Author Topic: Nominate your producer and rapper of the year  (Read 740 times)

MistaNova

Re: Nominate your producer and rapper of the year
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »
Did you listen to the Reks or Elzhi album?

Nope, didn't know either had new albums. But Grey Hairs and eLmatic were was dope so I think I'll give them a shot...

Edit: By Elzhi album did you mean eLmatic?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:10:48 AM by Iveus »

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 04:20:28 AM »
rapper probably Kendrick Lamar and No I.D. will be the producer after Common's album

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

west koasting

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
Clint dogg no doubt
Bullets aint got no names

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »

Nope, didn't know either had new albums. But Grey Hairs and eLmatic were was dope so I think I'll give them a shot...

Yeah. I don't know how you could think Elmatic isn't dope. It's the best remake of illmatic I've ever heard.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »

Yeah. I don't know how you could think Elmatic isn't dope. It's the best remake of illmatic I've ever heard.

"It's the best remake of illmatic I've ever heard."

This isn't really saying much considering only a few people have done it. I personally thought it was dope but I will NEVER listen to ElMatic on a regular basis because I own Illmatic. I don't even udnerstand why anyone would even waste their time and energy by copying an album already in existence. Elzhi is dope though.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
elzhi is dope and a real chill cat...i met him in 04 and he was telling me how overwhelming the game is and how ppl were trying to put him against dilla when dilla hand selected this guy to be in slum.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »
elzhi is dope and a real chill cat...i met him in 04 and he was telling me how overwhelming the game is and how ppl were trying to put him against dilla when dilla hand selected this guy to be in slum.

Apparently a lot of shit went down between him and RJ Rice which led to basically NOBODY being happy about the group going into their last LP.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »

This isn't really saying much considering only a few people have done it. I personally thought it was dope but I will NEVER listen to ElMatic on a regular basis because I own Illmatic. I don't even udnerstand why anyone would even waste their time and energy by copying an album already in existence. Elzhi is dope though.

But the two albums aren't the same. It's not like you would be listening to one instead of the other. If you want to hear early Nas you would listen to illmatic. If you want to hear Elzhi you would listen to Elmatic. The two albums don't even give off the same vibes. One is early 90s east coast production, and one is modern production using some of the same samples as the OG.

To answer your last statement,surely you realize hundreds of artists (rappers included) do covers? A lot of them have become classics. This album is doing that for 8 tracks.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
I nominate LAMB for both.

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Kane Beatz reached to 'Super Producer' status in 2011 8)

K-MACC

• Muthafuckin' Don!

MistaNova

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »

I didn't say I thought it wasn't dope. It's just that when I originally wrote that post I was thinking you were suggesting me another Elzhi project but when I took a second to think about it Elzhi only released Elmatic this year and that's something I did check out so I crossed it off. Still gets spins from me occasionally, It Ain't Hard To Tell is sick.
Also I checked out R.E.K.S. but at first listen I was like "Meh." I'll give it a few more spins though and hope it grows on me...

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
For me Reks was an album that got better with every spin. Fav songs: Like A Star, This is Me, Mascara, Self Titled, Mr. Nobody.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »

But the two albums aren't the same. It's not like you would be listening to one instead of the other. If you want to hear early Nas you would listen to illmatic. If you want to hear Elzhi you would listen to Elmatic. The two albums don't even give off the same vibes. One is early 90s east coast production, and one is modern production using some of the same samples as the OG.

To answer your last statement,surely you realize hundreds of artists (rappers included) do covers? A lot of them have become classics. This album is doing that for 8 tracks.

Name me a dozen of artists that have done entire album covers. No-one said anything about cover SONGS. I said albums. Read my post again.

Also, the songs are practically exactly the same musically, the only difference is that Will Sessions is nowhere near as good a producer as the worst beatmaker on Illmatic, so his beats just come off sounding like cheap copies. Give me an Elzhi solo album when he doesn't rely entirely on beats and themes that have been made up by someone else over ElMatic.

Thats not to say its a bad album, it's just completely unnecessary.

And yes, they DO give off the same vibes.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »

Name me a dozen of artists that have done entire album covers. No-one said anything about cover SONGS. I said albums. Read my post again.

Also, the songs are practically exactly the same musically, the only difference is that Will Sessions is nowhere near as good a producer as the worst beatmaker on Illmatic, so his beats just come off sounding like cheap copies. Give me an Elzhi solo album when he doesn't rely entirely on beats and themes that have been made up by someone else over ElMatic.

Thats not to say its a bad album, it's just completely unnecessary.

And yes, they DO give off the same vibes.

What's the difference between covering a classic song and covering 8 classic songs? Does that somehow make it not worth listening to you? If Elzhi had released one cover of each illmatic song per year would that make it more worthwhile to you? Cmon son....

Honestly I would say that some of the production is actually better than the OG. Some of the producers on illmatic came average *cough qtip*. The fact Elmatic is live instrumentation gives it a fresh vibe. How could you not love the extended instrumental on Life's a Bitch? And also what themes dude? Nas on illmatic didn't know how to stick to themes yet.

It's all opinion and you not liking it is yours. But it makes no sense to dislike it for being a cover when covers are a big part of music.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:53:12 AM by Spice 2 sees the bitch in you »