Author Topic: Colin Powell's Evidence  (Read 756 times)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Colin Powell's Evidence
« on: February 05, 2003, 10:18:00 AM »
Well, who watched his speech?  Does everybody STILL think it's a bad idea to war with Iraq?  Is Iraq not a threat to anybody?  Did you actually see the evidence then???  Fuck the inspections, we just need to go in there and take them out.  

Woodrow

Re:Colin Powell's Evidence
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 10:26:19 AM »
Powell showed that Iraq has or is trying to acquire the means to make all WMD. He's shown they haven't lived up to what the world community has said they must do. He's shown a connection to Terrorism.

Are there any questions that Iraq is a threat to the World?

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 10:51:08 AM »
Powell showed that Iraq has or is trying to acquire the means to make all WMD. He's shown they haven't lived up to what the world community has said they must do. He's shown a connection to Terrorism.

Are there any questions that Iraq is a threat to the World?

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious Iraq is a threat, but the majority of the people on this board will disagree.  They will still say there is no evidence and that America or the UN should leave them alone.  BTW, did you hear him talk about that shit called "ricen"....a pinch of it will kill you SLOWLY is 72 hours.  That's some shit.

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 10:55:45 AM »
Yep... Ricin is some pretty nasty shit. It's gotta be injected or consumed, but still horrible.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 12:26:33 PM »
i still dont understand how Iraq is a threat to world security.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Woodrow

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 12:44:00 PM »
i still dont understand how Iraq is a threat to world security.
Did you watch the speech?

He layed out a well thought out case backed up with FACTS.

He showed that al-queda was operating out of Iraq and linked an Iraqi al-queda member to an assination that occured recently.

There was a video of a test flight of a mirage jet testing a delivery system for chemical weapons.

They showed a test flight of a Iraqi drone that went unfueled for 500km.

They showed a test site for long range weapons.
They also showed a map with a radius of where these weapons could reach.

Iraq is a threat to the world.

They continue to lie the world.
They continue to aspire to create WMD's.
They continue to harbor al-queda.

Whats the issue you don't understand?

Kaidy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 01:15:57 PM »
I didn't see it yet, I'll watch it later and make my opinion then. I'm guessing the US has fake evidence to impress people but regardless of if it's real or not, there is going to be a war. Bush and his cronies will get it one way or another.

What I think is interesting is that nobody is talking about Afghanistan any more, I haven't heard bin Laden's name mentioned for a while. Remember that joke of a war? They didn't catch who they were aiming for, killed thousands of Afghan people, and lost a bunch of Allied soldiers too. I guess they want to sweep the memory of that under the table and go on to the next one. I wonder who's after Iraq?

oh and a side note on ricin. they found some people in London with some ricin and arrested them on terrorist charges a few weeks ago. It is pretty deadly, but you'd also need a few tons of it just to take out a small town. Nobody is going to be able to hide that much. So basically the ricin talk is probably scaremongering.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 01:20:01 PM by Butt-Jugglin Cracka Fool »

Kaidy

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 01:18:47 PM »
Oh I also want to point out that the only way they know Iraq has unaccounted for weapons is because the UK sold them to Iraq years ago (pre-gulf war). There is documented proof of this, it's not just another conspiracy theory.

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 01:23:08 PM »
I didn't see it yet, I'll watch it later and make my opinion then. I'm guessing the US has fake evidence to impress people but regardless of if it's real or not, there is going to be a war. Bush and his cronies will get it one way or another.

What I think is interesting is that nobody is talking about Afghanistan any more, I haven't heard bin Laden's name mentioned for a while. Remember that joke of a war? They didn't catch who they were aiming for, killed thousands of Afghan people, and lost a bunch of Allied soldiers too. I guess they want to sweep the memory of that under the table and go on to the next one. I wonder who's after Iraq?

oh and a side not on ricin. they found some people in London with some ricin and arrested them on terrorist charges a few weeks ago. It is pretty deadly, but you'd also need a few tons of it just to take out a small town. Nobody is going to be able to hide that much. So basically the ricin talk is probably scaremongering.

Just a question,
What would the US gain by presenting fake evidence to the world? If we wanted Iraq's oil, why haven't we already gone in and taken it?

Powell presented 3 types of evidence.
1.) Radio intercepts
2.) Collobrated sources
3.) Satelite Photos
All three put together were a pretty damning case aginst Iraq.

