Author Topic: Christianity  (Read 2661 times)

ikke

Re: Christianity
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 07:59:46 AM »
lol at blaming a religion for the advancement of science. blame the people, there was stupid fucks back then and theres stupid fucks now, dosent matter what time period you came from. there may of been advancements of science in the middle ages but only advancements that were minimal but still huge in that era.

its like saying modern sceience has hindered the development of society now. nuclear bombs since there conception have threatened humanity and you could say hindered other science every since they were invented.

i hate all this religion v science bullshit, no side is wrong on whichever side you sit on and no side is right. they both have there own views and beliefs. science once told us the earth was flat and we all know how that turned out.
They were stupid because church was feeding them bullshit, Copernicus would be murdered if he openly admitted he thought the earth revolved around the sun. Just look at this day and age, Christians are still holding back scientific advancements with all the complaining about stemcell research.

Advancements that were minimal now but big back then?
No there were practically none in comparison to every other era in human history.

By that logic 90% of all ancient figures should be taken into question. The Gospels are no less historical than the writings of Plato with regards to who Socrates was. Of course it doesn't even matter. Christ could not have said anything the Bible says but Christ the Teacher would still exist in the writings and his teachings would still have nothing to say about a flat earth or revolving around the sun.
True, scientist just piece together the puzzle to see what's most likely, what the bible says isn't likely.
IN most cases you also have multiple sources which always gives more credit.
Yes they are less historical, plato & socrates were writing from a objective perspective in contrast to the writers of the bible.
Biblical stories are written in away some modern writers write, they see something happen and use it as a base for a fictional story.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 08:48:22 AM »
lol at blaming a religion for the advancement of science. blame the people, there was stupid fucks back then and theres stupid fucks now, dosent matter what time period you came from. there may of been advancements of science in the middle ages but only advancements that were minimal but still huge in that era.

its like saying modern sceience has hindered the development of society now. nuclear bombs since there conception have threatened humanity and you could say hindered other science every since they were invented.

i hate all this religion v science bullshit, no side is wrong on whichever side you sit on and no side is right. they both have there own views and beliefs. science once told us the earth was flat and we all know how that turned out.
They were stupid because church was feeding them bullshit, Copernicus would be murdered if he openly admitted he thought the earth revolved around the sun. Just look at this day and age, Christians are still holding back scientific advancements with all the complaining about stemcell research.

No there were practically none in comparison to every other era in human history.

By that logic 90% of all ancient figures should be taken into question. The Gospels are no less historical than the writings of Plato with regards to who Socrates was. Of course it doesn't even matter. Christ could not have said anything the Bible says but Christ the Teacher would still exist in the writings and his teachings would still have nothing to say about a flat earth or revolving around the sun.
True, scientist just piece together the puzzle to see what's most likely, what the bible says isn't likely.
Yes they are less historical, plato & socrates were writing from a objective perspective in contrast to the writers of the bible.
Biblical stories are written in away some modern writers write, they see something happen and use it as a base for a fictional story.

Shows what you know. Socrates never wrote a fucking word.

ikke

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »

My bad, I meant the way they thought

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 09:23:37 AM »
Jesus as a teacher is not fictional. His life and teachings are documented. Embelished maybe in your mind but the teachings of Christ, aka Christianity, is what is at debate here. Your beef should be with Judaism, and Western Europe's adoption of that religion and paired with Chrsitianity. Jesus never mentioned what we should believe in or not believe in with regards to how the world works. He did everything but call Moses a liar. So a Christian could argue that true Christianty should put aside Judaism.
documented by the bible, not a reliable source

there are external sources of his existance, but that's where it stops, his existance
It's a very reliable source. Archaeology proves that. There's accounts in The Bible that we know today BECUZ it was written in the book.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »

My bad, I meant the way they thought

All we know of Socrates is what Plato wrote about him, and even then much of Plato's writing is Plato speaking his own thoughts through Socrates as a character in his writings. And no one can tell for sure which Socrates quotes are Plato quoting Socrates or Plato writing his own ideas. Jesus is written about in dozens of old accounts and it'd be easier to say Socrates never existed and wasn't a teacher than it would be to say Jesus isn't.

