Author Topic: Your Favorite Dogg Pound Album Besides Dogg Food?  (Read 1400 times)

Sccit

Re: Your Favorite Dogg Pound Album Besides Dogg Food?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »
while it was an enormous letdown Cali Iz active is probably my next favorite

Dogg Chit was solid but felt like a step back, regurgitating the past and offering little innovation or authenticity

Really though for a longtime duo they have a pretty shitty catologue,even Dogg Food was a disappointment when released, in places like here its probably a classic but the reality is heads were expecting much more from them.
In 92 folks were expecting Kurupt to become something special. In 2012 we just hope he doesnt embarass himself with his next track

You're joking, right?

The reality about that album is it was the #1 album in the country. "Let's Play House" and "New York, New York" were all over MTV at the time. Plus it got favorable reviews and went double platinum.

...and is a top 5 west coast CD of all time.

no, not even close.

name 5 west coast albums better than "dogg food"

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

Dogg Chit was solid but felt like a step back, regurgitating the past and offering little innovation or authenticity

Really though for a longtime duo they have a pretty shitty catologue,even Dogg Food was a disappointment when released, in places like here its probably a classic but the reality is heads were expecting much more from them.
In 92 folks were expecting Kurupt to become something special. In 2012 we just hope he doesnt embarass himself with his next track

You're joking, right?

The reality about that album is it was the #1 album in the country. "Let's Play House" and "New York, New York" were all over MTV at the time. Plus it got favorable reviews and went double platinum.

no, not even close.

all eyez on me
makaveli
chronic
doggysyle
safe + sound

check mate  8)

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »

You're joking, right?

no, not even close.

all eyez on me
makaveli
chronic
doggysyle
safe + sound

check mate  8)

chronic, doggystyle, and makaveli are the only ones i would say that could be considered better from that list..

Okka

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
I gotta go with the first "Dillinger & Young Gotti", i love the second one too though.

bouli77

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
I'm very confused as too why people are writing off Dogg Chit due to "a step back" and offers "little innovation." No offense, but some of y'all are talking as if DPG is like Talib Kweli or something LOL. Since when was THAT a step back from there usual subject matter of pussy, weed and gang banging? And I'm not saying that as a diss, I love DPG and if I'm listening to them, it's not because I wanna hear some "innovation."

You know what you get when you listen to DPG, and Dogg Chit was them doing that as close to their best as possible nowadays.

with DIlli & Gotti they came with an updated sound, but still sounded like they were in their prime. that was in 01 when westcoast artists were still semi-relevant in the wake of Dre's 2001. 99-01 was like the second golden age for dpgc, when they dropped quality music in good quantity (Tha Streetz, R.A.W., Tha Eastsidaz, Deuces N Trayz, Space Boogie, Dilli & Gotti. they sounded hungry and sincere.

Dogg Chit has some very good production, but it came out in 07 and the way I see their state of mind when making this album (and subsequent releases) is "well we're running out of ideas, we're past our prime and we can't evolve sonically and lyrically, but we still gotta get paid so let's do an album about the same old things"... the thing is when i listen to this album it doesn't come across as sincere, the beats are decent, or good, or even very good but it sounds like their heart are not in it anymore, they just do their routine with no intention to update their formulas, and in the end , it's just boring and sounds forced. and tbh it's always been this way since they reunited pretty much, the only outstanding Dogg Pound songs where they sounded really fresh after they got back together was Push Bacc, the energy is crazy, and Money on my Mind, this song is a masterpiece in terms of production (scott storch), and chemistry between the two. other than that, i don't know. and that's what I loved about Public Enemies, Daz came with a different sound with that album, it's still g-funk but it's updated and it sounds legit. whereas D.A.Z. have very good production as well but it sounds cliché and forced.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

You're joking, right?

no, not even close.

all eyez on me
makaveli
chronic
doggysyle
safe + sound

check mate  8)

chronic, doggystyle, and makaveli are the only ones i would say that could be considered better from that list..

i dunno how u could like dogg food over all eyez on me but hey to each his own

AEOM disc 1 is probably equal to dogg food, but then Pac gave us a whole 2nd cd of more classics.  sealed the deal to me

and i just love that DJ quik production on safe...

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
"All Eyez on Me" is a classic, but it isn't as consistent as "Dogg Food"...if it was narrowed down to 1 disc, it probably woulda been on the same level, though.

Cavvy

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

You're joking, right?

no, not even close.

bust at the moment
but later on Ill list 15

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
2002 EASILY

it has

every single day
don't stop with 2pac
gangsta rap with crooked
change the game remix with jigga

4 classics

gangsta rap is not a classic, let alone change the game remix. it was nice to hear the Pound with Jay-Z but the song wasn't a classic, it was good for what it was, a nice little remix.

2002 has too many recycled songs (Way Too Often, Feels Good, It's All About That Money, Your Gyrlfriend 2) and unfinished songs (Livin Tha Gangsta Life)... it has classics (every single day, roll wit us, just doggin remix, don't stop) and very good songs (smoke, whatcha about, 10 til midnight) but it clearly lacks consistency and cohesiveness... it's more of a compilation. just another rushed, poorly put together project.

well u and i see differently

gangsta rap is a classic with fredwreck production

change the game has 2 dope jay-z verses mixed with Kurupt, Beans and Bleek rapping and Daz being the hype man with his recycled lyrics

everyone on that song did their shit and Jay's verses were better than his regular version

Cavvy

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 12:27:02 AM »
Imo these albums sit above Dogg Food
The Chronic
All eyes on me
The Chronic 2001
Straight outta Compton
Efil4zaggin
93 til Infinity
Labcabincalifornia
Death Certificate
Amerikkkas most wanted
Coast to Coast (tha liks)
Below the Heavens
Genocide and juice
The Unseen (Quasimoto)
Soul on Ice
Bow down
--------------
Dogg Food

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »
Dillinger & Young Gotti

Can't remember a good group album after that, yes DP is done

doggfather

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 04:02:27 AM »

You're joking, right?

no, not even close.

easy:

doggystyle
chronic
staright outta compton
amerikka's most wanted
bow down
music to drive-by
born to mack
o.g. original gangster
street iz a mutha
kiss my black azz

this is 2x5... and not the all.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doggfather

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 04:13:06 AM »
If I really think about i can choose 5 better album from the DPGC...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Okka

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:15 AM »
gangsta rap is not a classic, let alone change the game remix. it was nice to hear the Pound with Jay-Z but the song wasn't a classic, it was good for what it was, a nice little remix.

2002 has too many recycled songs (Way Too Often, Feels Good, It's All About That Money, Your Gyrlfriend 2) and unfinished songs (Livin Tha Gangsta Life)... it has classics (every single day, roll wit us, just doggin remix, don't stop) and very good songs (smoke, whatcha about, 10 til midnight) but it clearly lacks consistency and cohesiveness... it's more of a compilation. just another rushed, poorly put together project.

It is a compilation, Daz and Kurupt had left Death Row already when the shit came out. "Dat Whoopty Woop" was supposed to be released on Death Row, that's why "2002" has those Soopafly songs on it. "R.A.W." was supposed to be released on Death Row also or at least the material was recorded while they were on Death Row, that's why "2002" has songs from that album also.

bouli77

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »
yeah i know those are death row songs, never said they weren't. but the fact that the album is merely a compilation rather than an actually cohesive album like Dilli & Gotti (which contains mostly death row material too, but remixed and re-worked), and also the fact that when it was released, a lot of songs were already available don't make it a very solid Dogg Pound album like Dilli & Gotti is to me.