Author Topic: New York Yankees deal Jesus Montero for Seattle Mariners' Michael Pineda  (Read 443 times)

rayallen0

The New York Yankees have traded top prospect Jesus Montero and right-handed pitcher Hector Noesi to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for phenom pitcher Michael Pineda and righty Jose Campos, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

The Yankees receive the 22-year-old Pineda after he went 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA for the Mariners as a rookie last year.

After an up-and-down year in Triple-A, Montero came up to the majors and showed off his electric bat. In 18 games, he hit .328 with four home runs and 28 RBIs. He was expected to be the Yankees designated hitter this season.

While there are no questions about Montero's bat, there are some doubts on whether he can catch in the majors. The Yankees almost dealt Montero once before to the Mariners in a 2010 trade for Cliff Lee. The trade fell through and the Mariners ended up sending Lee to the Texas Rangers.

Pineda adds more youth to the Yankees' rotation behind CC Sabathia. After Pineda, the Yankees have Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes, who are both 25 years old.

Hughes will likely have to compete with Freddy Garcia and A.J. Burnett for the fourth and fifth starter spots.

Later Friday though, the Yankees added yet another arm, signing former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Not happy about this in the least.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:02:22 PM by rayallen0 »

TheRemedy360Ressurection

Re: New York Yankees deal Jesus Montero for Seattle Mariners' Michael Pineda
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
From a personnel standpoint I don't mind it, I love Pineda but we've got Paxton and Walker who are projected to be top of the rotation starters plus Holtzen all in our farm system, so our pitching is fine. Montero is supposed to be the real deal, and considering how bad our offense has been recently I'm OK with it. The only thing I don't like about it is that he's on the Yankees. To Cham and any other Yanks fun, you're gonna like this guy, dude is a beast physically and has the potential to be an ace. He made the all star team last year and actually out pitched Felix for the first half of the season. The CC/Pineda is going to be a dominant one two punch.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:42:39 PM by TheRemedy360Resurrection »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »
I'm scared lol. Kid is young. Seems like raw talent. Throws the ball hard though, always a plus.

Jesus is Jesus. Fuck.

rayallen0

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
From a personnel standpoint I don't mind it, I love Pineda but we've got Paxton and Walker who are projected to be top of the rotation starters plus Holtzen all in our farm system, so our pitching is fine. Montero is supposed to be the real deal, and considering how bad our offense has been recently I'm OK with it. The only thing I don't like about it is that he's on the Yankees. To Cham and any other Yanks fun, you're gonna like this guy, dude is a beast physically and has the potential to be an ace. He made the all star team last year and actually out pitched Felix for the first half of the season. The CC/Pineda is going to be a dominant one two punch.
thats why im not happy. anybody but the fucking yankees.

TheRemedy360Ressurection

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
I'm scared lol. Kid is young. Seems like raw talent. Throws the ball hard though, always a plus.

Jesus is Jesus. Fuck.

He can also throw a slider in the 90's, I'd put my money on him. I have my own questions about Jesus, Safeco is a shitty park for right handers, we all saw what happened to Adrian Beltre (before mariners, during mariners, and after Mariners).

MistaNova

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
Woah, completely out of the blue.

Though I would've prefered Montero to stay with the Yankees if he was gonna rob Posada of his job and go somewhere else.
Yankees should've asked for Danny Hultzen.

TheRemedy360Ressurection

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
^ Why Hultzen? I don't know a whole lot about him honestly, but Pineda has all the makings of an ace, not saying it'll happen right away, but I think the CC/Pineda combo could be about as good as any in baseball at some point. I can't really think of anything I like more about Hultzen besides the fact that he's a lefty. If Hultzen turns out to be better I'll eat my words but pitchers with the physical presence and command that Pineda have don't grow on trees.

rayallen0

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:28 PM »
dude was 2nd in strikeouts per 9 innings and it was his rookie season. and only a 1.099 WHIP. and he is 22. dude is a beast.

MistaNova

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
^ Why Hultzen? I don't know a whole lot about him honestly, but Pineda has all the makings of an ace, not saying it'll happen right away, but I think the CC/Pineda combo could be about as good as any in baseball at some point. I can't really think of anything I like more about Hultzen besides the fact that he's a lefty. If Hultzen turns out to be better I'll eat my words but pitchers with the physical presence and command that Pineda have don't grow on trees.

