Author Topic: nelly vs drake (whats the difference?)  (Read 4775 times)

rayallen0

Re: nelly vs drake (whats the difference?)
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Drake has deeper songs than nelly ever did...nellys shit was just rapping bout sterotypical love songs/breakups. drakes are actually self reflective and talk about whats actually going on in his life.

not sure if id say deep...he comes off as real self absorbed id like for him at some point in his career expand his topics to talk about more shit but he drops some ill liness every now and again...he had a few songs with some really dope bars on his new shit.
He raps about what he knows. tired or rappers trying to relate to shit they know nothing about.

thats actually the opposite of deep...shallow. i like a few of his shits but to say hes a deep lyricist is giving duke way too much credit. ppl compare his emo ness to pacs but when has drake made a record with a message or a universal truth in it?

...that aint happened yet. when it does it will be the turning point of his career.

dog look at the sweat suit album then that piece of shit album he did called brass knuckles then look at the shit nelly is doing now (the wack song with TI)

remember that queer ass song nelly did with shyheem or what ever that crooning dudes name was?

im not saying they sound the same im saying basically that he is this generations version of nelly....they approach all they shit from the same angle.

i had to google brain austin green thats actually a good comparison if you take out the success drakes had out of the equasion.

drake is a WAYYY better rapper then nelly ever was too.

You forget most of his music was that country grammar shit. Having a couple soft songs on a later album doesn't suddenly make him Drake. Drake's entire style is being soft. Nelly experimented with a couple songs. Just like Snoop did.

yeah i aint gonna front he did come out on some gangsta shit but he had them super poppy joints on his debut too. (must be the money)

remember nellys mananger was cudda love and cudda is also mases manager turning nelly into a sweetheart was always the plan...ive heard tracks they did pre universal and i shit you not  nellys rapping about guns and drugs and shit lol

that makes the comparison even more relevant becasue when drake first came out on his first cpl mixtapes he was rapping his ass off and way more lyrical he also had to cross over for success.
I'm not saying he is making shit for the hood and to uplift the community or talking political. but most people can relate to having your heart broken and looking at mistakes and just his interpersonal records.

midwestryder

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »
i just hope drake dont start rapping with his fucking shirt off...

that shit is so sickening lol i think ive seen nellys nipples more then ive seen my own.

nohomo

and give drake props for not shoving his wack ass team down your throat like nelly did the st lunatics.

wackest niggas ever.
sorry petey got to stop you there ST. LUNATICS are not even close to wack . the wackest niggas ever is gucci man & his whole crew . the st lunatics are 10x better then gucci man & his whole crew , ludacris DTp artists , & T.i's PSC ! NElly never had wack team ever !st lunatics are still making dope music but you would have no idea since you are not from st louis like me. also the nelly's new song with T.I.is not wack at all . you just can't understand it because you are not country azz nigga like me ,nelly ,t.i.,big k.r.i.t. & most of people in the midwest & the south.  a song is not wack because you don't understand it ! stop hating on my mans nelly . it is not cool look & no drake is not even close to being a nelly or LL cool j . because LL cool J & nelly both came from the hood . while drake never came from the hood & is from stupid ass gay teen tv show . drake is wack compared to LL cool J & nelly . nelly started a movement while drake did not start shit .

rayallen0

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »

that shit is so sickening lol i think ive seen nellys nipples more then ive seen my own.

nohomo

and give drake props for not shoving his wack ass team down your throat like nelly did the st lunatics.

wackest niggas ever.
sorry petey got to stop you there ST. LUNATICS are not even close to wack . the wackest niggas ever is gucci man & his whole crew . the st lunatics are 10x better then gucci man & his whole crew , ludacris DTp artists , & T.i's PSC ! NElly never had wack team ever !st lunatics are still making dope music but you would have no idea since you are not from st louis like me. also the nelly's new song with T.I.is not wack at all . you just can't understand it because you are not country azz nigga like me ,nelly ,t.i.,big k.r.i.t. & most of people in the midwest & the south.  a song is not wack because you don't understand it ! stop hating on my mans nelly . it is not cool look & no drake is not even close to being a nelly or LL cool j . because LL cool J & nelly both came from the hood . while drake never came from the hood & is from stupid ass gay teen tv show . drake is wack compared to LL cool J & nelly . nelly started a movement while drake did not start shit .
lmao that is some lame ass. "you have to be from the hood to rap" bull shit. what kind of small ass range do you have for your hip hop taste.

