Author Topic: Did any West Coast rapper fall off and sell out worse than Mack 10?  (Read 2519 times)

Will_B

Re: Did any West Coast rapper fall off and sell out worse than Mack 10?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
A lot of rappers output fell off as production values of the music dropped...Mack 10 is just one of many u could name.

Selling out is subjective tho.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
I wouldn't say that Mack 10 sold out... but the main thing I didn't like was when he did that video for Do the Damn Thing when he was on Cash Money and put them all in red outfits... who knows, maybe that's where it started for Baby and Lil Wayne wanting to be down, since I don't remember seeing them in red anything before that.

Also, I wouldn't say he fell off either.  He's been pretty consistent, not that it's hard to do for him, since it's not like he was spitting crazy lyrical shit anyway.  But I think he did have less of an ability to make big street hits... Backyard Boogie was fucking huge (I swear, when that dropped when I was in high school, I remember some Mexican gangbangers who rode in a clean black Impala used to bump that song loud as fuck on the way out everyday for almost a whole month).  I even thought From the Streets got a lot of attention too, just not as much.

But whatever happened with that issue Mack had when he owed somebody six figures because he didn't go the court hearing and lost because he was a no-show?

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »
infinite...i can understand why you'd say mack 10 sold out, but in that case, you'd have to say snoop sold out, and sold out even harder.

really, though, mack 10 has been reppin the west from day 1. even when he signed with cash money, he had a bangin' dre track as a first single ("hate in yo eyez") and had a lot of west coast bangers on the album, as well...it was pretty much a snoop-to-no limitesque move, just without as much publicity surrounding it. also, mack 10 has stayed true to the west, especially when u consider the "mack 10 presents da hood" album, which was a good album with a buncha west coast acts. so yes, many westcoast rappers have fallen off and sold out worse than mack 10.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
selling out means doin things u dont want to do for money, tahts the defintion.
i dont think Mack is doin anythin he doesnt want to today. Snoop hasnt sold out either

regardless, Mack 10 has always been a wackass rapper tho i agree, the weak link in WSC

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »
That Cash Money album is one of his best... His album with Da Hood was good, so was his album with Glasses Malone.

I don't know what you're talking about. Dude's never dropped one wack album and fillers are hard to find on his projects. Mack 10 might be the most consistent rapper on the West Coast.

EXACTLY!

It always amazes me how people hate on that album just because of the logo on the back of the packaging. The album was dope and unlike Snoop's No Limit album, Mack didn't go to a South label and take on their style, he brought himself to the label. Mannie Fresh gave him West Coast bangers and he brought the proper guest features (Cube, WC, Xzibit, Scarface, Butch Cassidy, E-40).

His last album was frisbee worthy but don't front on the projects before, dude always drops bangin albums with that authentic home grown underground West Coast feel. He's never dropped successful commercial material and thats fine, dude has always known his role and played his part. I wish more artist could do the same and stop thinking they're Pac 2.0
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »
That Cash Money album is one of his best... His album with Da Hood was good, so was his album with Glasses Malone.

I don't know what you're talking about. Dude's never dropped one wack album and fillers are hard to find on his projects. Mack 10 might be the most consistent rapper on the West Coast.

EXACTLY!

It always amazes me how people hate on that album just because of the logo on the back of the packaging. The album was dope and unlike Snoop's No Limit album, Mack didn't go to a South label and take on their style, he brought himself to the label. Mannie Fresh gave him West Coast bangers and he brought the proper guest features (Cube, WC, Xzibit, Scarface, Butch Cassidy, E-40).

His last album was frisbee worthy but don't front on the projects before, dude always drops bangin albums with that authentic home grown underground West Coast feel. He's never dropped successful commercial material and thats fine, dude has always known his role and played his part. I wish more artist could do the same and stop thinking they're Pac 2.0

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »
infinite...i can understand why you'd say mack 10 sold out, but in that case, you'd have to say snoop sold out, and sold out even harder.

really, though, mack 10 has been reppin the west from day 1. even when he signed with cash money, he had a bangin' dre track as a first single ("hate in yo eyez") and had a lot of west coast bangers on the album, as well...it was pretty much a snoop-to-no limitesque move, just without as much publicity surrounding it. also, mack 10 has stayed true to the west, especially when u consider the "mack 10 presents da hood" album, which was a good album with a buncha west coast acts. so yes, many westcoast rappers have fallen off and sold out worse than mack 10.

