Author Topic: Slim The Mobster - War Music (Download)  (Read 2244 times)

Okka

Re: Slim The Mobster - War Music (Download)
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
I've had a feeling that the only reason why this Dre gave this guy a shot was because of his supposed relations with DOC and probably his street ties. I know it's common in the industry and i may even
be wrong but i seriously doubt dude would sign him if he was regular joe from South Central. What i'm saying is there's probably a motive as to why they signed him, outside of his "talent" i believe, might be tax write-off might be something else but i just get the feeling that it ain't strictly music cuz Slim isn't wack but def isn't anything special at all and does not have the star potential that Aftermath/Interscope usually looks for.

That's what i've been thinkin too. Is Slim also related to Chocolate? He been fuckin with Dre ever since the start of Death Row.

Matty

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
like someone said i don't think there is much interest on the interwebs in dude at all. right here is where you'll find the most commentary on this tape. i was looking over some other blogs where this and the dre track were posted (like 2dope) and there was like 2-3 comments, which is pathetic if you see how much interest there is in other artists. i think dre has turned off a lot of general hip hop fans by all the delays, low quality/corny output as of late and all the artists that have been peddled over there only to get dropped. it's all about the big bucks now, jimmy the jew, headphone endorsements.  it's not even funny, it's just meh.

even dre's appearance on this tape is nothing to write home about. you'd expect something big given the supposed vault, even for a throwaway. that's my rant. positive is that we've got some cool music to bump from slim already. hopefully he can drop a lot more tracks like bishop did.

Eric - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
I've had a feeling that the only reason why this Dre gave this guy a shot was because of his supposed relations with DOC and probably his street ties. I know it's common in the industry and i may even
be wrong but i seriously doubt dude would sign him if he was regular joe from South Central. What i'm saying is there's probably a motive as to why they signed him, outside of his "talent" i believe, might be tax write-off might be something else but i just get the feeling that it ain't strictly music cuz Slim isn't wack but def isn't anything special at all and does not have the star potential that Aftermath/Interscope usually looks for.

That's what i've been thinkin too. Is Slim also related to Chocolate? He been fuckin with Dre ever since the start of Death Row.

Chocolate is his uncle.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
only thing im waitin for, is new leaks from the new and/or old aftermath-vault,, bound to happen sooner or later. fuck a detox-album
whatever happnd to that "notafraid2leak"-kid?

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
Dre is basically retired ... seems to me the motivation wasn't for some time anymore and when he saw the opportunity to make big bucks with the headphone , he just put his whole energy into it and completelyput music aside ... the fact there is no one single Dre beat on Game  or on this tape is another proof ... he's just fucking around , changing/adding minor things on  some others beatmakers instrumentals here and there ... the fact that Snoop is hitting up the studio with others producers to get him beats for Detox shows Dre involvment and dedication in his music isn't there anymore ...  basically he wants to do very little work for the joke " Detox",   that's it will never come out or will be garbage because Dre moved on from music ...

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »
I like the music, features & production, but I can't help to think that Bishop Lamont is a far superior rapper to the somewhat bland and average Slim The Mobster.

Slim doesn't really stand out in any way.. neither lyrics, flow, voice or charisma sets him apart from most new rappers..
true, dre is making himself look bad by hyping slim

that's what a lot of people are saying

Exactly. And that's been evident since the start. What many forgot is that Bishop was set to be Dre's new "sidekick" for the "Detox" era, like Snoop during the "Chronic" era and Em in the "2001" era. Slim the Mobster  was a typical additional sighnee like 50, Game...etc (not the main sidekick-type character). Bishop's departure from Aftermath put a hold on those plans which added to Detox's delay even more. Now Dre is desperately trying to replace Bishop as his new main protoge, but people like Mobster, Game/50, Hayes, and even Kendrick (to an extent) won't. Kendrick does stand out more than the others like Bishop did, but I feel he doesn't display as much of a versatile entertainment value that can reach all demographics that Bishop has.

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »
I like the music, features & production, but I can't help to think that Bishop Lamont is a far superior rapper to the somewhat bland and average Slim The Mobster.

Slim doesn't really stand out in any way.. neither lyrics, flow, voice or charisma sets him apart from most new rappers..

