Author Topic: Classic for today - Snoop Doggy Dogg "The Genie" featuring Bad Azz & Bo Roc  (Read 2235 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/D8Ra-Vc_NyI&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/D8Ra-Vc_NyI&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player</a>

I hope the mods don't get mad but I wanted to put this beautiful song on blast today.  I think its a highlight of unreleased Snoop Doggy Dogg material from Death Row.  It also shows that he didn't really need Dr Dre when he left Death Row, all he needed was a little imagination and inspiration (and a raw ass beat).  

Songs like this and "Caught Up" should've been the direction they shoulda took with Snoop Dogg thru 94-97.  It's water under a bridge now but damn tho, tha amount of good and classic material that came from Snoop Doggy Dogg and Death Row at that time is still unmatched to this day [imo - but really tho, who else is there besides Dre, Nas, Pete Rock, and Pac?].  It's almost like they sabotaged this nigga's career after 95', I see why he left (other than the money).  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:11:03 AM by Hollywood Bilderberg Group™ »

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Snoop definitely had a lot of great tracks on tha Row even after Dre left. He was well surrounded too, with DPG & LBC CRew members & producers.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Some dope shit...

I think Snoop kind of fell off as a result of his trial.  It really shocked him facing a Life sentence and he just wasn't feeling up to making that gangsta shit we heard on The Chronic and Doggystyle.  Also, maybe his ego started to become too big and Dre didn't feel like working with him.  Because Dre was with Death Row from 94 to the beggining of 96 yet him and Snoop were barely working with each other during those two years.  So even though Dre left in 96, they weren't fucking with each other much anyway.

But like someone said in this thread, he still had a lot of talent around him with The Dogg Pound and the LBC Crew, and a gang of dope ass producers.  They should of kept only the hottest 5 or 6 joints off the Doggfather album and then went and jacked like 4 bangers from the Dogg Pound and another 4 bangers from LBC Crew.  Cause their shit was hott and the time, and Snoop could of just spit a little 16 on some of those tracks or an intro or outro and called it a wrap.

Also Snoop had a few dope unreleased tracks in the can like this joint.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

2euce 7even

that was when snoop dogg was snoop doggy dogg. time´s change, so do people.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
snoop was definitely on his a game in the 90's and has songs on albums and soundtracks that outshine the above songs listed. they coulda been better but that's why they were unreleased. it's still a dope track though. i like that ''what u wanna be when you grow up'' wit snoop and lil c style that shit is a gem.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
Some dope shit...

I think Snoop kind of fell off as a result of his trial.  It really shocked him facing a Life sentence and he just wasn't feeling up to making that gangsta shit we heard on The Chronic and Doggystyle.  Also, maybe his ego started to become too big and Dre didn't feel like working with him.  Because Dre was with Death Row from 94 to the beggining of 96 yet him and Snoop were barely working with each other during those two years.  So even though Dre left in 96, they weren't fucking with each other much anyway.

But like someone said in this thread, he still had a lot of talent around him with The Dogg Pound and the LBC Crew, and a gang of dope ass producers.  They should of kept only the hottest 5 or 6 joints off the Doggfather album and then went and jacked like 4 bangers from the Dogg Pound and another 4 bangers from LBC Crew.  Cause their shit was hott and the time, and Snoop could of just spit a little 16 on some of those tracks or an intro or outro and called it a wrap.

Also Snoop had a few dope unreleased tracks in the can like this joint.

Good point. But also Dre kinda went on his own after DOC left, which was around 1994 somewhere. He was still on Death Row but if you've read the interviews or whatever it seemed as if he went a lil' anti-social within the label almost missing out on meeting and what have you. Snoop like you said started to lose it little by little during the trial but he also wanted out of Death Row since like late 1995 or some shit so maybe that's part of the whole Dre-Snoop thing you mentioned.

BiggBoogaBiff

That's literally the same thing I said about Tha Doggfather (plenty of times).  

He should've grabbed:

OBG by Swoop G
Lil Ghetto Boy Remix
Too Blacc
Caught Up
A few more beats from Sam Sneed
A beat from Quik
Less Arkim n Flair
Less Daz
Less DJ Pooh
No Doggyland and Snoop Bounce (original) - why he thought that was cool idk
Add Dippin N My Lo Lo
More Warren G and Nate Dogg
Add "The Genie" and maybe even make it as a 3rd single with a very basic and hood video 4 it.

I mean there was so much funk comin out tha studio then it was suicide not to take it to tha next level production wise.  I think he shouldve built some buzz off of the Soundtrack and released it in February of 97'.  I mean that album had so much potential to be just as good if not a little better than Doggystyle and we haven't even heard everything yet.  It's a damn shame what happened, talk about Poor Management.  It didn't even need to be all about shoot me up bang bang, those instrumentals that were coming out between 94-96 were already hard enough.  All he needed to do was use that smooth flow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:58:11 PM by Hollywood Bilderberg Group™ »

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
That's literally the same thing I said about Tha Doggfather (plenty of times).  

He should've grabbed:

A few more beats from Sam Sneed
Two beats from Quik
Less Arkim n Flair
 DJ Pooh & More Daz
Add Dippin N My Lo Lo
More  Nate Dogg
Add "a change gon' come'' or wanted dead or alive and maybe even make it as a 3rd single.

I mean there was so much funk comin out tha studio then it was suicide not to take it to tha next level production wise.  I think he shouldve built some buzz off of the Soundtrack and released it in February of 97'.  I mean that album had so much potential to be just as good if not a little better than Doggystyle and we haven't even heard everything yet.  It's a damn shame what happened, talk about Poor Management.  It didn't even need to be all about shoot me up bang bang, those instrumentals that were coming out between 94-96 were already hard enough.  All he needed to do was use that smooth flow.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

HighEyeCue

of course at the time it came out I was dissapointed, but as the years went by I liked Tha Doggfather more and more

I still think its Snoops 2nd best studio album

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
of course at the time it came out I was dissapointed, but as the years went by I liked Tha Doggfather more and more

I still think its Snoops 2nd best studio album
this.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

funny u mentioned a song from that "death row - lost sessions" crap.

imo that shit contained some of the worst Snoop-material ever, this song included.

granted, Snoop had his moment creatively durin his stint on that label, but he also had his share of crap on Death Row.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:27:51 PM by Michael Madsen »

Will_B

imo that shit contained some of the worst Snoop-material ever, this song included.

:eh:

Snoops Death Row leftovers >>>>>>>>> 99% of Snoop's output since 2002.

MUHFUKKA

the best song wideawake released imo, caught up was cool too but not as finished sounding as the genie

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

na,
 just cuz its "Death Row" , doesnt necessarily make it great or perfect.
unmixed DAT's wit unfinished recordings when Snoop n Bad Azz is mumbling over halfass beats? no thanks

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:27:44 PM by Michael Madsen »

Will_B

Snoops Death Row leftovers >>>>>>>>> 99% of Snoop's output since 2002.

na,
 just cuz its "Death Row" , doesnt necessarily make it great or perfect.
unmixed DAT's wit unfinished recordings when Snoop n Bad Azz is mumbling over halfass beats? no thanks

:poke: