Author Topic: Nexus - Cold Dark Night...~REVIEWED~  (Read 3277 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Nexus - Cold Dark Night...~REVIEWED~
« on: February 04, 2003, 09:30:11 PM »
Here's a quick review I did for Nexus's debut album, "Cold Dark Night"...To download the album Click Here...And here's my quick little review:

1.Support (Intro) - One of the better beats on the album. I like this one because the beat totally fits the lyrics. Just some smooth laid back shit that makes you think. It makes you feel what Nexus is saying. A good introduction to the album...4/5

2.The One - This track was released on the "One Love" compilation way back. Everyone liked it so much, that we decided to put it on this album. The beat is some dope ass West Coast shit produced by JayMastaJay. I think this is the perfect opener for the album...4.5/5

3.Think U Can Feat. Sccit - This one is a banger. I love the beat. This track is more West Coast than any other track on the album. One verse by Nexus, and one verse by me (Sccit). Nexus rips the beat into shreds, and I rap one of my better verses...4/5

4.Unstoppable - The first single for the album. This was a bad choice for a first single, because it sounds very East Coast, and it caused the whole board to sleep on Nexus. I personally like the song. Very catchy, but not interesting enough. Nice beat, Nice concept, nice flow...3.5/5

5.Still Goin' Strong - A very old song. None-the-less, I like it a lot. The beat is East Coast, but it's a lot more Up-beat than "Unstoppable"...My only complaint would be the chorus is too monotone. Nexus raps the chorus, and it's hard to tell where the chorus is, and where the verses are because the beat stays the same for the chorus. Still a hot ass track...3.75/5

6.He Ain't - Another West Coast banger. This one is catchy. Nexus sounds a lot different on this one than the other tracks. This one actually takes time to grow on you. At first I wasn't feelin it too much, but than I started really liking it. Tight beat, tight lyrics, tight chorus, tight everything. I also added backround vocals and scratches to this one....4/5

7.Expectations - Ohhhweee!...No chorus, just straight out rhyming about how he feels...The longest verse on the album, and an amazing beat by JayMastaJay...This is on some laidback shit...I like this one a lot...4.5/5

8.The Time Has Come Feat. Bishop - Yes...A dope track with a dope beat, featuring WCC's Bishop who everyone loves. This one is basically explaining the whack state Hip Hop is in today.  Dope verses by both Bishop and Nexus...It's a banger...4/5

9.What If - Before I touched this track up with sound effects and backround vocals, it was too monotone, boring, and repetitive...But now it's pretty cool...Nice song...3.5/5

10.I Can't Win - Honestly, this is one of my all time favorite songs! It's so damn dope, I love it. I have no complaints. Maybe it coulda' been longer, but who gives a fuck? Just keep this muthafucka on replay! If you haven't heard this, kill yourself...5/5

11.It's Nothin' - Nice beat, nice flow, good concept, tight track. Nexus's voice is a little too gruff on this one, but I like it...3.75/5

12.Cold Dark Night - The closing track is the title track. I like it. It puts you in the whole 'Cold Dark Night' mood...Very laid back...Just a track you'd listen too before you go to slep...No complaints...4.25/5

13.Again (*Bonus Track*) - Oh God...I love this...This is the track too bump in a system. Hard ass beat by Jay and a dope ass flow by Nexus. This wasn't meant for the album, but it was so dope that we had to put it on as a Bonus Track. The whole second verse is a diss to Rap Quake of WCC...He rips Quake not 1, but 2 new assholes...Lovin it...4.75/5

14.Make It Happen (*Bonus Track*) - Nice shit...The beat I have to say I'm not feeling...Too Technoish for my taste...But real nice concept, and a strong message sent across...If you want something, you gotta make it happen ya'll...Just for the message/concept of the song, this one gets a 3.5/5

Overall: I can honestly tell you this is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. This is just some straight up raw shit...I've been bumpin' it for 6 months straight, and still, I haven't gotten tired of it one bit...This album gets doper with every listen...Nexus stays very consistant throughout the whole album...For the simple fact that I've been bumpin this for 6 months, and liked it better with each listen, this one gets a 4.5/5 from me...It's a keeper no doubt...

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Nexus - Cold Dark Night...~REVIEWED~
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 12:11:02 PM »
i thought this was a nice album...for the most-part the beats were bumpin and easy to listen to...nexus usually comes nice but sometimes the monotone voice could use a little more flexibility. there are many nice songs like unstopable, i can't win, he ain't, just to name a few...at first listen i thought "it's nothin'" was an awesome track, expecially the chorus

"it's nothin it's just words, it's nothin but a diss/
it means nothin if you real, it means somethin to a bitch/"

i thought that was dope but then on the bonus track "Again" he gets himself caught up in dissing...just thought that was a little off but nothing to bring the album down at all...there are too many nice songs to ignore this, so peep that shit yall, 3.75/5.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 03:40:09 PM »
i thought this was a nice album...for the most-part the beats were bumpin and easy to listen to...nexus usually comes nice but sometimes the monotone voice could use a little more flexibility. there are many nice songs like unstopable, i can't win, he ain't, just to name a few...at first listen i thought "it's nothin'" was an awesome track, expecially the chorus

"it's nothin it's just words, it's nothin but a diss/
it means nothin if you real, it means somethin to a bitch/"

i thought that was dope but then on the bonus track "Again" he gets himself caught up in dissing...just thought that was a little off but nothing to bring the album down at all...there are too many nice songs to ignore this, so peep that shit yall, 3.75/5.

