Author Topic: Working At Death Row Records - The Reality, Crazier Than The Myth  (Read 2412 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Working At Death Row Records - The Reality, Crazier Than The Myth
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 04:35:54 AM »
Suge didn't bankrupt the label, it was a combination of things such as political pressure putting fear into potential business, or lenders, distributors and so on

Quote from: Article
Time Warner grew increasingly uncomfortable under such highly-publicized negative limelight, particularly when the prominent conservative politician Bob Dole became involved, calling the music Time Warner was producing 'nightmares of depravity.'

Time Warner could not censor what Interscope chose to produce without breaking a legal contract signed by the two companies. If Interscope opted to release 'Dogg Food,' it could do so with or without Time Warner's blessing. Interscope did release 'Dogg Food,' and in doing so forced Time Warner's hand; the latter bowed out of its 50 percent stake in Interscope at the end of the year
Quote from: article
four months after the company bought back Time Warner's 50 percent interest in Interscope, it sold that same stake to MCA Records for just over $200 million, Bronfman, however, was wary of the furor created over Interscope's involvement with Death Row and maintained a right to refrain from supporting the release of material deemed too controversial or subversive by MCA standards
Quote from: article
Interscope has assembled an unmatched array of alternative-rock and urban-music hit makers.' However, in that same article, founder Ted Field confessed that, due to the scandal surrounding Interscope's distribution of Death Row and the controversial lyrics of some of its other stars, particularly Marilyn Manson, he could no longer even donate money to the Democratic Party, of which he had been a long-time supporter and fund-raiser. His company had simply become too hot, both socially and politically

There is also the investigation in 95/96 that Michael Harris was trying to help out with.... The MSRPS was also deciding whether or not to decline investment into companies that release music with explicit content. They met with RIAA, company executives and anti-rap groups to discuss how to get their share holdings out, and how to move forward. You'll notice how they (Interscope) parted from Death Row, with the best, and most profitable (Dr Dre & Co.) releasing "softer" music way later than you'd have expected if it was simply down to Suge, or even the murder of 2Pac. There was no way Suge was going to release watered-down content. They all tried to make him before, Time Warner, Interscope, Tucker, and others, but he point blank refused to water down his music. He didn't give in. I respect the man for that, and for releasing quality

hes mainly responsible for it going bankrupt. no need to act like he's a victim

V2DHeart

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 05:54:25 AM »
In a way he is... He was brought up in a tough place, and had to grow up with a "take no shit" attitude, and he applied this attitude to his work. All of us only wish we could spit the truth to our bosses, and tell them the way it's going to be.

Corporate America knew fine well the type of man Suge Knight was in way back in the early 90's.
They knew it before Death Row Records even started, and they knew it when he was grabbing over confident suits by the scruff of the neck in board room meetings in full view of Iovine, Turner and Co.

It was, and never would have been a problem. Death Row only became a problem when public demonstrations against explicit rap took place, and politicians spoke out against it, even all the way up to vice presidents, and presidential candidates. Corporate America did give Suge the chance to water down the content, to which he refused, it was then that he was eventually black balled. It had nothing to do with his way of business, or prison sentence.

fact is, if Suge decided to water down Death Row's content, and soften the image, Death Row would have still been a huge label today. It wouldn't have had some of it's records released, and our perception of Death Row records would have been way different. It would be a major sell out label releasing Will Smith-Style records
Tucker and all them others who wanted a piece of his label, Suge told them where to go, and refused to give up what he had built up, and constant refusal of this resulted in the corporate powers backing away from the label. He had his chance, so I guess in a way you're actually correct. He, and his choices did lead to the demise, but not what is commonly reported and spoke about.

He's a victim for wanting to protect the image and the quality of his label

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 06:20:27 AM »
suge it seemed was a great businessman his downfall was bringin violence into death row and rippin off the artists.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

bigpimpin20

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
just finished reading the one relating to tupac. lol @ suge laughing about and proclaiming pac was raped and later ironically signed him to death row.