About ricin: with news that Al Queda may be moving twards assinations, I think the threat needs to be taken serioulsy
In 1978 it was used to assassinate Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov.
In 1991 four members of Patriots Council, an extremist group plotted to kill a US Marshal by smearing ricin mixed with the solvent (dimethylsulphate) on the handle of his vehicle in Minnesota.

Woodrow

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 01:35:45 PM »
In the course of the first biological weapons inspection in August 1991, Iraq claimed that it had merely conducted a military biological research programme. At the site visited, Al-Salman, Iraq had removed equipment, documents and even entire buildings. Later in the year, during a visit to the Al-Hakam site, Iraq declared to UNSCOM inspectors that the facility was used as a factory to produce proteins derived from yeast to feed animals. Inspectors subsequently discovered that the plant was a central site for the production of anthrax spores and botulinum toxin for weapons. The factory had also been sanitised by Iraqi officials to deceive inspectors. Iraq continued to develop the Al-Hakam site into the 1990s, misleading UNSCOM about its true purpose.

Another key site, the Foot and Mouth Disease Vaccine Institute at Dawrah which produced botulinum toxin and probably anthrax, was not divulged as part of the programme. Five years later, after intense pressure, Iraq acknowledged that tens of tonnes of bacteriological warfare agent had been produced there and at Al-Hakam.

As documents recovered in August 1995 were assessed, it became apparent that the full disclosure required by the UN was far from complete. Successive inspection teams went to Iraq to try to gain greater understanding of the programme and to obtain credible supporting evidence. In July 1996 Iraq refused to discuss it's past programme and doctrine forcing the team to withdraw in protest. Monitoring teams were at the same time finding undisclosed equipment and materials associated with the past programme. In response, Iraq grudgingly provided successive disclosures of their programme which were judged by UNSCOM, and specially convened international panels, to be technically inadequate.

In late 1995, Iraq acknowledged weapons testing the biological agent ricin, but did not provide production information. Two years later - in early 1997 - UNSCOM discovered evidence that Iraq had produced ricin.

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page6122.asp
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 01:36:10 PM by Engel-Rock AKA Dances With Bitch »

Kaidy

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 01:41:38 PM »
yea ricin is deadly, I'm just saying it would be very difficult to use it on a large scale. It's more of a poison to kill individuals like the examples you gave. Isn't Markov the guy they killed by putting ricin in the tip of an umbrella and stabbing him?

And as for the evidence, like I said, hopefully I'll see it tonight and get to make my own opinion. However to answer your Q forged evidence could be used to try and justify the war effort and avoid the severe backlash from the peace loving people of the world. Sure they could go in and take his oil, but then they'd look no better than Saddam. So that would be a reason to fake evidence (im not saying it IS fake, just a possibility).

Oh yea, don't know if they showed this in the US, but a UK politician Tony Benn, went to Iraq to interview Saddam. Anyway I saw an interview with Benn, now back in the UK, and he said he saw evidence of US officials offering Iraqi scientists to come to Cyprus to recieve money and a US passport if they would make fraudulent statements regarding the Iraq weapons program. Benn is a highly respected guy, not an ignoramic windbag like Blair, so i take his comments quite seriously.

mauzip

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 04:28:54 PM »
I think it's very clear now Iraq has weapons of mass destruction. Why would the US make up something serious like this? I'm not sure if they have to attack Iraq or not cause it would probably mean World War III, especially if they attack too fast...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2003, 10:57:55 PM »
i was watching it on and off when  was getting ready for school today, cuz my mom had it on, all ican say from what i say/heard is

whatever Powell was talking about it was WELL presented, and planned out, cuz he was on one speaking that damn LONG,lol

he musta been dry throated

he pronounced Spain, SCHPAIN,lol

there was a guy in the background picking his nose

sorry i was TIRED   when i was hearing/seeing this

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2003, 01:28:35 PM »
This speech, whether true or false was to try and sway public opinion. America is going to war, but they need to go through a few hoops first. They need the majority of the west to support them, they need to remain popular in america while doing so, and they need to try and not spit in the face of the UN whose resolutions they say they are trying to enforce. The first step is to calm down the global anti american sentiment and this was a well presented first step. However, we need to let the inspectors do their job.
Take this analogy: there has been a suspected murder. Who do you trust to investigate it? An independent team of investigators, or the victims family, who believe they know who the culprit is. While the family may be right, for any credibility to be given to the case, it must be done by an independant team. In this case, the inspectors. Whats the worst case scenario? It might somehow be discovered there is no wmd and then you wont have to sacrifice thousands of your own good men.

