Author Topic: Did any West Coast rapper fall off and sell out worse than Mack 10?  (Read 2523 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Did any West Coast rapper fall off and sell out worse than Mack 10?
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2012, 05:27:10 PM »
lmfao thats not a "daz" influence its a westcoast influence i can agree with but daz aint the first person to use a moog synth and neither were dre or warren or quik. manny is quick to give dre his props though as an inspiration...

shit when i think of the moog synth i think of the beach boys more then anything...maybe the beachboys are the true founders of g funk?

and lets be real what would daz beats back then have sounded like if dudes like dre quik soopafly and barney rubble and all them dudes didnt touch em? i
But that's kind of the funny part about a lot of West Coast fans. They'll whine all day about how their favorite artists are being "robbed" by today's artist but completely ignore how much those same artists were influenced by those who came before them. I mean, how sensitive are people to anything artists do today that sounds remotely "West Coast" while nearly all of these people I can bet didn't know shit about the musical history that these 90's artists were borrowing from. How many of these "classic" West Coast joints didn't recycle elements from songs made by Stevie Wonder, Leon Haywood, The Ohio Players, Issac Hayes, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Roger Troutman, or any number of great artists and producers from prior decades? Shit. I can remember people seriously saying that Britney Spears' cover of "My Perogative" was ripping off Dogg Pound's "Gangsta Perogative". Most of today's shit ain't any more borrowed than the hit records from the 90's.

westside159

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »
Mack 10 repped the West harder and better than you could rep it in the 90's.  He came in with Cube and immediately made his presence felt.  Tracks/video's like "Westside Slaughterhouse" and "West Up" are some of the greatest West Coast battle anthems of all-time.   And topping it all was "Bow Down" at the hieght of the East/West beef in 96.   Mack 10 was still going strong even as the West was fading from the spotlight... in 98' he came with "Only In California" uniting the Coast with him and Snoop on a certified banger.   His own label was up and running and he was promoting and selling West Coast artists like MC Eiht, doing his thing...

...and then he sold out after the 90's and went down South to Cash Money.  His music became complete garbage and he lost all of his integrity he'd build over the years.

I agree

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »
lmfao thats not a "daz" influence its a westcoast influence i can agree with but daz aint the first person to use a moog synth and neither were dre or warren or quik. manny is quick to give dre his props though as an inspiration...

shit when i think of the moog synth i think of the beach boys more then anything...maybe the beachboys are the true founders of g funk?

and lets be real what would daz beats back then have sounded like if dudes like dre quik soopafly and barney rubble and all them dudes didnt touch em? i
But that's kind of the funny part about a lot of West Coast fans. They'll whine all day about how their favorite artists are being "robbed" by today's artist but completely ignore how much those same artists were influenced by those who came before them. I mean, how sensitive are people to anything artists do today that sounds remotely "West Coast" while nearly all of these people I can bet didn't know shit about the musical history that these 90's artists were borrowing from. How many of these "classic" West Coast joints didn't recycle elements from songs made by Stevie Wonder, Leon Haywood, The Ohio Players, Issac Hayes, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Roger Troutman, or any number of great artists and producers from prior decades? Shit. I can remember people seriously saying that Britney Spears' cover of "My Perogative" was ripping off Dogg Pound's "Gangsta Perogative". Most of today's shit ain't any more borrowed than the hit records from the 90's.

True. All the elements we associate with the west coast sound were taken from earlier artists not from the west coast.