Author Topic: DJ Quik fucked his own career up with that TRASH beat on the Black Album  (Read 1814 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: DJ Quik fucked his own career up with that TRASH beat on the Black Album
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »
That's one of those beats where I think the mixing and the elements are all really dope and detailed,
but I don't like the overall effect... it's not like a wack beat though.

Also, from the RIAA website -

DJ QUIK   RHYTHM-AL-ISM   NOVEMBER 24, 1998   JULY 27, 1999   PROFILE   GOLD   ALBUM   SOLO
DJ QUIK   QUIK IS THE NAME   JANUARY 15, 1991   JULY 26, 1995   PROFILE   PLATINUM   ALBUM   SOLO
DJ QUIK   SAFE & SOUND   FEBRUARY 21, 1995   JULY 11, 1995   PROFILE   GOLD   ALBUM   SOLO
DJ QUIK   WAY 2 FONKY   JULY 20, 1992   OCTOBER 09, 1992   PROFILE   GOLD   ALBUM   SOLO

That's three gold and one platinum album as a solo artist, so 2.5 million... not really underground numbers.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
That's three gold and one platinum album as a solo artist, so 2.5 million... not really underground numbers.
Well, most people on this board have no idea what "underground" actually is so you'll have to excuse that. They seem to think anyone that's not on the A-list and followed around by paparazzi is "underground". Daz isn't underground. MC Eiht isn't underground. Yukmouth isn't underground. Quik definitely ain't underground.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »

alright, mr KRS-One

define "underground"..

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
Well, most people on this board have no idea what "underground" actually is so you'll have to excuse that. They seem to think anyone that's not on the A-list and followed around by paparazzi is "underground". Daz isn't underground. MC Eiht isn't underground. Yukmouth isn't underground. Quik definitely ain't underground.

They are now. But they weren't at one point.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »

No doubt

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:47 PM »
quik may be under-appreciated and lowkey these days but by no means is he underground.

at least he managed to get a "guest-appearance"-aproval by Bun B for his last album  :)

had to pay a price only unknown rappers should pay...quik said he got taxed heavily for the bun feat by bun...said it was business...but damn...

Damn, quik got disrespected like that by bun?  Why the fuck would he even want him on the album anyway? Shit was mad out of place when all the other features were west coast
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Elkoizm

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
That's one of those beats where I think the mixing and the elements are all really dope and detailed,

DJ QUIK   RHYTHM-AL-ISM   NOVEMBER 24, 1998   JULY 27, 1999   PROFILE   GOLD   ALBUM   SOLO
DJ QUIK   QUIK IS THE NAME   JANUARY 15, 1991   JULY 26, 1995   PROFILE   PLATINUM   ALBUM   SOLO
DJ QUIK   SAFE & SOUND   FEBRUARY 21, 1995   JULY 11, 1995   PROFILE   GOLD   ALBUM   SOLO
DJ QUIK   WAY 2 FONKY   JULY 20, 1992   OCTOBER 09, 1992   PROFILE   GOLD   ALBUM   SOLO

But are you not aware with the bullshit deals he had received from those labels? There's a reason he changed record labels three times and has now gone independent.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »

But are you not aware with the bullshit deals he had received from those labels? There's a reason he changed record labels three times and has now gone independent.

Your point being?

Elkoizm

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
I honestly forgot, carry on.

So Much Style

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »
the beat is good and you cant expect jayz to rap over a typical quik beat!
So much style back at it again

Tutlock

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 02:16:10 AM »
the beat is good and you cant expect jayz to rap over a typical quik beat!

yea i agree. i donīt listen to jay-z really so i listened to the song now and the beat is dope. of course typical westcoast fans arenīt feeling it because itīs not a basic kick-clap-kick-clap - beat

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:05 AM »
if doing tracks with Dr. Dre, Raphael Saadiq & Tony Toni Tone and the lead singer of Guy makes you underground then what the fuck is mainstream?!!

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 04:31:14 AM »

No doubt

I don't think so - I know they're not like constantly on the radio now, but still, no one goes:
"hey, did you hear that guy that's big on the underground right now, that Daz guy?"

"Oh, you mean the dude who sold like several million of Dogg Food, was all over Chronic and Doggystyle that sold like 10 million combined,
and did a bunch of production on a 9 million selling 2Pac double-album? You mean that underground guy?"

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »

No doubt

I don't think so - I know they're not like constantly on the radio now, but still, no one goes:
"hey, did you hear that guy that's big on the underground right now, that Daz guy?"

"Oh, you mean the dude who sold like several million of Dogg Food, was all over Chronic and Doggystyle that sold like 10 million combined,
and did a bunch of production on a 9 million selling 2Pac double-album? You mean that underground guy?"

i think they were talking about the past.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »
Dj Quik , was known in the 90's for doing nice R&B remixes,  dont know he didnt stick to that.