Author Topic: DJ Quik fucked his own career up with that TRASH beat on the Black Album  (Read 1815 times)

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
Re: DJ Quik fucked his own career up with that TRASH beat on the Black Album
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
BEAT IS SICC AS FUCK !!!!!

heres a Remix with TUPAC on the track a remix from 2005-06

http://hulkshare.com/ucof31hju4q2
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »

That's three gold and one platinum album as a solo artist, so 2.5 million... not really underground numbers.
Well, most people on this board have no idea what "underground" actually is so you'll have to excuse that. They seem to think anyone that's not on the A-list and followed around by paparazzi is "underground". Daz isn't underground. MC Eiht isn't underground. Yukmouth isn't underground. Quik definitely ain't underground.

They are now. But they weren't at one point.

No doubt

I don't think so - I know they're not like constantly on the radio now, but still, no one goes:
"hey, did you hear that guy that's big on the underground right now, that Daz guy?"

"Oh, you mean the dude who sold like several million of Dogg Food, was all over Chronic and Doggystyle that sold like 10 million combined,
and did a bunch of production on a 9 million selling 2Pac double-album? You mean that underground guy?"

i think they were talking about the past.

Word, but you can't undo what he did already.

It's like if Mick Jagger from the Rolling Stones brings out a solo album and it flops, he's all of a sudden an
underground rock guy now? No, he's the dude that was the lead singer of the Stones.

Same with Daz, if someone says, "hey, did you hear about that underground rapper, Daz,"
that wouldn't sound right, because he's already known for being part of the Dogg Pound,
being on 2-3 really big albums, and for producing on one of the biggest selling hip-hop albums.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »

That's three gold and one platinum album as a solo artist, so 2.5 million... not really underground numbers.
Well, most people on this board have no idea what "underground" actually is so you'll have to excuse that. They seem to think anyone that's not on the A-list and followed around by paparazzi is "underground". Daz isn't underground. MC Eiht isn't underground. Yukmouth isn't underground. Quik definitely ain't underground.

No doubt

I don't think so - I know they're not like constantly on the radio now, but still, no one goes:
"hey, did you hear that guy that's big on the underground right now, that Daz guy?"

"Oh, you mean the dude who sold like several million of Dogg Food, was all over Chronic and Doggystyle that sold like 10 million combined,
and did a bunch of production on a 9 million selling 2Pac double-album? You mean that underground guy?"

It's like if Mick Jagger from the Rolling Stones brings out a solo album and it flops, he's all of a sudden an
underground rock guy now? No, he's the dude that was the lead singer of the Stones.

Same with Daz, if someone says, "hey, did you hear about that underground rapper, Daz,"
that wouldn't sound right, because he's already known for being part of the Dogg Pound,
being on 2-3 really big albums, and for producing on one of the biggest selling hip-hop albums.

Mick Jagger is a household name. Daz is not. There's a difference between an artist who's album flops and an artist who people don't even has an album out. Beyond the people on this forum, no one even knows Daz is still in the rap game. I'd say that's pretty fucking underground.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »
If I said the name Daz Dillinger to anyone who even has a passing interest in hip-hop, even here in the UK, chances are they'd have at least heard of the name. He is not and has never been underground, neither has DJ Quik, and neither has their sound.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
There is a difference between being an independent artist and being Underground 2 different things

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »
There is a difference between being an independent artist and being Underground 2 different things

This is 100% the point that the original poster who stated he was underground doesn't get. Underground is almost more of a sound and aesthetic than it is a reality of their financial success.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »

This is 100% the point that the original poster who stated he was underground doesn't get. Underground is almost more of a sound and aesthetic than it is a reality of their financial success.

so u mean to say that "Underground" is a music-genre?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:45:06 PM by Michael Madsen »

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »

so u mean "Underground" is a music-genre?

No, because that's not what I said, read it back, sir.