Right. That's def something i believe happened to be honest. Suge was probably either trying to get under her skin or maybe he's just bi-polar (Seems so in most of her write ups about him).

Btw there's an article about Snoop from 1995 on the same site too, that's where i found the picture i posted of him and another one with him and Tray Deee in the "Post your pictures" thread. Check it out.
There's also a Twinz interview from 1995.

here is that article, some interesting info in it ---> http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/rewind-to-the-time-snoop-dogg

Will_B

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
just finished reading the one relating to tupac. lol @ suge laughing about and proclaiming pac was raped and later ironically signed him to death row.

Right. That's def something i believe happened to be honest. Suge was probably either trying to get under her skin or maybe he's just bi-polar (Seems so in most of her write ups about him).

Btw there's an article about Snoop from 1995 on the same site too, that's where i found the picture i posted of him and another one with him and Tray Deee in the "Post your pictures" thread. Check it out.
There's also a Twinz interview from 1995.

here is that article, some interesting info in it ---> http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/rewind-to-the-time-snoop-dogg

Really dope read thanks!

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
i saw an interview wit simone greene saying that anything that happened at death row (beatdowns,etc.) were always videotaped (suge insisted).
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »
In a way he is... He was brought up in a tough place, and had to grow up with a "take no shit" attitude, and he applied this attitude to his work. All of us only wish we could spit the truth to our bosses, and tell them the way it's going to be.

Corporate America knew fine well the type of man Suge Knight was in way back in the early 90's.
They knew it before Death Row Records even started, and they knew it when he was grabbing over confident suits by the scruff of the neck in board room meetings in full view of Iovine, Turner and Co.

It was, and never would have been a problem. Death Row only became a problem when public demonstrations against explicit rap took place, and politicians spoke out against it, even all the way up to vice presidents, and presidential candidates. Corporate America did give Suge the chance to water down the content, to which he refused, it was then that he was eventually black balled. It had nothing to do with his way of business, or prison sentence.

fact is, if Suge decided to water down Death Row's content, and soften the image, Death Row would have still been a huge label today. It wouldn't have had some of it's records released, and our perception of Death Row records would have been way different. It would be a major sell out label releasing Will Smith-Style records
Tucker and all them others who wanted a piece of his label, Suge told them where to go, and refused to give up what he had built up, and constant refusal of this resulted in the corporate powers backing away from the label. He had his chance, so I guess in a way you're actually correct. He, and his choices did lead to the demise, but not what is commonly reported and spoke about.

Poor suge.  The ghetto made him do it.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Jimmy H.

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »

None of that makes him a victim. His label didn't fall because of blackballing. Even after the prison stint, he was still getting interview time with Carson Daily, Hot 97, Howard Stern, and all the top media personalities. He had cover stories on The Source, XXL, etc. They suffered because their business fell apart. Their top producer left, their biggest star died, and their other biggest star departed not long after that. They had no major names and their CEO was not around to oversee a new creative direction for the company.

This isn't a FACT. It's an extremely unlikely "hypothetical" scenerio. It's unlikely Suge would have met anything close to what Puffy and them were doing with that. Gangsta rap had run its course. Between the N.W.A. period and Death Row, that was a good eight years of that style. A transition to more radio-friendly music would likely have equaled similar or worse results than what Dr. Dre was doing at the time, which didn't go over that well with fans. To make the transition to that style, they would need a new face to push it and they didn't have that. It wouldn't have worked.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »

how is that a fact, lol.

theres no way you can tell that it would have worked.

dexter

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »

nic

V2DHeart

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
Suge got a lot of TV and radio time from all the top media correct, simply due to his image, and viewer draw in. There was no risk, or backdraft for simply having him "appear" on a show, than what it would be financially investing or backing him, for his label to put out the demonized "gangsta rap" but his label was getting shunted back-door. MTV and others declined on playing their videos, playing their records on radio, having the current roster on promotional shows that others were appearing on for LESS money. They wouldn't even put the roster on XXL unless Suge agreed to be in the shoot, and he didn't like it, or the view that he was taking their shine away. Investors wouldn't invest, top financial business partners to the label with good seats in major corporate labels backed off slowly but surely, then others started to sue the label (Harris, Ruthless, Afeni) for huge amounts, which made the remaining few potential high backers turn away

Suge still had an array of talent, a healthy R&B roster, and good music being made, and still had 2Pac material, yet couldn't get anyone to back it.