Thanks for the review homie...Much appreciated...PeACe

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 06:56:11 PM »
I just downloaded a couple of songs and he's pretty good with his delivery but the main problem is his voice is terrible.  He got stuck with that corny white boy voice.  His flow is good at times, bad at times.   :-\  

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 09:25:13 PM »
I just downloaded a couple of songs and he's pretty good with his delivery but the main problem is his voice is terrible.  He got stuck with that corny white boy voice.  His flow is good at times, bad at times.   :-\  

Hmmm...I don't see a big problem with his voice...Maybe it's a little too gruff for your taste? I know he's monotone, but that's not such a big problem...His flow, delivery, and lyrics are on all point...I mean, a hell of a lot of people love Clipse, and they're monotone as FUCK...Oh well...Whatever floats ya boat homie...IMO this shit is beyond bangin...PeACe

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 05:08:46 PM »
4.1/5

Pretty Good Album....I just burned it, so I think ima be bumpin it 4 awhile....

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 11:41:38 PM »
its a dope album, defo worth checkin out, i like the dark vibe he brings on some songs like the wolf howls on that one song.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 04:20:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments yall...PeACe

Sccit

Re: Nexus - Cold Dark Night...~REVIEWED~
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:46:50 AM »
who remembers this 1?

ARYC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »
can we still download it from somewhere ?

Sccit

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=23350&content=music

I might be the biggest fan of this album other than Nexus himself.   I must of been deep in my Muslim phase and missed this when it origionally came out.  But I've gone back and listened to it while I do my exercise routines during the day.

I find it an album that you can bump from beginning to end.  You don't have skip any tracks.  It's very fresh material, you don't get the feeling that he is trying to be somebody else.  He is just himself, and his rhymes are clever and thought provoking.  I love how he embraces the underdog persona, rather than trying to rap like he's already famous and successful.  He responds to all critics, real or imagined.  He can make up whole songs where it's like every line, he thinks it first, the critic response to that line, and then he counters with a response, and so on...  He has an interesting perspective as an emcee that's very fresh.  There's a lot of self-reflection on the album, but not overly dramatic or forced.  

His rhyme schemes are not overdone.  A lot of rappers these days may try to show off their flow, like Slaughterhouse does.  They want to show how fast or complicated they can rap.  Nexus always stays within himself and just does what he does best.  

...sometimes less is more.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:58:10 AM by Infinite »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=23350&content=music

I might be the biggest fan of this album other than Nexus himself.   I must of been deep in my Muslim phase and missed this when it origionally came out.  But I've gone back and listened to it while I do my exercise routines during the day.

I find it an album that you can bump from beginning to end.  You don't have skip any tracks.  It's very fresh material, you don't get the feeling that he is trying to be somebody else.  He is just himself, and his rhymes are clever and thought provoking.  I love how he embraces the underdog persona, rather than trying to rap like he's already famous and successful.  He responds to all critics, real or imagined.  He can make up whole songs where it's like every line, he thinks it first, the critic response to that line, and then he counters with a response, and so on...  There's a lot of self-reflection in that.  

His rhyme schemes are not overdone.  A lot of rappers these days may try to show off their flow, like Slaughterhouse does.  They want to show how fast or complicated they can rap.  Nexus always stays within himself and just does what he does best.  

...sometimes less is more.  

real shit...i believe nexus stopped rappin, but if he ever wants to make a comeback, it'd be my honor to feature him on an L.A.M.B cut.. even if we were on mtv gettin daily plays, the olive-branch will remain extended. this album is too good for how slept on it was....we were actually workin on a follow up when he suddenly lost inspiration and decided to retire....a few years later, i contacted him and he was workin on some rock music, where he was playin guitar, singin and all. the alerg route lol.....safe to say, it wasnt nearly as good as his hip-hop stuff.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:04:30 PM by NIKCC »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

real shit...i believe nexus stopped rappin, but if he ever wants to make a comeback, it'd be my honor to feature him on an L.A.M.B cut.. even if we were on mtv gettin daily plays, the olive-branch will remain extended. this album is too good for how slept on it was....we were actually workin on a follow up when he suddenly lost inspiration and decided to retire....a few years later, i contacted him and he was workin on some rock music, where he was playin guitar, singin and all. the alerg route lol.....safe to say, it wasnt nearly as good as his hip-hop stuff.

They can take it how they want, but I call that selling out.

Sccit Style Records was the shit, those were good times, and you really had a lot of great ideas.  The music coming out was genuine, and there should have been a bigger market and support base.  There was a growing trend amongst the hip-hop underground and internet forums at the time, but somehow all that got subverted into this ignorant ass South shit that emerged.  Cats like AlerG, Naz-T, and Nexus sold out, and it's a new era now.  God Willing, L.A.M.B will still break through when it's said and done and I will be there when it does   8)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:14:20 PM by Infinite »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

ARYC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
This is FUCKING NICE