Author Topic: Gimme Yalls Thoughts & Opinions on this!  (Read 102 times)

Trauma-san

Gimme Yalls Thoughts & Opinions on this!
« on: January 21, 2003, 09:34:16 PM »
Tell me what you guys think of this situation :)

Alright, I previously had a sales job, that kind of teetered out around the first of november last year, so I've been looking for a job about two and a half months.  I have a psychology degree, but I don't really want to get into psychology, I just got it because it was a subject I was interested in, and to use as kind of a basic degree (if you have ANY degree you can get a job easier than without, even if it's not in the field of the job/ it shows you're a hard worker, and intelligent).  Anyways, so I have a psychology degree, but don't really want to use it.

I liked Sales, because I wasn't behind a desk all day, but I despise forcing things on people that they don't want.  I felt like I was trying to trick people into buying things, and like I was trying to get people to buy something they couldn't afford.  So, consequently, many times I wouldn't force people to buy things, etc... before the sales job, I didn't have a job for like 3 months before that... I just got my taxes done, and I ended up making a whopping 10 grand or so ALL last year, LOL.  I had 5 months of vacation though, so I guess it ain't all bad.

Anyways, I have this job opportunity.  It's working as a service tech for an arcade vending company, the job consists of driving around servicing broken machines, and running a route, basically, within an hour radius of my house (which is fine with me).  I'd be collecting the money out of the machines, etc. and pretty much working on my own, setting my own hours, etc. (which I love!).  

I can fix arcade games (I own a couple), so I'm pretty excited about it.  Now, dude tells me the following, here's the part that gets tricky, LOL.  O.K.  I get a company truck, and a company cell phone, but it's unclear if the Gas is paid by the company (there will be a lot of driving, so gas could be as much as 100 bucks a week).  Also, the job pays "350 a week" according to him.  Now, if that's 350 AFTER taxes, then i'm making good money.  If that's 350 before taxes, i'm not making very good money.  That's only like 18 grand a year.  I would probably end up working about 35 or so hours a week, so it's not like i'm gonna be workin' my butt off, but still...

Alright, also, after 3 months, you get commission, 1.5% of all the collections of your route; which would be another 250 dollars (minimum) per month... which would bump it up to about 410 a week.  Also, in 6 months, I get a job evaluation, which could lead to another raise.  They didn't mention anything about benefits.  

Today, they asked me to go get a drug test (which I did) but didn't even mention paying for it! LOL, the thing cost me like 67 bucks!

So, anyways, what do yall think about this job opportunity, or do you have any comments on it?  I'm just curious what other people would think if presented with this, or what other people would think about my decision to try the job out.  Peace~!

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Gimme Yalls Thoughts & Opinions on this!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 09:52:18 PM »
Man this shit is tricky... if u really need a job, try this one but keep searchin, then, if u find a better one, quit this job and go for the $$$

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 09:57:11 PM »
Yeah, that's basically what I'm planning.  I'm also hoping I'll show up, they'll pay gas, reimburse me for the drug test, it'll be 350 TAKE HOME, they'll show me their medical plans, and then i'll be a very happy man.  LOL  If it turns out to be like that, I'll probably get married in a few months, hahaha.  

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 09:59:30 PM »
Yeah, that's basically what I'm planning.  I'm also hoping I'll show up, they'll pay gas, reimburse me for the drug test, it'll be 350 TAKE HOME, they'll show me their medical plans, and then i'll be a very happy man.  LOL  If it turns out to be like that, I'll probably get married in a few months, hahaha.  

Lol goodluck

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 10:11:30 PM »
If you like sales, i think you should go into industrail sales.  It's not like goin door to door, because not everyone needs what you'll be selling.  You could sell industrail supplies, or industrail products or services.  Just don't settle for a job.  Go out and get what you want.  Make it happen.

Or You could become a realtor and sell houses or even commercail buildings.  There's some good money in that.  The only thing is that realty is like a 24-7 job.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 10:12:45 PM by Suga Foot »

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 10:18:27 PM »
I really didn't like many of the aspects of Sales, so I think I wanna stay away from that.  In general, there's a 'fake' atmosphere around whenever you're dealing with sales, people mis-represent products, etc.  So I don't know if I'd be comfortable with ANY kind of outside sales.  

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 12:10:42 AM »
you know a lot about cars dude, i'd say pursue something with that, here in california anything automotive makes bucks

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09