But in a way it can be used to describe a sound as much as it can to describe a relative unknown. For example, Wu-Tang Clan are known the world over, their name alone is bigger than most mainstream artists with huge success, but their sound, by definition is what most would consider 'underground'. Underground music can sell too you know, its not dictated only by record sales. There is no black and white here.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 02:58:11 PM »
i c what ur sayin,
but that analgoy doestn work on most ppl (at least not to me)
Wu-Tang n Mobb Deep, moved mainstream-digits,,, n their sound isnt "radio-friendly" whatsoever..

"undergound" is caerer-level n finacial status

Daz mightve produced the biggest hits in 2pacs career,, dude is still an independent/lowbudget bum
Cold 187um is a bum too (n he invented "g-funk", n gave breakbeats to Dr Dre)
kurupt is a bum
shade Shiest is a bum
dj quik is a bum (i dont even think his last album was reviewed in either Source or XXL)
mc eiht is a bum
85percent of the westcoast-scene are independet lowbudget/eatin-breakfast-every-mornin-at-"subway"- bums..
(u can still be a legend, and a bum at the same time tho).

thats just me, take it or leave it..  :-*
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:12:56 PM by Michael Madsen »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »

so u mean "Underground" is a music-genre?

No, because that's not what I said, read it back, sir.

But in a way it can be used to describe a sound as much as it can to describe a relative unknown. For example, Wu-Tang Clan are known the world over, their name alone is bigger than most mainstream artists with huge success, but their sound, by definition is what most would consider 'underground'. Underground music can sell too you know, its not dictated only by record sales. There is no black and white here.

Underground is not a sound or a music genre. It's the opposite of mainstream.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
Examples:

Daz Dillinger : Independant artist, does stuff on his own , release his own music, makes most of the profits

Snoop Dogg : Major Artist , with a major label as backup, doesnt have full control of the marketing, promo and even creative control

Kendrick Lamar (not sure if he is signed or not) : Underground artist, that do not have a record deal but has a current fan base that follows his stuff, with a certain buzz

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
if doing tracks with Dr. Dre, Raphael Saadiq & Tony Toni Tone and the lead singer of Guy makes you underground then what the fuck is mainstream?!!

aaron hall? what did quik produce for him?

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 04:29:57 AM »

No doubt

Mick Jagger is a household name. Daz is not. There's a difference between an artist who's album flops and an artist who people don't even has an album out. Beyond the people on this forum, no one even knows Daz is still in the rap game. I'd say that's pretty fucking underground.

If someone didn't know who he was, then you'd just say, well he's in the Dogg Pound, i.e. the guys who tour with Snoop Dogg and are on his records... and immediately he would become not underground again.

As other people said, underground is a bunch of stuff when deciding if someone is actually underground,
it's the style of music partially as well... you can be making mainstream sounding music and not selling anything.

And today, seeing as no one sells much apart from Eminem, Lil Wayne and BEP, then everyone is underground if you
were to just count record sales.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »

No doubt

If someone didn't know who he was, then you'd just say, well he's in the Dogg Pound, i.e. the guys who tour with Snoop Dogg and are on his records... and immediately he would become not underground again.

As other people said, underground is a bunch of stuff when deciding if someone is actually underground,
it's the style of music partially as well... you can be making mainstream sounding music and not selling anything.

And today, seeing as no one sells much apart from Eminem, Lil Wayne and BEP, then everyone is underground if you
were to just count record sales.

I repeat, underground is not a style of music. If I came out today with a song that sounds like Rick Ross it would not make me a mainstream rapper.

Also sales don't mean anything. Regardless of sales, if an artist is getting mainstream exposure, they are mainstream not underground. Daz is underground because he has zero exposure in the mainstream. Period. His past accomplishments aren't a factor. Immortal Technique gets 100 times the exposure that Daz does.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
Examples:

Daz Dillinger : Independant artist, does stuff on his own , release his own music, makes most of the profits

Snoop Dogg : Major Artist , with a major label as backup, doesnt have full control of the marketing, promo and even creative control

Kendrick Lamar (not sure if he is signed or not) : Underground artist, that do not have a record deal but has a current fan base that follows his stuff, with a certain buzz