Author Topic: What Was The First G-Funk Song?  (Read 1859 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: What Was The First G-Funk Song?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
vocally pimpin was supposedly g-funk, but always into something came out even before that. and i always thought the formula sounded like g-funk. but forreal, vocally pimpin and black mafia life are trash records compared to the chronic. always into something and 187 are much batter than any song off either of the atl records too. you might technically call what atl was doing at the time g funk, but in all honesty, it sounds nothing like the chronic

yeah NWA's album came out in May of 1991 while ATL's came out a few months later

but if you ask Big Hutch he will tell you who invented it :laugh:
and dre mixed kokane's first album (under the Who am i name).

Quadruple OG

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned "The Formula" by DOC

Came out 2 years before "Efil4zaggin" and 4 years before "Black Mafia Life". Just saying...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:01:12 PM by Reality Check »

Tutlock

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:35 AM »
the sound been around for years so the real question would be who invented the term G-Funk

2euce 7even

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »
the sound been around for years so the real question would be who invented the term G-Funk

ATL N Da Boy Pizznac

HighEyeCue

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
vocally pimpin was supposedly g-funk, but always into something came out even before that. and i always thought the formula sounded like g-funk. but forreal, vocally pimpin and black mafia life are trash records compared to the chronic. always into something and 187 are much batter than any song off either of the atl records too. you might technically call what atl was doing at the time g funk, but in all honesty, it sounds nothing like the chronic

yeah NWA's album came out in May of 1991 while ATL's came out a few months later

yeah, almost forgot about this track from Deep Cover 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:28 AM »

the version you posted is the album version, the deep cover version is slightly different.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9hxKik66DE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M9hxKik66DE</a>

HighEyeCue

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:12 AM »

the version you posted is the album version, the deep cover version is slightly different.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9hxKik66DE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M9hxKik66DE</a>

props 8)

his album came out in '91 I believe, the Deep Cover soundtrack in '92

Desert Lord

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »

ah really?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »

ah really?
yes.
Credits▼

Bass, Guitar – Stan Jones
    Co-producer – Above The Law
    Co-producer, Vocals – Lay Law
    Engineer – Donovan Smith (2), Mark "The Don" Paladino
    Keyboards, Mixed By, Producer, Vocals, Programmed By – Cold 187um
    Mixed By – Dr. Dre
    Vocals – DJ K-oss, Funkette, Go Mack, KMG, Lillian (3), Ms. Kilo, Sweet Talk, Tha New Funkateers
http://www.discogs.com/Who-Am-I-Addictive-Hip-Hop-Muzick/release/1419645

Desert Lord

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 02:57:03 AM »
cool

dnjp4life

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 05:44:40 AM »
gangsta gangsta and dopeman

how is this hard to realize?

They may have contained the whiny synth that is a trademark of the genre, but these 2 tracks are not explicitly g-funk in my opinion.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »
those songs sound more like what public enemy was trying to do back then.

it qualifies as gangsta rap but definitely not g funk hackster.

bouli77

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
gangsta gangsta doesn't sound quite like public enemy, it has that groovy guitar that doesn't sound necessarily g-funk but definitely funk to the fullest and kinda defined the dominant "west coast sound" where the beat was musical and as important as the flow and the lyrics when before the instrumental just served the purpose of setting a backdrop against which a rapper could spit. i'd say it was one or two steps before g-funk as we know it