Author Topic: Hip hop peaked in the mid 90s  (Read 1945 times)

Cavvy

Re: Hip hop peaked in the mid 90s
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2012, 03:18:58 AM »
Im coming off as a sentimentalist, but damn take a listen to this joint
you can feel the hunger in every bar, these guys kinda vanished but everything they were involved in at that point sounded vital

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
Well then you are proving my point.  If you like what you hear, then people who push this music have successfully marketed their product to someone who would buy and or like it.  If someone doesnt like something, then hearing it over and over shouldnt make you like it more, if anything, it should make you dislike it even more.

Wrong. People change opinion all the time. Hence the phrase "It grows on you." People can and are brainwashed by what they are exposed to.

The internet may be all good, but putting a song online isn't exposure when there's millions of songs online. How many people are you reaching by putting a file up on rapidshare? Nothing in comparison to a song getting a couple few on the radio. You're blind if you think the level of exposure is even remotely the same.

I highly doubt that just because i hear a lady gaga song i clearly dislike at the gym, at some club, and in someones car on the radio that it will "grow on me".  Then again, i do not have applesauce-like mush for a brain.  

But, people like this kind of music so it sells.  Therefore, executives dish it out.  Theres no actual hypnotic qualities in the bitch's music that force people to buy it.

People like this music because its what they're exposed to. It's a psychological response. If you can't understand that then read up on the subject. I know there's several books written about it.

Is it not someones choice when they choose to listen to the radio and watch video channels that play only the same kind of stuff?  Of course it is.

The radio and television are the designated ways to hear and view media. When those are being controlled, it obviously has an effect. If there's nothing but fast food in my city, and the closest place to eat healthier is a 40 minute drive, is it my choice to mostly eat bad food? Well, I guess technically yes, but its silly to deny its an unfair playing field. People can be and are constantly manipulated. One of the ways to manipulate people is to inconvenience them. Beyond that there's an entire psychology behind the music industry..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:21:54 PM by BG Rapsodie »

bouli77

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »
Beyond that there's an entire psychology behind the music industry..

no doubt and not only behind the music industry but behind every industry there is.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
Well then you are proving my point.  If you like what you hear, then people who push this music have successfully marketed their product to someone who would buy and or like it.  If someone doesnt like something, then hearing it over and over shouldnt make you like it more, if anything, it should make you dislike it even more.

Wrong. People change opinion all the time. Hence the phrase "It grows on you." People can and are brainwashed by what they are exposed to.

The internet may be all good, but putting a song online isn't exposure when there's millions of songs online. How many people are you reaching by putting a file up on rapidshare? Nothing in comparison to a song getting a couple few on the radio. You're blind if you think the level of exposure is even remotely the same.

I highly doubt that just because i hear a lady gaga song i clearly dislike at the gym, at some club, and in someones car on the radio that it will "grow on me".  Then again, i do not have applesauce-like mush for a brain.  

But, people like this kind of music so it sells.  Therefore, executives dish it out.  Theres no actual hypnotic qualities in the bitch's music that force people to buy it.

People like this music because its what they're exposed to. It's a psychological response. If you can't understand that then read up on the subject. I know there's several books written about it.

Is it not someones choice when they choose to listen to the radio and watch video channels that play only the same kind of stuff?  Of course it is.

The radio and television are the designated ways to hear and view media. When those are being controlled, it obviously has an effect. If there's nothing but fast food in my city, and the closest place to eat healthier is a 40 minute drive, is it my choice to mostly eat bad food? Well, I guess technically yes, but its silly to deny its an unfair playing field. People can be and are constantly manipulated. One of the ways to manipulate people is to inconvenience them. Beyond that there's an entire psychology behind the music industry..

Well of course it has an effect.  It has an effect on the people who choose to listen to it.  There is no physical barrier on music, illustrated by the fact that people from sweden and russia are here on this site listening to music that doesnt come close to relating or coming into their relm of living, they choose to expose themselves to it because they enjoy it.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2012, 01:11:23 AM »

Well of course it has an effect.  It has an effect on the people who choose to listen to it.  There is no physical barrier on music, illustrated by the fact that people from sweden and russia are here on this site listening to music that doesnt come close to relating or coming into their relm of living, they choose to expose themselves to it because they enjoy it.

