Author Topic: Do you think Crooked I not having a solo album is good for his career?  (Read 900 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: Do you think Crooked I not having a solo album is good for his career?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »
I'll say this. It's on a MUCH smaller scale, so don't take it incredibly literal. BUT, lets not act like when Wu-Tang dropped "36 Chambers" y'all didn't think Method Man was dope as fuck. You didn't need Tical to solidify that opinion.

Slaughterhouse debut was really dope. Coulda used some work in direction of songs, themes, production. Better hook game. Making more songs along the lines of "Move On". But let's say Slaughterhouse, under Shady, drops their second album & it's the dopest shit in a long while. Why doesn't he get that pass Method Man got in '93?

1) Method Man also didn't make promises to his fan base for 6+ years that his album was dropping soon

2) The internet had very little presence in '93 as it does now. Leaking albums/songs wasn't on a worldwide scale in '93 as it is today. Plus with social media sites and constant interaction with fans, more pressure nowadays to release material than there was then.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
So basically you're all just mad he didn't come through with what he promised. I personally can't hold that against an artist.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
I'll say this. It's on a MUCH smaller scale, so don't take it incredibly literal. BUT, lets not act like when Wu-Tang dropped "36 Chambers" y'all didn't think Method Man was dope as fuck. You didn't need Tical to solidify that opinion.

Slaughterhouse debut was really dope. Coulda used some work in direction of songs, themes, production. Better hook game. Making more songs along the lines of "Move On". But let's say Slaughterhouse, under Shady, drops their second album & it's the dopest shit in a long while. Why doesn't he get that pass Method Man got in '93?

Because Meth was a part of two classic albums. Since when is Slaughterhouse one of the greatest groups of all time and since when is Crooked I a part of two of the greatest albums of all time? A more legit comparison would be Kool Kim from the UMCs. You ask who? Exactly. Actually scratch that, because he put a solo out.

Even if he were a part of a classic group it might not be enough. I don't see anyone raving about Masta Killa or U-God.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:22:45 PM by Spice 2 sees the bitch in you »

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 08:15:19 PM »

Because Meth was a part of two classic albums. Since when is Slaughterhouse one of the greatest groups of all time and since when is Crooked I a part of two of the greatest albums of all time? A more legit comparison would be Kool Kim from the UMCs. You ask who? Exactly. Actually scratch that, because he put a solo out.

Even if he were a part of a classic group it might not be enough. I don't see anyone raving about Masta Killa or U-God.

I cant understand what you are talking about....please dont try to explain it to me
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
 dont care if he has an album out or not

Portugoal

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
dont care if he has an album out or not

I agree. There's so much (solo) music out already. He sounds over jacked beats than over original beats anyway.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »

Not my point. They didn't drop the album & people were like "WOW, Method Man is one of the all-time greats". Obviously years went by & the album gained more "classic" value & is now regarded as one of the greatest Hip Hop albums of all-time. My point is that after it came out, right away people recognized how good he was. He could of got popped after that & people today would talk about how good he was off a group album.

Crooked could bring some amazing shit to the table next time around & I wouldn't need a solo album to solidify his dopeness.

Will he? Unlikely. But point is you don't "need" a solo album to recognize the greatness.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:45 PM »
Actually Crooked is in a very good position right now, as a part of Slaughterhouse signed to Eminem. You guys forget that he is bigger than he has ever been at the moment. Us on this forum might have been following his music for over a decade and are frustrated about no album dropping, but dude grinded his way up and he has constantly expanded his fanbase and is more known now than ever before.

Sure, "the album" never dropped, but he has released more music (both original songs and freestyles) than a lot of artists with regular retail releases.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »
Yes, and the same could be said of Ice Cube before he went solo or Snoop if he went out before dropping "Doggystyle" but the short of it is Crook didn't have that kind of impact with his shit. He don't have that universal hit record or 16 that people know across the world. Cube did. Snoop did. Meth did. Treach does. It's not a knock on him as a talent. It's just the way things go.