I am all in favour of disarming Iraq. But I think if we are to look at Bush as a true diplomat, we must expect him to lay down his own wmd, if only for the sake of not being a hypocrit.
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

Woodrow

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2003, 04:57:44 PM »
However, we need to let the inspectors do their job.

I really don't understand this view. We have let them do their job. They have uncovered empty shells, sensitive documents, and Iraq non-cooporatin... The thing is, why should we let them do their job when Powell clearly showed yesterday that Iraq is doing everything in it's power to stop them from doing their job? He showed huge Trucks taking away items from a chemical plant. He showed a series of bunkers that were destroyed and sanatized days before the inspectors arrived. He told  about an Iraqi Nuclear scientist who wasn't listed on Iraq's "Complete" weapons decleration, but had hundreds of pages of sensitive documents.

Here are some quotes. They make perfect sense to me:

"This Council placed the burden on Iraq to comply and disarm, and not on the inspectors to find that which Iraq has gone out of its way to conceal for so long. Inspectors are inspectors; they are not detectives."

"This effort to hide things from the inspectors is not one or two isolated events. Quite the contrary, this is part and parcel of a policy of evasion and deception that goes back 12 years, a policy set at the highest levels of the Iraqi regime."

"We know that Saddam Hussein has what is called "a Higher Committee for Monitoring the Inspection Teams." Think about that. Iraq has a high-level committee to monitor the inspectors who were sent in to monitor Iraq's disarmament -- not to cooperate with them, not to assist them, but to spy on them and keep them from doing their jobs"

"Everything we have seen and heard indicates that instead of cooperating actively with the inspectors to ensure the success of their mission, Saddam Hussein and his regime are busy doing all they possibly can to ensure that inspectors succeed in finding absolutely nothing"

"Are the inspectors to search the house of every government official, every Baath Party member and every scientist in the country to find the truth, to get the information they need, to satisfy the demands of our Council?"

"Our sources tell us that in some cases the hard drives of computers at Iraqi weapons facilities were replaced. Who took the hard drives? Where did they go? What is being hidden? Why? There is only one answer to the why: to deceive, to hide, to keep from the inspectors."

"From our sources, we know that inspectors are under constant surveillance by an army of Iraqi intelligence operatives. Iraq is relentlessly attempting to tap all of their communications, both voice and electronics."

"At this biological weapons-related facility on November 25, just 2 days before inspections resumed, this truck caravan appeared -- something we almost never see at this facility and we monitor it carefully and regularly. At this ballistic missile facility, again, 2 days before inspections began, five large cargo trucks appeared, along with a truck-mounted crane, to move missiles. We saw this kind of housecleaning at close to 30 sites. Days after this activity, the vehicles and the equipment that I've just highlighted disappear and the site returns to patterns of normalcy. We don't know precisely what Iraq was moving, but the inspectors already knew about these sites so Iraq knew that they would be coming. We must ask ourselves: Why would Iraq suddenly move equipment of this nature before inspections if they were anxious to demonstrate what they had or did not have?"

"We know that Iraq has embedded key portions of its illicit chemical weapons infrastructure within its legitimate civilian industry. To all outward appearances, even to experts, the infrastructure looks like an ordinary civilian operation. Illicit and legitimate production can go on simultaneously or on a dime. This dual-use infrastructure can turn from clandestine to commercial and then back again. These inspections would be unlikely, any inspections at such facilities, would be unlikely to turn up anything prohibited, especially if there is any warning that the inspections are coming. Call it ingenious or evil genius, but the Iraqis deliberately designed their chemical weapons programs to be inspected. It is infrastructure with a built in alibi. Under the guise of dual-use infrastructure, Iraq has undertaken an effort to reconstitute facilities that were closely associated with its past program to develop and produce chemical weapons. For example, Iraq has rebuilt key portions of the Tariq State Establishment. Tariq includes facilities designed specifically for Iraq's chemical weapons program and employs key figures from past programs."

I urge you to read the whole report here:

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/17300.htm