And did you seriously compare Big K.R.I.T. to Nelly?  ::)

lifestyles aside I relate very heavily to most of what Drake is saying. Whether you like the guy's music or not, I wish you'd admit he's more in touch with what goes on in most outer city male's heads in this decade/century.

Take Care is a beautiful album. We don't get that in hip hop usually. hip hop always found its roots in bass, in at least a measurable amount of grit and mean-mugged struggle. Soul, funk, ruggedness. Take Care? This album could care less.  Much like his original mentor, Phonte of Little Brother, Drake is a guy who can flip the rap/R&B switch near-perfectly, and isn't afraid to tell us what's on his mind even at the expense of being taken seriously.

Sure he's corny, but he's also an excellent songwriter, and he owns his quirks, which for my money is all I ask for from a pop artist. Especially if you're going to make something as shiny and attractive to the ears as Take Care.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:43:14 PM by rayallen0 »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
lmao at this dude...

im from the midwest raised in chicago and the D and still lives in michigan now...nelly and his team did what they did but he fucked up yall legacy by turning his movement into some pop shit. at least drake came out on some cotton candy shit, you prolly like chingy wack ass too. ppl will always relate st louis hip hop to gimmicky ass bandaids and grills and shit now.

midwestryder

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
lmao at this dude...

im from the midwest raised in chicago and the D and still lives in michigan now...nelly and his team did what they did but he fucked up yall legacy by turning his movement into some pop shit. at least drake came out on some cotton candy shit, you prolly like chingy wack ass too. ppl will always relate st louis hip hop to gimmicky ass bandaids and grills and shit now.

don't ever put st louis hip hop with grills. grillz are texas & down south . also nothing about chicago is country . so you can't understand if your from such a shitty place as chicago. no one puts st louis hip hop to gimmicky ass bandaids .nelly quit wearing bandaids over 5 years ago & no nelly did not turn his movement into some pop shit at all . as you said Nelly is todays LL cool J & LL cool j is not pop or soft  .see what you don't get is st louis hip hop is a life & well in st.louis.chingy was never that bad .  if you said jibbs ,i would understand it . murphy lee is putting out some dope work these days.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »
lmao at this dude...

don't ever put st louis hip hop with grills. grillz are texas & down south . also nothing about chicago is country . so you can't understand if your from such a shitty place as chicago. no one puts st louis hip hop to gimmicky ass bandaids .nelly quit wearing bandaids over 5 years ago & no nelly did not turn his movement into some pop shit at all . as you said Nelly is todays LL cool J & LL cool j is not pop or soft  .see what you don't get is st louis hip hop is a life & well in st.louis.chingy was never that bad .  if you said jibbs ,i would understand it . murphy lee is putting out some dope work these days.

okay your right nelly is on top of the game and his music is gutter as fuck lmfao

rayallen0

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »
LL Cool J isnt pop? wtf yes he is. Just cuz you make pop music doesnt make you wack. god people can't open there tiny little closed minded brains. If it ain't gutter its wack.

bouli77

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 04:21:25 AM »

lmao

You should compare drake to Brian Austin green, I know that equal wish he would have first dropped now.yell 

lmao x2

remember nellys mananger was cudda love and cudda is also mases manager turning nelly into a sweetheart was always the plan...ive heard tracks they did pre universal and i shit you not  nellys rapping about guns and drugs and shit lol

lmao true that. Nelly was heavily influenced by E-40, Spice 1 and Too $Hort . Hence his "Bay" song on Brass Knuckles produced by Droop-E where he impersonates these three dudes (and he does it very well, especially the 40 part). I remember reading a Murder Dog interview from 2000 where Jay Tee from N2Deep was basically saying Nelly got his game from E-40.

