Author Topic: [News] The Lady Of Rage - Re-release - 2012  (Read 1108 times)

Okka

Re: [News] The Lady Of Rage - Re-release - 2012
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
Do they really except this album to sell now that they're re-releasin' it? Who makes the decisions at WA? I really wanna know.

Schreibs21

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »
Their already released catalog is far more valuable than unreleased music, they're proven money makers. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense to re-release all of their albums, now if they were smart they would add bonuses to each re-release as well.

That was the main interest in their "Chronic" re-release. Now if you take the Kurupt re-release, the interest was... null?

You can't look at the hardcore fans that want the unreleased music, you have to look at the casual fan, those far outweigh the hardcore fans. Sure it was the main interest for like 500 people but not for the other 25,000 or whatever it was that bought it. Also I guess I should clarify that they should re-release all the albums that were popular, ie up until around 2001 or so.

I can understand your point but those "casual" fans, what difference does it make to them to buy this "new" re-release compared to the "oG" Death Row release or one of "Tha Row" re-releases? Considering they all have the exact same tracklisting? Another point is that most "new" fans might not even longer care for hard dicscs compared to i-Tunes & such? So what's the argument to "push" the sales without any "bonus" I ask? Where's the "added value" you know?

Because the older versions are discontinued so once they run out in stores they're gone, whereas the newest re-release/remaster will now be the one to get continually stockpiled. I don't think there is a definitive answer as to why a casual fan wants to buy the new release besides the fact that the older versions will no longer exist. It could be they scratched their disc or lost it or it's a new fan and they know The Chronic or Doggystyle are classics so they go pick it up. Regardless, it happens with every artist that has re-releases, the well known classic albums will continue to sell well.

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
Their already released catalog is far more valuable than unreleased music, they're proven money makers. From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense to re-release all of their albums, now if they were smart they would add bonuses to each re-release as well.

That was the main interest in their "Chronic" re-release. Now if you take the Kurupt re-release, the interest was... null?

You can't look at the hardcore fans that want the unreleased music, you have to look at the casual fan, those far outweigh the hardcore fans. Sure it was the main interest for like 500 people but not for the other 25,000 or whatever it was that bought it. Also I guess I should clarify that they should re-release all the albums that were popular, ie up until around 2001 or so.

I can understand your point but those "casual" fans, what difference does it make to them to buy this "new" re-release compared to the "oG" Death Row release or one of "Tha Row" re-releases? Considering they all have the exact same tracklisting? Another point is that most "new" fans might not even longer care for hard dicscs compared to i-Tunes & such? So what's the argument to "push" the sales without any "bonus" I ask? Where's the "added value" you know?

Because the older versions are discontinued so once they run out in stores they're gone, whereas the newest re-release/remaster will now be the one to get continually stockpiled. I don't think there is a definitive answer as to why a casual fan wants to buy the new release besides the fact that the older versions will no longer exist. It could be they scratched their disc or lost it or it's a new fan and they know The Chronic or Doggystyle are classics so they go pick it up. Regardless, it happens with every artist that has re-releases, the well known classic albums will continue to sell well.

True, this will apply to "The Chronic" & "Doggystyle", but does it apply (& I mean NO disrespect to Rage) to "Necessary Roughness"? I somewhat doubt it...
Just like Daz "RRGB" though it sure was a solid effort, din't sell much either.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
True, this will apply to "The Chronic" & "Doggystyle", but does it apply (& I mean NO disrespect to Rage) to "Necessary Roughness"? I somewhat doubt it...
Daz's album went gold (which paled in comparison to other Death Row albums prior to it but was still good from a business standpoint, especially considering that Suge was locked up and Bad Boy was back on top).  Rage's album went wood, but it was hard for me to hunt down when I actually wanted it in 2001 or so.  Luckily I found it used and on sale (along with Fatal's In the Line of Fire) at some mom-and-pop music store closing its doors.

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Daz's album went gold (which paled in comparison to other Death Row albums prior to it but was still good from a business standpoint, especially considering that Suge was locked up and Bad Boy was back on top).  Rage's album went wood, but it was hard for me to hunt down when I actually wanted it in 2001 or so.  Luckily I found it used and on sale (along with Fatal's In the Line of Fire) at some mom-and-pop music store closing its doors.

There are always copies selling at Amazon Marketplace & Ebay & such & often for as cheap as a dollar bill...

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
But I'm talking about 11 years ago...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 01:29:52 AM »
The Kurupt release was dumb because they tried to re-package it as a "new album". I don't mind a re-release of the Rage album but they're still seriously failing as a label overall.

Will_B

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:57 AM »
On the Kurupt release they should've put out an older revision of the album (if it was ever finished and mastered)

That could've even been a second cd....or fill up a cd or DVD with m4a files like the Chronic relit.

Portugoal

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 02:51:25 AM »
Fuck a re-release, i wanna hear the unreleased music.

doggfather

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

green-eyed bandit

• 'G'
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 04:04:52 AM »
Not to be disrespectfull, but who is waiting for a re-release of Lady Of Rage's Necessary Roughness? Is it not one of less populair death row releases? Anyway, for me re-releases are cool IF we get some bonus songs/remixes/unreleased stuff. I'm not buying it for better sound quality only.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
I'm not buying it for better sound quality only.
It's WideAwake.

Westcoast Pig

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
Tha Don Fatha sayz :

your real nerdy with that don fatha sayz shit wigger

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »

i think that type of marketing aproach would work ay-okay in the 90's. i dont c a point tho, in re-issuing a lousy compact disc for the 4th time in 2012, n expect some kind of "revenue"

a customer might as well pick up the og-print for a few bucks on ebay or amazon instead

doggfather

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:55 AM »

a customer might as well pick up the og-print for a few bucks on ebay or amazon instead

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