The Mariners have a way of producing pitching prospects. They've shown everyone what they've done with Hernandez and Pineda, and they've got more on the horizon highlighted by Hultzen.
Though come to think about it the Yankees have been rumored to have a few pitching prospects of their own on the rise, and if any of them are as good as Nova, they probably should've asked for someone who can hit and play 3rd base...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:20:01 AM by Iveus »

TheRemedy360Ressurection

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:08:46 PM »

The Mariners have a way of producing pitching prospects. They've shown everyone what they've done with Hernandez and Pineda, and they've got more on the horizon highlighted by Hultzen.
Though come to think about it the Yankees have been rumored to have a few pitching prospects of their own on the rise, and if any of them are as good as Nova, they probably should've asked for someone who can hit and play 3rd base...

Well Hultzen was just drafted last year so we really don't know a while lot about him yet..Paxton and Walker would be better examples cause they've been in the organization for a bit and are some of the top prospects in baseball, not sure what Hultzen's status is. As for someone who can hit, our organization is short on those which is why we made the trade in the first place lol. As far as I know y'all don't have much pitching aside from CC so I think it's a good deal for you.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:32:22 PM by TheRemedy360Resurrection »

TheRemedy360Ressurection

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
The New York Yankees have traded top prospect Jesus Montero and right-handed pitcher Hector Noesi to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for phenom pitcher Michael Pineda and righty Jose Campos, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

The Yankees receive the 22-year-old Pineda after he went 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA for the Mariners as a rookie last year.

After an up-and-down year in Triple-A, Montero came up to the majors and showed off his electric bat. In 18 games, he hit .328 with four home runs and 28 RBIs. He was expected to be the Yankees designated hitter this season.

While there are no questions about Montero's bat, there are some doubts on whether he can catch in the majors. The Yankees almost dealt Montero once before to the Mariners in a 2010 trade for Cliff Lee. The trade fell through and the Mariners ended up sending Lee to the Texas Rangers.

Pineda adds more youth to the Yankees' rotation behind CC Sabathia. After Pineda, the Yankees have Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes, who are both 25 years old.

Hughes will likely have to compete with Freddy Garcia and A.J. Burnett for the fourth and fifth starter spots.

Later Friday though, the Yankees added yet another arm, signing former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Not happy about this in the least.

This guy is regarded as a better hitting prospect than Dustin Ackley, and we all saw what he could do last  year. Besides the fact that Pineda is on the Yankees there's not a whole lot to be upset about here.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:21:55 AM »
Why is it that the moroners[just made that up] keep trading with & helping out their archrivals?  Not supposed 2 do that.  When they do that, they keep getting the wrong side of the deal.  Kinda understand now why seattle's management banned their fans from wearing yankees suck shirts at the games.  They're 1 of the yankees farm teams.  Do some seattleites wish that it was the baseball team that moved to OKC instead of the sonics?

TheRemedy360Ressurection

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »
Why is it that the moroners[just made that up] keep trading with & helping out their archrivals?  Not supposed 2 do that.  When they do that, they keep getting the wrong side of the deal.  Kinda understand now why seattle's management banned their fans from wearing yankees suck shirts at the games.  They're 1 of the yankees farm teams.  Do some seattleites wish that it was the baseball team that moved to OKC instead of the sonics?

It was a strength for strength trade, the Mariners are loaded with pitching but have had historically bad offense the last two years and we got one of the top hitting prospects in baseball. Aside from CC the Yankees didn't have a lot going in their rotation so they got a great pitching prospect in Pineda, it was a good deal for both teams. I don't know when the Mariners and the Yankees became "archrivals" considering they're in different divisions and play across the country, but hypothetically, what makes you say we are a Yankees farm team? The only other significant trade we made with New York was when we acquired Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps which George's dad bitches about on Seinfeld, it's a known fact that the Yankees got ripped off, so I don't really know where you're getting your information from. Also, the two times I've seen the Yankees play at Safeco Field I've rocked my Yankees Suck tshirt, so I don't know what you're talking about.

MistaNova

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 06:35:11 AM »
Well Hultzen was just drafted last year so we really don't know a while lot about him yet..Paxton and Walker would be better examples cause they've been in the organization for a bit and are some of the top prospects in baseball, not sure what Hultzen's status is. As for someone who can hit, our organization is short on those which is why we made the trade in the first place lol. As far as I know y'all don't have much pitching aside from CC so I think it's a good deal for you.

I hope the Mariners'll use Montero as a catcher rather than a DH over there. A lot of people say he won't make it behind the plate, but as kid who took Posada's job(s) away from him he'd better be the next Yogi Berra...
Still with Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova & Hughes (I guess) the Yankees got themselves some good arms now :).

TheRemedy360Ressurection

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »
^ Yeah, it seems like most scouts don't think he's gonna be a catcher, but after watching the Mariners for the last few years as long as he can hit I'm happy lol. And yeah Sabathia/Pineda is gonna be a crazy 1-2 punch.