"So many rappers got game from E-40.  I just saw a video on BET from a rapper that I know were raised on E-40.  Everything he was sayin was E-40 related--Nelly outta St. Louis.  He's good, but you know E-40 influenced him."

http://murderdog.com/archives/2000/n2deep.html

as far as Drake being similar to Nelly and LL Cool J I can see your point since they make cuts for the ladies and owe their success in part to their looks. i can't stand Drake but i must admit he's a potent lyricist.

lol, and you're the one constantly talking about "close-minded" people.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »
Nelly's music was at least listenable.  I can't even listen to any of the garbage that Young Money is putting out.  But regardless, both Nelly and Drake make music for the bitches.   I've always like rappers who made music the male hip-hop fans.  Artists like Xzibit and Nas for example never really had that many female fans, because the majority of their tracks are hard shit that women can't really get into as much.

Chuck D used to say that back in the day when he was choosing tracks for his album, he would play it for his girl, and whatever songs she liked he'd cut from the album, and whatever tracks she didn't like he would add to the album.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
Nelly's music was at least listenable.  I can't even listen to any of the garbage that Young Money is putting out.  But regardless, both Nelly and Drake make music for the bitches.   I've always like rappers who made music the male hip-hop fans.  Artists like Xzibit and Nas for example never really had that many female fans, because the majority of their tracks are hard shit that women can't really get into as much.

Chuck D used to say that back in the day when he was choosing tracks for his album, he would play it for his girl, and whatever songs she liked he'd cut from the album, and whatever tracks she didn't like he would add to the album.

lol brian got his cherry popped to get your eagle on

teecee

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 11:54:41 AM »
my homie and i was talking about this the otherday and i wondered what yall thought...i dont see that theres a difference between what drakes doing now and the shit nelly did early 2000s but it was acceptable then becasue thats when half yall was getting your cherries popped lol i know some of yall wore grills and bandaids and all that shit some of yall probably got your first pairs of AF1s of the strength of that nelly song.

i think the hate for drake is more or less a reflection of how the older hip hop heads feel about the younger emo generation. alot of that music is nauseatingly soft, i cant sit through the whole "im proud of you" song shits just to sappy even for an r and b fan like me but i gotta give props where props is due...them dudes are starting a whole new soundcoming from toronto and now american producers are emulating it. (not sure if its good or bad)

the gothic chords over filtered drums is the signature toronto sound and the US hip hop scene is outsourcing like a motherfucker to get it, what im asking yall is how is the shit drakes doing different then what nelly or even a rapper like mase did? and them dudes went multi plat i know some of yall drake haters have them albums in your collection.

take care is still one of the best mainstream albums to drop this year.

I liked a few Nelly songs like RIde WIt Me and Luvin Me, but didn't really feel him like that.  Drake...same thing.  I can't play a full album but can bump a song here and there.  Nelly and Drake are nothing at all alike, but I will say Drake probably makes a better a quality of music, he just isn't my thing

Matty

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
drake doesn't have any tracks as good as hot in herrre :monkey_dance2:

posting high too 8)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 05:55:14 PM »
always hated "hot in herre"

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
I was a teenager when Nelly first came out. His music was the shit back in the day. Everybody was loving that laid back rap/singing style of his.

thats st louis style...

pretty willie

chingy did it

nelly did it..

domino did it..ghetto jam, sweet potato pie...etc..

Matty

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »
if i want some chilled out music i'll put out some jazz, soul or smooth jams, not drake. hip hop has to be hittin and pretty funky for me to enjoy it most. drake doesn't really do any jammin' style records like that.