pastor cyber

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »
I(Jesus) have come, that they(mankind) may have life and have it to the full - John 10:10(NIV)

Christianity is not a religion. It is a way of life. Jesus never said, He came to give us religion. He said, He came to give us life.

www.deathandlife.org

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
Jesus (as the son of God) is fictional, so it isnt Jesus himself that stunts scientific growth.  But being a true believer of Christianity also means being a non believer in certain scientific truths (evolution for example).  That mentallity can only lead someone to believe that Christianity itself HAS stunted scientific growth. 
Wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
a concealed hidden semitic sky deity created the universe with his magical powers, let it evolve in violence & meaninglessness for billions of years, then intervened quite recently in in bronze age palestine/israel by using a pious jewish virgin to send his one and only offspring who also had superpowers, which he chose not to use to prevent himself being killed by 3 nails on 2 planks of wood by mere mortals.........but there was a reason for that ! he took the punishment for all of OUR sins, for we humans our sinners...... Then 3 days later he rose from the dead like a zombie into a new body & and now he talks to you and grants you wishes as your invisible genie friend who grants you more then 3 wishes.

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO WAY ANY OF THAT CAN BE WRONG
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:34:04 AM by morbidenigma »

Sikotic™

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »
You know you're gonna burn in hell if you don't believe that, right?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
What a stupid poster. For one the "dark" ages did have quite a bit of practical advancements happen with regards to technology. What was left behind in science had nothing to do with the religion, but rather the conquering feudal kings who felt they should do away with everything their once Roman masters held high. It wouldn't have mattered if Christianity existed or not. The Byzantine Empire still held strong in science ad math through out most of the Western dark ages and it was very Christian. The great Church Ayia Sofia is an architectural marvel and it was built in those terrible Christian years of no progress.

So we have nice looking churches instead of time travel

rayallen0

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
Spirituality inspires me.

organized religion disgusts me.

Fraxxx

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:18 AM »
What a stupid poster. For one the "dark" ages did have quite a bit of practical advancements happen with regards to technology. What was left behind in science had nothing to do with the religion, but rather the conquering feudal kings who felt they should do away with everything their once Roman masters held high. It wouldn't have mattered if Christianity existed or not. The Byzantine Empire still held strong in science ad math through out most of the Western dark ages and it was very Christian. The great Church Ayia Sofia is an architectural marvel and it was built in those terrible Christian years of no progress.

So we have nice looking churches instead of time travel

More like, art is created anyway, but when the church was the THE dominant power and had all the money then artists made christian art. That simple, look at Michaelangelo's work. It's not like he wouldn't be an artist today but his themes wouldn't nescessairly be christian.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:40:31 AM by Fraxxx »
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »

it's become fashionable for some people to say " oh im not religious, but spiritual", as if yep i know of the negativety associated with calling myself 'religious', so i'll use the euphemism of 'spirituality' to be more accepted.

what is spirituality? whenever I hear the word 'spirituality' my forehead gets closer to having a permanent frown on it. I haven't been given a definition that isn't abstract yet. it's as kooky and spooky as other religious concepts. It's seems like a word designed to create warm fuzzy feelings and goosebumps just like 'gaaawwwddd' without even become close to being discerned as to what the word actually means. The only spirits I can relate to is the drink I buy my mate or the presence of wet paint.

rayallen0

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »

it's become fashionable for some people to say " oh im not religious, but spiritual", as if yep i know of the negativety associated with calling myself 'religious', so i'll use the euphemism of 'spirituality' to be more accepted.

what is spirituality? whenever I hear the word 'spirituality' my forehead gets closer to having a permanent frown on it. I haven't been given a definition that isn't abstract yet. it's as kooky and spooky as other religious concepts. It's seems like a word designed to create warm fuzzy feelings and goosebumps just like 'gaaawwwddd' without even become close to being discerned as to what the word actually means. The only spirits I can relate to is the drink I buy my mate or the presence of wet paint.
lmao its faith, belief in something greater than yourself. easy to understand. organized religion is some mass religion that tries to poke its head into politics and push its own agenda, even though they don't pay taxes. simple shit.