Look at Too Gangsta 4 radio. That compilation was a statement rather than just an album title stating the content. I can remember at the time before it's release, it was mentioned about how frustrated they were that no one was playing their shyt despite having big names like Left Eye, and arguably the biggest pop rapper at the time (Ja Rule) affiliated with the label, album/song sharing, and still they wouldn't open the door to Death Row. Rap was turning soft. The suits had taken it over, and they simply didn't want a guy like Suge who wouldn't back down coming in with his gangsta rap

No one can deny that Death Row got blackballed due to the pressures years earlier. All this bad press Suge got, yet artists such as left eye with nothing to gain still went. Kurupt still went back, and others too.

Every CEO is business minded, and money orientated, but for my own interests I'd probably prefer Suge as a boss, than some corporate souless university grad. At least you know he'd have your back outside of the office as he did for many artists as it's well documented
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:03:07 PM by V2DHeart »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
Every CEO is business minded, and money orientated, but for my own interests I'd probably prefer Suge as a boss, than some corporate souless university grad. At least you know he'd have your back outside of the office as he did for many artists as it's well documented

If u wanna play wannabe gangster, sure.  If u wanna release music, maybe not.

V2DHeart

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
But then that isn't the reason for it's failure... Look at Baby, Puffy, and the rest of them. They are equally as bad at playing the wannabe gangster

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 02:57:37 PM »
But then that isn't the reason for it's failure... Look at Baby, Puffy, and the rest of them. They are equally as bad at playing the wannabe gangster

Ill give u that, but they didnt do it to the extent that people run to the other side of the street when theyre coming.

Doesnt matter though.  He put some good music out and im glad he did, but lets not play ourselves here, once his talent left, his music sucked even if it was "gangsta".  Too Gangsta 4 Radio wasnt any great album.  Watered down?  No way.  But good?  Meh. 

I would like to see what suge could do with some new talent but we may never get to hear that.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 05:27:17 AM »
Suge got a lot of TV and radio time from all the top media correct, simply due to his image, and viewer draw in. There was no risk, or backdraft for simply having him "appear" on a show, than what it would be financially investing or backing him, for his label to put out the demonized "gangsta rap" but his label was getting shunted back-door. MTV and others declined on playing their videos, playing their records on radio, having the current roster on promotional shows that others were appearing on for LESS money. They wouldn't even put the roster on XXL unless Suge agreed to be in the shoot, and he didn't like it, or the view that he was taking their shine away. Investors wouldn't invest, top financial business partners to the label with good seats in major corporate labels backed off slowly but surely, then others started to sue the label (Harris, Ruthless, Afeni) for huge amounts, which made the remaining few potential high backers turn away

Suge still had an array of talent, a healthy R&B roster, and good music being made, and still had 2Pac material, yet couldn't get anyone to back it.

Look at Too Gangsta 4 radio. That compilation was a statement rather than just an album title stating the content. I can remember at the time before it's release, it was mentioned about how frustrated they were that no one was playing their shyt despite having big names like Left Eye, and arguably the biggest pop rapper at the time (Ja Rule) affiliated with the label, album/song sharing, and still they wouldn't open the door to Death Row. Rap was turning soft. The suits had taken it over, and they simply didn't want a guy like Suge who wouldn't back down coming in with his gangsta rap

No one can deny that Death Row got blackballed due to the pressures years earlier. All this bad press Suge got, yet artists such as left eye with nothing to gain still went. Kurupt still went back, and others too.

suge's 'street tactics' killed the label in the long run, take off your pink glasses.