Author Topic: Hip hop peaked in the mid 90s  (Read 1942 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: Hip hop peaked in the mid 90s
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
the same muthafuckas on this thread is the same muthafuckas goin' to buy nicki, ross,wayne,etc. if muthafuckas didn't buy and support that wack shit the label would drop em and sign somethin' official. this shit ain't peakin' because all the idiots are co signin' this shit. there was a time when u could hear big l and o.c. on the radio and puff at the same time. now it's watered down like a muthafucka. the bitch nicki had 10 million followers on twitter !?!?!?!?!?! shit's crazy.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
1983 hit me wit a text.  It said somethin about give it it's draws back!

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
Hip Hop peaked in the early-mid 2000s, after Luda/DTP, 50 Cent/G Unit, The Game (After The Documentary) & The Diplomats (After Diplomatic Immunity 2 or More The Music) started losing steam.  Hip Hop was at its best from 91-99, but I think it was still actually pretty good up until around 2004/2005.

Bang on.
Agreed. After 2006 I started losing interest in the new music that was coming out.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:13:28 PM by Teddy Roosevelt »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
U were too young to understand then

No you were the youngin back then. It's one of those bad songs that you like from your childhood because back then you were entertained by the simplest of things.

Yes and No.  I've always had an ear for good music so I've always been really quick to separate the dumb shit from the wack.  Back in the days 98-06 I always knew who to look for and what was hot and what wasn't.  In middle school EVERYBODY loved Lil Bow Wow, I hated it.  

But my case is a little different from most peoples, I've been making mixtapes since I was like 10-11 years old, if it's not hot then it ain't me.  But on the contrary I understand clearly why people love and hate shit I adore or find grotesque.

Bottom line being, this is a prime example of why Blacks shouldn't be letting everybody else write the history books [i definitely respect opo though].  Scroll back a year or two in this section, you'll find a few things you've forgotten about that make hlu remember again.  And not just here but other places too.  Time seems to be going by so fast but it's really not.  Hip Hop today is missing a few things but not what everybody else on the blogs and the frontline is talking about and it's not neccessarily what u think it is.  A lot of what it is is the way it's being presented and how quick alotta tha OGs and BGs are to talk about Money...a few rappers excluded.  Along with more melodic not neccessarily but definitely included instrumentals.  

You don't want blacks to let others write the history books? Then why do you support the fads that white businessmen push onto you? Shit, 2 years ago that was all you were posting about.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
the same muthafuckas on this thread is the same muthafuckas goin' to buy nicki, ross,wayne,etc. if muthafuckas didn't buy and support that wack shit the label would drop em and sign somethin' official. this shit ain't peakin' because all the idiots are co signin' this shit. there was a time when u could hear big l and o.c. on the radio and puff at the same time. now it's watered down like a muthafucka. the bitch nicki had 10 million followers on twitter !?!?!?!?!?! shit's crazy.

I'd almost put five hundred dollars that nobody from this website went out & bought "Tha Carter III" or "Pink Friday". Music changes, get over it.

You enjoy the music, right? What the fuck do you care what sells? What gets pushed? & you're a hypocrite yourself because you supported T.I.'s music when he had singles like "Whatever You Like". Shit like that doing good is the reason why labels changed direction from the Tupac/Biggie sound to what we have. But at the end of the day, if you fuck with underground artists & love their music. Why do you need them to sell 10 million copies?

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »

No you were the youngin back then. It's one of those bad songs that you like from your childhood because back then you were entertained by the simplest of things.

Yes and No.  I've always had an ear for good music so I've always been really quick to separate the dumb shit from the wack.  Back in the days 98-06 I always knew who to look for and what was hot and what wasn't.  In middle school EVERYBODY loved Lil Bow Wow, I hated it.  

But my case is a little different from most peoples, I've been making mixtapes since I was like 10-11 years old, if it's not hot then it ain't me.  But on the contrary I understand clearly why people love and hate shit I adore or find grotesque.

