Author Topic: did any of you listen to rakim before he joined aftermath?  (Read 481 times)

Trauma-san

Re:did any of you listen to rakim before he joined aftermath?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2003, 07:38:08 PM »
Of course I did.  You're not the only person who knows about rap.  

The Watcher

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2003, 09:57:04 PM »
yep, ive listened to him from the get-go with Eric B.
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2003, 11:20:10 PM »
since i got into hip-hop around '90-91... although i didn't hear a full album of his until about 93-94 (which goes for a lot of people... it was hard to get stuff up here until Dre and Snoop blew up..)... now happily own the full collection... one of my favorites...
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Hittman2001

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2003, 12:17:02 AM »
Nope, i never heard of him until i saw he was signed to aftermath.  i've downloaded a few of his songs since then, and i've read up on him.  i am impressed. now that dre is his producer, i can't wait till his album drops

KVB

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2003, 02:39:20 AM »
No, I didn't listen to Rakim much before he signed to Aftermath... I had heard some of his biggest songs like "Paid In Full" and the like, but I wasn't much into him. After he joined Aftermath I started downloading more of his earlier work, and it was quite impressive... I'm still not a huge fan, but I will definitely buy Oh My God when it drops.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2003, 07:50:27 AM »
I was too young to listen to him when he came out with Eric. B, but ever since I become a proper follower of hip-hop it was natural to catch onto their work, like may others of their time. I think it was the "Juice" soundtrack that got me into them properly though, and then "The 18th Letter" and "Book Of Life" album/s came about in '97.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2003, 11:10:09 AM »
I wasn't around for the Eric B and Rakim albums when they first came out, and I somehow missed on 18th Letter when that was released. However, the moment I first heard When I B On The Mic on the radio I knew that this guy was gonna be one of my all time favourites. I have since bought The Master, and then I got the version of 18th Letter with the Eric B and Rakim Greatest Hits packaged with it, which was all dopeness, although some of the Master is a bit average. I plan to get each of the individual Eric B and Rakim albums somewhen, and I will definately be buying Oh My God when it drops even though I am a bit worried about Dre doing the majority of the production simply because his previous attempts at New York grimy style beats (The Firm, some of those 50 Cent joints) haven't exactly been amazing, as for me production by DJ Premier, Large Professor, Alchemist, Pete Rock etc would have made for a better album that what I think we are going to get.

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2003, 11:59:17 AM »
I bought Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em after I saw it as a 5 Mic album in the 100th issue of The Source.

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2003, 02:12:26 PM »
I've been listening ever since Paid In Full. That was definatly a classic.

Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...