You ignored my analogy and follow-up completely. Let me reiterate. If there's nothing but fast food in my city, and the closest place to eat healthier is a 40 minute drive, is it my choice to mostly eat bad food? Well, I guess technically yes, but its silly to deny its an unfair playing field. Just like the mainstream media pushing one type of music is going to make that music the most popular. Bringing up the euros on this site doesn't counter that point at all.

You clearly believe in media influence in other situations, so its kinda strange you're trying to swing the other way in this discussion.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
Sure i adressed your analogy.  Even you acknowledged that, read your post you just wrote.

Ive just said people have a choice, which they do.  And that the music execs sell what people want to buy.  LOL have you never taken an economics class or what.  The euro thing is just one piece that proves what im saying.  The market couldnt be more unrestriced when it comes to music even though you think the public is brainwashed, you as a consumer can literally steal/buy anything you want and have endless music access to whatever you want.  Evil music execs' power does not hold what it once did, as evidenced, again, by you, me, and most of the people on here (euros and non euros included). 

And bringing politics into a discussion essentially about markets and consumers isnt really comparable with beliefs about media political manipulation.  Thats a whole other issue.  The media generally fall onto one of two sides in a case like say, the zimmerman case.  Comparing that to music is like saying people only can buy lady gaga or lil wayne albums. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
You keep going back to choice, which I've already addressed. Did you not get the analogy? You, me and the euros are a tiny subset out of the population, the ones with enough time and dedication to go through all the hurdles of inconvenience placed before us.

How is politics not a similar example? Both politics and music are given to you through the exact same form of media. I could make the exact same argument and say stop complaining about what the media does, because you have the choice to form your own political opinion. If MTV is playing the music we want to hear, then us media is giving us the news we want to read about.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »
You keep going back to choice, which I've already addressed. Did you not get the analogy? You, me and the euros are a tiny subset out of the population, the ones with enough time and dedication to go through all the hurdles of inconvenience placed before us.

How is politics not a similar example? Both politics and music are given to you through the exact same form of media. I could make the exact same argument and say stop complaining about what the media does, because you have the choice to form your own political opinion. If MTV is playing the music we want to hear, then us media is giving us the news we want to read about.

LOL yeah i keep going back to choice, you act like you disproved it or something.  So is this tiny subset some kind of intellectual annomaly?  No.  Everyone has choice.  Even the people who watch mtv, which is why they watch it.  They dont have to.  I know personal responsibility is against your beliefs but cmon already.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:03:29 PM by Russell Bell »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »

LOL yeah i keep going back to choice, you act like you disproved it or something.  So is this tiny subset some kind of intellectual annomaly?  No.  Everyone has choice.  Even the people who watch mtv, which is why they watch it.  They dont have to.  I know personal responsibility is against your beliefs but cmon already.

You realize this statement voids like half of your posts in ToT?

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »

Again, theyre different just because they both can reach you through the same physical medium means nothing and doesnt prove what youre saying in the least

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »

Again, theyre different just because they both can reach you through the same physical medium means nothing and doesnt prove what youre saying in the least

Why on earth not? It's not just the same medium, its the same force at work. People in masses are exploitable, and for some reason you think that's only the case when it comes to politics. Really? You truly believe people's political beliefs are more easily shaped than their music opinion? I don't think you believe that. I think you're just trying to win an argument rather than be consistent.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »

Why on earth not? It's not just the same medium, its the same force at work. People in masses are exploitable, and for some reason you think that's only the case when it comes to politics. Really? You truly believe people's political beliefs are more easily shaped than their music opinion? I don't think you believe that. I think you're just trying to win an argument rather than be consistent.

I think people go with their gut on stuff like politics without a whole lot of thought, which is why tv personalities who dont really look at things in a critical way like hannity and maddow are very popular with their audiences. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »

I think people go with their gut on stuff like politics without a whole lot of thought, which is why tv personalities who dont really look at things in a critical way like hannity and maddow are very popular with their audiences. 

Someone's political ideals are going to be way more important to them than the background sounds they like to listen to.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2012, 07:17:21 AM »

Someone's political ideals are going to be way more important to them than the background sounds they like to listen to.

Ask someone on the street about who won american idol last yr and then ask them who the vice president is.  Exactly.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »

Ask someone on the street about who won american idol last yr and then ask them who the vice president is.  Exactly.

They'd tell you they don't remember who won idol, and the VP is either Biden or that white guy next to Obama.