguable fact...lol.. get the fuck outta here.. these niggas boyz 2 men, public announcement(rkelly first group) h-town, jodeci, boyz II men, guy, toni tony tone...all have something every white boy band has had since for ever..

1 main singer.. and the rest back up..and the main singer...always goes solo..and u never heard shit else from the back up singers..

dino died...h-town died

kci n jojo left-jodeci died

raphael saadiq left- ttt died

aaron hall - left..teddy riley stuck to being a producer

gerald levert went solo n then died- levert dont even exist

r.kelly left- where is public announcment

dave hollister left-..teddy riley went back to producing...

all the solo acts in these r&b groups r no different from the timbelakes, marky marks, nick carters, nck lacheys, ashley parker

all who left their groups...and u never heard anything else with the left overs...

boyz II men, kci n jojo all sold out...listen to cooleyhighharmony and the 1st 3 jodeci albums..and tell me them niggas aint get white washed...

they got rid of the grit they once had...i am a fan of those niggas and they entire style changed...no devante no michael bivens...

they boy bands breh....  how come the white boys get the label boy bands..but the niggas dont...when they do the exact same shit.. follow the exact same pattern..then eventually follow the same cliche break up routine.. when the ones go solo...n fall off ...all of sudden its a reunion...

i can argue this shit all day long...

r&b just now crossin over to hip hop...alot of them niggas didnt fuck with rap...unless it was the street singers.. but the babyface, johnny gill, gerald levert....etc...

been around and know more about this music shit than few niggas on this board and I know the history of this shit...

listen to the last song on quiks way 2 fonky....he shitted on the r n b industry ....get ya mind correct breh...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:23:21 PM by 3rd Coast »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2011, 01:19:26 AM »

It's his second biggest based on sales and radio spins....what more do you want?