Author Topic: Hip hop tracks with a pirate vibe?  (Read 460 times)

2euce 7even

Re: Hip hop tracks with a pirate vibe?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
Original Thread.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
I don't know man. I don't know how any of these artists feel, but the music is just wiggers + pirates. Just based on the music, The Lonely Island seems way more offensive to rappers.

no dude, people collab with lonely island and they do faithful funny parodies because they actually listen to rap and understand the cliches

these pirate dudes arent wiggers, thats the point. they arent obsessed with hip hop culture, they dont respect it, they dont want to be rappers. they think its dumb and they are making fun of it.
I agree that they are not funny but it's still not racist.

its not blatant racism, i think the term is subtle or underlying racism. lets condense the thought a lil bit. its basically white dudes laughing at black culture and re imagining rappers as pirates (people who dont listen to rap AT ALL, people who are so removed from that culture its not even funny). there are definitely racist undertones to that. if you cant see that then i dunno maybe youre white or you just dont understand the social implications of aping other cultures that you have no link to.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
I don't know man. I don't know how any of these artists feel, but the music is just wiggers + pirates. Just based on the music, The Lonely Island seems way more offensive to rappers.

no dude, people collab with lonely island and they do faithful funny parodies because they actually listen to rap and understand the cliches

these pirate dudes arent wiggers, thats the point. they arent obsessed with hip hop culture, they dont respect it, they dont want to be rappers. they think its dumb and they are making fun of it.

its not blatant racism, i think the term is subtle or underlying racism. lets condense the thought a lil bit. its basically white dudes laughing at black culture and re imagining rappers as pirates (people who dont listen to rap AT ALL, people who are so removed from that culture its not even funny). there are definitely racist undertones to that. if you cant see that then i dunno maybe youre white or you just dont understand the social implications of aping other cultures that you have no link to.

Sounds to me like youre confusing "offensiveness" with "racism".

If the guys in the video were black, would it still be racist?  You probably wouldnt say so, right?  So how does it change if the guys are white?  White guys cant laugh at something stereotypically black simply because its black?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:49:51 PM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »

If the guys in the video were black, would it still be racist?  You probably wouldnt say so, right?  So how does it change if the guys are white?  White guys cant laugh at something stereotypically black simply because its black?

you REALLY dont see the sociial/cultural implications of that??? i am clearly talking to a bunch of entitled fucking white boys lol. ok ok i will take on your point, there is a huge difference between laughing at something and actively making fun of/undermining something. i at least though rap listeners (even white boys) would understand this. so tell me, why is it "offensive" then? something has to be offensive for a reason. so whats the reason? could it possibly be the underlying racism involved in making fun of a culture that you dont like or understand??? if not then please explain WHY it is offensive

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
your reading far to much into things. its just a stupid parody rap, thats all.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »

you REALLY dont see the sociial/cultural implications of that??? i am clearly talking to a bunch of entitled fucking white boys lol. ok ok i will take on your point, there is a huge difference between laughing at something and actively making fun of/undermining something. i at least though rap listeners (even white boys) would understand this. so tell me, why is it "offensive" then? something has to be offensive for a reason. so whats the reason? could it possibly be the underlying racism involved in making fun of a culture that you dont like or understand??? if not then please explain WHY it is offensive
So because its a social/cultural parody its racist?  Of course theyre making fun of rap/rappers which started as strictly a black thing, so what.  So to you no race should make fun of another race's stereotypes because its all just racism?

Come on now I know you can see all (or at least some) of the ridiculousness associated with some rappers and some rap music.  Im white and I can laugh at stereotypes associated with white people  (like the one about us all being "entitled").

What this boils down to is you dont like "white boys" making fun of something thats culturally black and Im assuming youre black.  That doesnt make it racist.  I dont think the shits funny either, Im just posting cause I think, god damn, is this really where we are as a society where racism appears outta thin air whenever someone wants it to?

kuruptlon

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »

Listen man you might know these guys personally or know something we don't know about their intentions but just from listening to those 3 songs that were posted I saw nothing racist about what they are doing at all. And to the Lonely Island point if these guys had some colllabo with Akon would that make what they're doing not racist?

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:47 AM »
i give up.... i already made my point if u go back and reread my posts it actually answers ur dumb questions

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
i give up.... i already made my point if u go back and reread my posts it actually answers ur dumb questions

I think i asked and stated some thought provoking stuff which was never really answered but oh well

people are gonna just believe what they believe i guess

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »

I thought Russell countered your points fairly well.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »
ive already addressed it, dude is trying to twist my point to say that no-one from another race can make fun of another without it being racist, thats clearly not what im trying to say, we all know that, its cool. everyone reserves the right to make fun of other cultures and unless they actually say the word nigger no-one will recognise the racist undertones. i realise that now, my bad. i totally see were u are coming from

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 01:04:53 AM »
I think it's safe to say Screwface = Radiotube = racist.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »
ive already addressed it, dude is trying to twist my point to say that no-one from another race can make fun of another without it being racist, thats clearly not what im trying to say, we all know that, its cool. everyone reserves the right to make fun of other cultures and unless they actually say the word nigger no-one will recognise the racist undertones. i realise that now, my bad. i totally see were u are coming from

Where are these racist undertones? You can't label something racist without pointing out why. Parodying stupid shit is not racism. Especially since the gangsta rapper cliche does not represent black culture, nor will it ever. I still don't see how taking what is already a stupid cliche and appropriating it for pirate themed music has anything to do with racism.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »

Nah I wasnt saying that you have to be so explicit and obvious like saying nigger for something to be racist.  Thats some twisting my point type of argument right there. 

I was trying to convey that your main argument seems to be that because these dudes are white and not hip hop loving and hip hop cultured black folks that it makes what theyre doing covertly racist, which is ridiculous and has no base in reality.  If you wanna take it that way, fine, I just think youre way off and pulling the race card like this is an OJ Simpson trial aint gonna help anybody or any race of people.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
lmao at the thread title