Author Topic: Hip hop peaked in the mid 90s  (Read 1941 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Hip hop peaked in the mid 90s
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:59 PM »
I don't get it. I'm saying that it doesn't matter because I'm going to listen to Slaughterhouse & Quest & non-mainstream guys anyway. They don't need to go triple-platinum for me think any different of them.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2012, 11:41:09 PM »
Execs pedal what people will be willing to buy.  If anything, the buying public needs to stop supporting crap and the crap will be less prevalent.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »
You are more likely to buy the music you hear every day aka what's pumping out the radio. Not all of the population is going to go out of their way to search for new music online. And even those that do like us, at best we listen to a song once and have to decide whether we like it enough to keep it after one listen. Versus hearing it play over and over again and getting the tune stuck in your head.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
You are more likely to buy the music you hear every day aka what's pumping out the radio. Not all of the population is going to go out of their way to search for new music online. And even those that do like us, at best we listen to a song once and have to decide whether we like it enough to keep it after one listen. Versus hearing it play over and over again and getting the tune stuck in your head.

This is a chicken/egg question. 

Bottom line is if people would have better taste we'd all benefit.  Which yes, would take initiative and thought on the part of customers.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »

Bottom line is if people would have better taste we'd all benefit.  Which yes, would take initiative and thought on the part of customers.

The reality is people have the taste of what is fed to them. Take today's mainstream hip hop audience and plop them in the 80s or 90s, they'd still love whatever's hot. You can't like a type of music you aren't exposed to.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:28 AM »

The reality is people have the taste of what is fed to them. Take today's mainstream hip hop audience and plop them in the 80s or 90s, they'd still love whatever's hot. You can't like a type of music you aren't exposed to.

Of course you cant like music you arent exposed to.  But how you are exposed to music is up to the listener.  For example, will you sit and watch mtv, or fuse tv, or vh1, or vh1 classic, or youtube or the radio, or go to a record shop, or scower the internet.  Everyone has choices.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:41:24 AM by Russell Bell »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »

Bottom line is if people would have better taste we'd all benefit.  Which yes, would take initiative and thought on the part of customers.

Of course you cant like music you arent exposed to.  But how you are exposed to music is up to the listener.  For example, will you sit and watch mtv, or fuse tv, or vh1, or vh1 classic, or youtube or the radio, or go to a record shop, or scower the internet.  Everyone has choices.

It's not really up to the listener. I don't pursue commercial music, yet I'm still exposed to all the biggest songs. Whether walking through a mall or going to club or really doing anything outside my house. It's impossible to avoid. Some of these songs I don't even like at first, yet hearing it over and over again makes it catchy and it sticks in my head. Now compare that to an artist or band not being pushed by a major label. First I have to hear about the artist from some source, whether by on a forum or skimming through music blogs. Then I have to seek the music out on my own and a lot of times download it illegally before I get a chance to hear it. Now add onto that the fact the music has to make an immediate impression for me to keep listening to it, or I'll move onto something else. The level of exposure is like comparing night and day.

You know the classic records that we rave about and wax nostalgic? If those albums had never been pushed by a major, we wouldn't even be talking about them. That's how big an influence the media has. If you looked into the history behind some of our biggest singles, you'll read stories about how a lot of these songs were put out and went ignored for years, until one random dude at a radio station decided to add it to his playlist. I don't think that kind of situation is even possible anymore, since djs have no freedom anymore and everyone is given the same playlist. It makes you wonder what type of songs missed the chance to be a part of history because they were never heard.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:29:25 PM by BG Rapsodie »

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Well then you are proving my point.  If you like what you hear, then people who push this music have successfully marketed their product to someone who would buy and or like it.  If someone doesnt like something, then hearing it over and over shouldnt make you like it more, if anything, it should make you dislike it even more.  That is if said person can think for him/herself.  Of course theres a section of people (kids, dumb adults) who are gonna like whatever you put on their plate all the time, but thats not the majority of people.  People like what they like.