Exactly. And that's been evident since the start. What many forgot is that Bishop was set to be Dre's new "sidekick" for the "Detox" era, like Snoop during the "Chronic" era and Em in the "2001" era. Slim the Mobster  was a typical additional sighnee like 50, Game...etc (not the main sidekick-type character). Bishop's departure from Aftermath put a hold on those plans which added to Detox's delay even more. Now Dre is desperately trying to replace Bishop as his new main protoge, but people like Mobster, Game/50, Hayes, and even Kendrick (to an extent) won't. Kendrick does stand out more than the others like Bishop did, but I feel he doesn't display as much of a versatile entertainment value that can reach all demographics that Bishop has.

bishop wasnt taht great either. lack of charisma n kinda borin

Matty

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »

Exactly. And that's been evident since the start. What many forgot is that Bishop was set to be Dre's new "sidekick" for the "Detox" era, like Snoop during the "Chronic" era and Em in the "2001" era. Slim the Mobster  was a typical additional sighnee like 50, Game...etc (not the main sidekick-type character). Bishop's departure from Aftermath put a hold on those plans which added to Detox's delay even more. Now Dre is desperately trying to replace Bishop as his new main protoge, but people like Mobster, Game/50, Hayes, and even Kendrick (to an extent) won't. Kendrick does stand out more than the others like Bishop did, but I feel he doesn't display as much of a versatile entertainment value that can reach all demographics that Bishop has.

bishop was dope, had good content for the most part, although i didn't like his vocals all the time and especially his slower flow. i think stat quo deserved to drop his album over there and that joell ortiz was the best artist signed in recent years. good thing he was smart and left before being shelved for years and/or dropped.

after the big bang (letdown overall) i'm dubious whether dre has any spectacular tracks left outside his own album for signees, but slim the mobster could be suitable for lacing some of those gangsta beats that he's known so well for. looking more and more like anticipointment tho :monkey_dance2:

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »

You really think so? Well, I respect your opinion. But I honestly found him quite funny and entertaining ever since I first heard It's Bishop, and he melded it well between party/fun content and conscious subject matter. Not to mention the creative/gothic ghost themes he'd do every now and then- a unique element hardly seen in Hip Hop today. With it all being wrapped up in a "Platinum backbacker/proud geek" type rapper as opposed to the boring and typical street/gangsta gimmick. Add on top of that being a much better lyricist with better flow than slim the mobster, IMO.

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
what about hitman?

that was dre's sidekick.........and he was a flop........people shouldnt be checking for dre sidekicks
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

thegooddoc

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
what about hitman?

that was dre's sidekick.........and he was a flop........people shouldnt be checking for dre sidekicks

This.

Back against the Wall was one of Dre's best flows that I've heard in awhile.  I don't think people really care who Dre's sidekick is, only that the music is dope.l

In re to Bishop Lamont, he had a nice flow, but it always seemed like he was trying to be Jay Z to me. Pretty big shoes to fill that he wasn't able to fill. Once he left Aftermath, his music has been pretty mediocre.

Shot Callin

• Lil Geezy
  • Shot Callin'
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
I thought Hittman sounded pretty dope actually

Well just got the mixtape downloaded. Here's the quick review:

Dreaming (2/5)
What Goes Up (1/5)
Fuck you (3/5)
Falling Star (2/5)
Back Against the Wall (2/5)
Martyr (1/5)
South Central Blues (1/5)
Whose House (1/5)
See It (4/5)
Gun Play (1/5)
Take it Easy (5/5)

The best track by far was Take it Easy, but we only get a 1:37 short version of the song!

deleting all tracks except three of them.

Portugoal

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »
The problem with Bishop Lamont is that he fell the fuck off when he started to work with Dre. I wouldn't be surprised if there are actually good Slim The Mobster songs from the time before he worked with Dre.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »

bishop was one of the most charismatic artists from aftermath

bishop was dope, had good content for the most part, although i didn't like his vocals all the time and especially his slower flow. i think stat quo deserved to drop his album over there and that joell ortiz was the best artist signed in recent years. good thing he was smart and left before being shelved for years and/or dropped.

after the big bang (letdown overall) i'm dubious whether dre has any spectacular tracks left outside his own album for signees, but slim the mobster could be suitable for lacing some of those gangsta beats that he's known so well for. looking more and more like anticipointment tho :monkey_dance2:
joell took a long time before releasing another album

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2011, 06:26:33 AM »

bishop was one of the most charismatic artists from aftermath

joell took a long time before releasing another album

lol, no