Bottom line being, this is a prime example of why Blacks shouldn't be letting everybody else write the history books [i definitely respect opo though].  Scroll back a year or two in this section, you'll find a few things you've forgotten about that make hlu remember again.  And not just here but other places too.  Time seems to be going by so fast but it's really not.  Hip Hop today is missing a few things but not what everybody else on the blogs and the frontline is talking about and it's not neccessarily what u think it is.  A lot of what it is is the way it's being presented and how quick alotta tha OGs and BGs are to talk about Money...a few rappers excluded.  Along with more melodic not neccessarily but definitely included instrumentals.  

You don't want blacks to let others write the history books? Then why do you support the fads that white businessmen push onto you? Shit, 2 years ago that was all you were posting about.

LOL.  Who do you think invented the dougie, or the (fill in the blank with a fad hip hop dance/saying)?  Not some exec.  Yeah they push it but cmon.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »

LOL.  Who do you think invented the dougie, or the (fill in the blank with a fad hip hop dance/saying)?  Not some exec.  Yeah they push it but cmon.

They aren't creating it, but they are getting to pick and choose what type of music floods the airwaves.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »
But at the end of the day, if you fuck with underground artists & love their music. Why do you need them to sell 10 million copies?

It would be nice to not have to hang out at forums to talk to people about music.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
But at the end of the day, if you fuck with underground artists & love their music. Why do you need them to sell 10 million copies?

It would be nice to not have to hang out at forums to talk to people about music.

It still has no relation to the state of Hip Hop. Plenty of good music out there.

Plus, a lot of those underground acts couldn't hold it down as the face of the genre. A lot of them have a similar sound. Yeah, most of them have dope flows & lyrics. But take the big names; Lil' Wayne, Eminem, Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z. You know what they all have in common? They have unique sounds. A unique style about them. Sure, adapted from others, but it's done in a way that makes them stand out. Even their personalities sell. It's just not fair in the game.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »

It still has no relation to the state of Hip Hop. Plenty of good music out there.

Plus, a lot of those underground acts couldn't hold it down as the face of the genre. A lot of them have a similar sound. Yeah, most of them have dope flows & lyrics. But take the big names; Lil' Wayne, Eminem, Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z. You know what they all have in common? They have unique sounds. A unique style about them. Sure, adapted from others, but it's done in a way that makes them stand out. Even their personalities sell. It's just not fair in the game.

Completely disagree. Mainstream hip hop is pretty much the definition of a "similar sound." There's always one sound that's hot and has everyone trying to sound like that. And aside from Lil Wayne and Drake, aren't you naming the rappers that everyone respects? How do you explain all the other generic rappers with boring personalities that get churned out of the machine? If Rick Ross can be a force in hip hop, then really any rapper can.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »
^"Ugh". That basically sums it up.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
If Rick Ross can be a force in hip hop, then really any rapper can.

right.....just ask this guy:

midwestryder

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
OG Rapsodie is right that no one gives a fuck about Get Low or lil Jon anymore.  the truth is Dude is the definition of flash in the pan. Son came through with one sound that was hot for a second until people got bored of it. He will never be a great producer or a legend.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »

I'd almost put five hundred dollars that nobody from this website went out & bought "Tha Carter III" or "Pink Friday". Music changes, get over it.

You enjoy the music, right? What the fuck do you care what sells? What gets pushed? & you're a hypocrite yourself because you supported T.I.'s music when he had singles like "Whatever You Like". Shit like that doing good is the reason why labels changed direction from the Tupac/Biggie sound to what we have. But at the end of the day, if you fuck with underground artists & love their music. Why do you need them to sell 10 million copies?
i support tip's music because i have since trap muzik and that won't change. t.i.'s made song for the bitches since i'm serious and lyrically he is a force in hip hop whether YOU like it or not. dude's on his 8th album and still dope as ever...he doin' somethin' right.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

i support tip's music because i have since trap muzik and that won't change. t.i.'s made song for the bitches since i'm serious and lyrically he is a force in hip hop whether YOU like it or not. dude's on his 8th album and still dope as ever...he doin' somethin' right.
say what u want about t.i. i'll put him up against any of your favorite emcees any day. and the underground don't need the radio dummy. a lot of them is eating better than some niggas on a major. the labels push bulllshit because shit for brains muthafuckas like you wanna hear it. if muthafuckas want quality shit stop supporting the wack shit.