And as for the old stuff we all like, that was a completely different time.  There was no internet, music blogs, napster, kazaa, torrents, mp3 downloading, rapidshare.  Your point would work like 15 yrs ago, but not now.  The main difference:  choice and avenues to get that choice.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
Well then you are proving my point.  If you like what you hear, then people who push this music have successfully marketed their product to someone who would buy and or like it.  If someone doesnt like something, then hearing it over and over shouldnt make you like it more, if anything, it should make you dislike it even more.

Wrong. People change opinion all the time. Hence the phrase "It grows on you." People can and are brainwashed by what they are exposed to.

The internet may be all good, but putting a song online isn't exposure when there's millions of songs online. How many people are you reaching by putting a file up on rapidshare? Nothing in comparison to a song getting a couple few on the radio. You're blind if you think the level of exposure is even remotely the same.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:49:25 PM by BG Rapsodie »

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
Well then you are proving my point.  If you like what you hear, then people who push this music have successfully marketed their product to someone who would buy and or like it.  If someone doesnt like something, then hearing it over and over shouldnt make you like it more, if anything, it should make you dislike it even more.

Wrong. People change opinion all the time. Hence the phrase "It grows on you." People can and are brainwashed by what they are exposed to.

The internet may be all good, but putting a song online isn't exposure when there's millions of songs online. How many people are you reaching by putting a file up on rapidshare? Nothing in comparison to a song getting a couple few on the radio. You're blind if you think the level of exposure is even remotely the same.

I highly doubt that just because i hear a lady gaga song i clearly dislike at the gym, at some club, and in someones car on the radio that it will "grow on me".  Then again, i do not have applesauce-like mush for a brain. 

But, people like this kind of music so it sells.  Therefore, executives dish it out.  Theres no actual hypnotic qualities in the bitch's music that force people to buy it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:00:25 PM by Russell Bell »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
Well then you are proving my point.  If you like what you hear, then people who push this music have successfully marketed their product to someone who would buy and or like it.  If someone doesnt like something, then hearing it over and over shouldnt make you like it more, if anything, it should make you dislike it even more.

I highly doubt that just because i hear a lady gaga song i clearly dislike at the gym, at some club, and in someones car on the radio that it will "grow on me".  Then again, i do not have applesauce-like mush for a brain. 

But, people like this kind of music so it sells.  Therefore, executives dish it out.  Theres no actual hypnotic qualities in the bitch's music that force people to buy it.

People like this music because its what they're exposed to. It's a psychological response. If you can't understand that then read up on the subject. I know there's several books written about it.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »
Isn't "Ice, Ice, Baby" & "Hammer Time" two of the top selling songs the genre has ever had? And niggas wanna act like it's worse than imaginable now. It's just a different style most of you thirty year olds can't vibe with.

To swag like "Tupac", you could be 15, you could 43. To swag like Kanye or Drake you can't be over the age of 22.

rayallen0

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
people will always hate on present hip hop. this year has had releases from Big K.R.I.T., THEESatisfaction, ScHoolboy Q, Quakers, Brother Ali, Action Bronson, Gangrene, Wiz Khalifa, Saigon, Rick Ross, T.I., Reks, Homeboy Sandman & Chip That Ripper and its not even May. No idea how that can be a bad year in hip hop.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »
people will always hate on present hip hop. this year has had releases from Big K.R.I.T., THEESatisfaction, ScHoolboy Q, Quakers, Brother Ali, Action Bronson, Gangrene, Wiz Khalifa, Saigon, Rick Ross, T.I., Reks, Homeboy Sandman & Chip That Ripper and its not even May. No idea how that can be a bad year in hip hop.
there's gonna be some amazing releases this year !!!!!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2012, 12:00:25 AM »

People like this music because its what they're exposed to. It's a psychological response. If you can't understand that then read up on the subject. I know there's several books written about it.

Is it not someones choice when they choose to listen to the radio and watch video channels that play only the same kind of stuff?  Of course it is.