The Meth comparison just doesn't work. The guy came in with the group, had a huge buzz, and just kept building on that momentum. Not to say Crook ain't still capable of choking the shit out of the game in the long run but let's call it like this. Wu-Tang dropped in November '93. Tical was finished and released a year later. Slaughterhouse has been out for 2 years now. He's far too established to some unknown catching the world by surprise at this point.

V2DHeart

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 02:41:30 AM »
He is far too eastablished, as in known to the industry, due to the length of his career, the people he's worked for and with (Snoop, Shady, Death Row) and R&B singers and rappers he's written for over the years. People already know

He damaged his solo career with this constant watered down mixtape trash..It's got to the point where... In fact scrap that!!! I became bored of Crooked I years ago, it's not even as if it's anything new anymore. One or two for buzz is fine, but the more and more mixtapes and EP's he puts out, just shows his interest in becoming an artist and wanting an album out to the point where it's cringing to watch, especially when a bulk of the material is skipper material, and "right-click"-"delete" garbage
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

EFFeX

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »
Actually Crooked is in a very good position right now, as a part of Slaughterhouse signed to Eminem. You guys forget that he is bigger than he has ever been at the moment. Us on this forum might have been following his music for over a decade and are frustrated about no album dropping, but dude grinded his way up and he has constantly expanded his fanbase and is more known now than ever before.

Sure, "the album" never dropped, but he has released more music (both original songs and freestyles) than a lot of artists with regular retail releases.

I agree. Crooked is actually in the best position he's been in career wise. People like to claim Death Row was the height of his musical career, but if you actually take the time to count out the accomplishments he's made since then, he's in such a better position. Even since 2006/2007 when B.O.S.S. was finally going to drop, he's on a national platform with Slaughterhouse and now Eminem. He may have lost fans along the way, but the amount that he has gained since then is far greater.

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »
question for effex...........has Crooked toured with eminem?   I think the answer is no,
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »

I agree. Crooked is actually in the best position he's been in career wise. People like to claim Death Row was the height of his musical career, but if you actually take the time to count out the accomplishments he's made since then, he's in such a better position. Even since 2006/2007 when B.O.S.S. was finally going to drop, he's on a national platform with Slaughterhouse and now Eminem. He may have lost fans along the way, but the amount that he has gained since then is far greater.
sure but slaughterhouse isn't g unit, its not like he'll go platinum with a solo project, now that slaugterhouse is signed.

shady doesn't really release albums, so it's not likely that slaugherhouse drops an album on that label.

V2DHeart

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »
Best position in his career?? Are you kidding me?

He's older, a lot fatter, and uglier than he ever was before.... & in Hip Hop nowadays, that is never going to get you into the stores, and on shelves, when the fan base are mainly teens, and that most are just so narrow minded.

They might have signed with one of the greats (Eminem) but that doesn't mean instant success, and future platinum ability. Just look at all the Shady or Aftermath failures. Anyone remember Cashis?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »

Not my point. They didn't drop the album & people were like "WOW, Method Man is one of the all-time greats". Obviously years went by & the album gained more "classic" value & is now regarded as one of the greatest Hip Hop albums of all-time. My point is that after it came out, right away people recognized how good he was. He could of got popped after that & people today would talk about how good he was off a group album.

Crooked could bring some amazing shit to the table next time around & I wouldn't need a solo album to solidify his dopeness.

Will he? Unlikely. But point is you don't "need" a solo album to recognize the greatness.

Wu Tang came out and it was the hottest shit ever heard. It was the new thing. Not only that but Meth's solo song on the album was a radio hit. He made an impact and stuck out as a part of the hottest group of the moment. Like Jimmy said, similar to Cube and Treach. Not only that, but he stuck around. If he had stopped making hits after 36 Chambers, no one would be talking about him now. You can't compare that to a guy the mainstream isn't aware of. Like I said, he's more comparable to a Kool Kim. Had a little mainstream success, was a part of two dope group albums.