Author Topic: Your Favorite Dogg Pound Album Besides Dogg Food?  (Read 1394 times)

Lunatic

Your Favorite Dogg Pound Album Besides Dogg Food?
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
I'm sure this thread has been done a million times but fuck it, Imma toss it out one more time since I bumped a bunch of DPG today (the 3 albums I'm discussing).

I'm not really counting 2002 or Tha Last of Tha Pound either since neither was official

To me though, this is a pretty tough decision honestly.

"Dillinger & Gotti" was such a dope album with Mike Dean's heavy involvement. It gave the production a whole new sound for real. Not too many tracks stand out though, it's just dope as a collective.

"Dillinger & Gotti II" was good too, it was nice to have them back together. Tracks like "DPGC Muzic", "What U Gone Do" and "Push Bacc" are head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

And of course, "Cali Iz Active" was a really nice record that brought DPG some attention beyond the usual fanbase. The single had great promo and the video was so dope to see with such unity. To have Battlecat, Soopafly, LT Moe, Lady of Rage & RBX repping the west coast was dope, and then a little beyond that with David Banner, Swizz Beats, Paul Wall, Bangladesh, Jazze Pha & Diddy. But my favorite tracks were definitely the west coast flavored ones.

With all that said, I guess I can't even answer my own question lol, even after listening to those 3 albums just now back to back to back.

What's your favorite DPG album besides Dogg Food?

Sidenote:

Dogg Chit was pretty damn dope too. That had some nice promo too, with the "Vibe" video being on 106 and what not. I'm not sure if I'd rank it up there with these 3 releases, but I just may do that with another listen later tonight.

I didn't really bump "That Was Then, This Is Now" or "100 Wayz" enough, but I will do that soon.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:06:53 PM by Lunatic »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

Re: Your Favorite Dogg Pound Album Besides Dogg Food?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
i like dogg chit a lot

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:18:26 PM »
I listened to Dillinger & Young Gotti the other day for the first time in about 6-7 years. It really is a solid album with some filler. Kurupt really carried Daz throughout that entire album, although Daz had the better solo song (Here We Are). Dogg Chit was pretty cool too but when you compare it to the trash they released before/after it, its not hard to have a standout album when thats the competition.

Its a shame those 2 are so done. I really thought one day they'd pick it back up, kinda how Mobb Deep is doing right now. But unfortunately, the Dogg Pound is DONE. I honestly don't even bother downloading their new shit anymore.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
I listened to Dillinger & Young Gotti the other day for the first time in about 6-7 years. It really is a solid album with some filler. Kurupt really carried Daz throughout that entire album, although Daz had the better solo song (Here We Are). Dogg Chit was pretty cool too but when you compare it to the trash they released before/after it, its not hard to have a standout album when thats the competition.

Its a shame those 2 are so done. I really thought one day they'd pick it back up, kinda how Mobb Deep is doing right now. But unfortunately, the Dogg Pound is DONE. I honestly don't even bother downloading their new shit anymore.
Yea, Dillinger & Gotti is just a solid album all around like I said. Hard to pick stand out tracks on here.

Dogg Chit was pretty dope based off memory and not that long ago, so I think it's kind of unfair to say they're all trash nowadays.

I'm curious to hear the new mixtape.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
fogg dood

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
dillinger and young gotti

Cavvy

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
while it was an enormous letdown Cali Iz active is probably my next favorite

Dogg Chit was solid but felt like a step back, regurgitating the past and offering little innovation or authenticity

Really though for a longtime duo they have a pretty shitty catologue,even Dogg Food was a disappointment when released, in places like here its probably a classic but the reality is heads were expecting much more from them.
In 92 folks were expecting Kurupt to become something special. In 2012 we just hope he doesnt embarass himself with his next track

TidyKris

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
Im voting for 2002, it had all Dogg Pound tracks on it and was released on Deathrow so to me its offical lol!

But to be honest ive never really listned to alot of new rap music since 2002 so ive not heard any of the later DPG albums.

Kurrupt & Young Gotta was a decent album although i find myself only listning to around 4 or 5 tracks from it. I really like "Coastin", its kind of a weak
track Dog Pound wise but i like the beat and think they both flow well on it

bouli77

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:12:21 AM »
Dillinger & Young Gotti and it's not even close for me...

mostly Death Row/DPG records material reworked by Daz, Mike Dean & Blaqthoven. can't go wrong. very good production. cohesive sound from start to finish. scarce but dope features (Slip Capone, Beanie Sigel, Xzibit, Roscoe). all types of vibes (party tracks, street tracks, g-funk tracks, "inspirational" type songs, uptempo, sex songs lol).

the chemistry between Daz & Kurupt on the mic is as good as it gets, on songs like "coastin'", "we about to get fucc'd up", "u just a B.I.T.C.H.", "there's someway out", "how many", and Daz is actually pretty good on most songs. i like especially his verse on "we livin gangsta like", "best run", "at night", "shit happens", "my heart don't pump no fear".

Dogg Food & Dilli & Gotti are the only two DPG albums worth checkin from start to finish. the rest is pretty much hit or miss, or sounds forced. Dilli & Gotti is material when they still sounded fresh since most of the material originally comes from the death row era.

i don't think Dilli & Gotti is that far from Dogg Food. Dogg Food is an indisputed classic because of Dre's involvement, and the fact that it was released during Death Row's heyday, while Dilli & Gotti was released independently so people didn't pay attention as much (it still sold something like 200k i think) but music wise it's very dope.

doggfather

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:24:07 AM »
cali iz active and i really like dogg chit and tha dillinger and young gotti albums
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
even Dogg Food was a disappointment when released, in places like here its probably a classic but the reality is heads were expecting much more from them.

lmao

Cavvy

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:35:37 AM »
even Dogg Food was a disappointment when released, in places like here its probably a classic but the reality is heads were expecting much more from them.

lmao

what?

HighEyeCue

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 07:29:20 AM »
Dogg Food got bad reviews when it was released, but so did Doggystyle

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
Dillinger & Young Gotti

It just had a lot of new production not just from Daz but also with Mike Dean's added touch, it was just an all new sound for them.  I'm pissed that I accidentally broke the CD itself maybe 9-10 years ago.  I really liked the beats of that one song with Beanie Sigel and also How Many.