Cash Money rappers make the shit Master P was doing in 98 sound like Malcolm X.   No way you can compare Snoop going to No Limit with Mack 10 going to Cash Money.  

...you did make a good point about "Hate In Your Eyes" being produced by Dre and him having a lot of West Coast shit on there.  That's good.  But after hearing he signed to Cash Money and seeing that trash video, I never gave the rest of the album a chance.  
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »
Brian you are a fucking douchebag

nevermind the fact you don't feed your kid...you ASSUME a cd sucks because of a logo on the back and not the music itself?

fucking moron

Quadruple OG

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
Kurupt fell off a lot more than Mack 10.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »

you ASSUME a cd sucks because of a logo on the back and not the music itself?

fucking moron

It's hard for people who aren't conscious to understand.  They fill their minds and bodies with trash and filth and never give it a moments thought.  So I know it's hard for you to understand.  But when you are listening to a Cash Money product you are ingesting a lot of auditory stimuli into your system.  And I don't believe in what Cash Money Records stands for as a business and a record label.  So I refuse to allow that garbage to enter my system.

Westcoast Pig

• 'G'
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »

you ASSUME a cd sucks because of a logo on the back and not the music itself?

fucking moron

It's hard for people who aren't conscious to understand.  They fill their minds and bodies with trash and filth and never give it a moments thought.  So I know it's hard for you to understand.  But when you are listening to a Cash Money product you are ingesting a lot of auditory stimuli into your system.  And I don't believe in what Cash Money Records stands for as a business and a record label.  So I refuse to allow that garbage to enter my system.

lmao at u dont want to let garbage enter your system yet your on a westcoast gangster rap music forum for 24 hours a day..  if u havent noticed 85 % of the subject matter in gangster rap is garbage..no matter what the label

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »

lmao at u dont want to let garbage enter your system yet your on a westcoast gangster rap music forum for 24 hours a day..  if u havent noticed 85 % of the subject matter in gangster rap is garbage..no matter what the label

The gangsta rap I listened to from the 90's was far from garbage. 

Gangsta rap was sort of like a modern day version of tribalism.  Back Ancient Africa and the Middle East, members of a tribe would have different titles and job duties.  For example you would have your warrior wing of the tribe, you would have your hunter gatherers, and so on.  One vital segment of the tribe were the poets.  The poets would glorify the virtues of the tribe.  The were the voice of the tribe and they communicated their aspirations to the outside world.  Gangsta rappers were the same way.  They were great poets and artists reppin where they were from and their virtues in heroism, courage, and valor. 

Anyone who knows Snoop knows that Snoop has a good heart.  Snoop is a righteous man.  2pac is a righteous man.  The gangsta rap I was listening to growing up was mostly Death Row and it's affiliates.  The weren't perfect, but for the most part it was positive.

Remedy360

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »

Gangsta rap was sort of like a modern day version of tribalism.  Back Ancient Africa and the Middle East, members of a tribe would have different titles and job duties.  For example you would have your warrior wing of the tribe, you would have your hunter gatherers, and so on.  One vital segment of the tribe were the poets.  The poets would glorify the virtues of the tribe.  The were the voice of the tribe and they communicated their aspirations to the outside world.  Gangsta rappers were the same way.  They were great poets and artists reppin where they were from and their virtues in heroism, courage, and valor. 

Anyone who knows Snoop knows that Snoop has a good heart.  Snoop is a righteous man.  2pac is a righteous man.  The gangsta rap I was listening to growing up was mostly Death Row and it's affiliates.  The weren't perfect, but for the most part it was positive.

Death Row...was positive?

Quadruple OG

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »
Kurupt went from arguably a top 5 MC in 95/96 to raps like "you're more of a bitch than a bitch".

That's falling off.

Westcoast Pig

• 'G'
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »

LMFAO... ur either the biggest delusional nerdy wigger ive ever seen or the biggest troll