Author Topic: Did any West Coast rapper fall off and sell out worse than Mack 10?  (Read 2522 times)

Sccit

Re: Did any West Coast rapper fall off and sell out worse than Mack 10?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
infinite...i can understand why you'd say mack 10 sold out, but in that case, you'd have to say snoop sold out, and sold out even harder.

really, though, mack 10 has been reppin the west from day 1. even when he signed with cash money, he had a bangin' dre track as a first single ("hate in yo eyez") and had a lot of west coast bangers on the album, as well...it was pretty much a snoop-to-no limitesque move, just without as much publicity surrounding it. also, mack 10 has stayed true to the west, especially when u consider the "mack 10 presents da hood" album, which was a good album with a buncha west coast acts. so yes, many westcoast rappers have fallen off and sold out worse than mack 10.

Cash Money rappers make the shit Master P was doing in 98 sound like Malcolm X.   No way you can compare Snoop going to No Limit with Mack 10 going to Cash Money. 

...you did make a good point about "Hate In Your Eyes" being produced by Dre and him having a lot of West Coast shit on there.  That's good.  But after hearing he signed to Cash Money and seeing that trash video, I never gave the rest of the album a chance.   

i dunno about all that...cash money and no limit were pretty good rivals in the late 90's. while i do prefer master p's bay influenced style, cash money did have a pretty good producer in mannie fresh, and also had some pretty solid releases during that era ("400 degreez", "block is hot", "guerilla warfare", "got that work")...not my preference of music, but it definitely shits on anything comin out in the mainstream nowadays.

as for mack 10, he wasn't really with cash money for that long to begin with...after his short stint with them, he was right back to his hoo bangin' records, on both the major label and independant circuit. dude has actually put in a lot of work for the west coast, and while he's failed to produce classics like he did when he first came on the scene, he's still kept it west coast and had his share of solid releases.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »

lmao at u dont want to let garbage enter your system yet your on a westcoast gangster rap music forum for 24 hours a day..  if u havent noticed 85 % of the subject matter in gangster rap is garbage..no matter what the label

The gangsta rap I listened to from the 90's was far from garbage. 

Gangsta rap was sort of like a modern day version of tribalism.  Back Ancient Africa and the Middle East, members of a tribe would have different titles and job duties.  For example you would have your warrior wing of the tribe, you would have your hunter gatherers, and so on.  One vital segment of the tribe were the poets.  The poets would glorify the virtues of the tribe.  The were the voice of the tribe and they communicated their aspirations to the outside world.  Gangsta rappers were the same way.  They were great poets and artists reppin where they were from and their virtues in heroism, courage, and valor. 

Anyone who knows Snoop knows that Snoop has a good heart.  Snoop is a righteous man.  2pac is a righteous man.  The gangsta rap I was listening to growing up was mostly Death Row and it's affiliates.  The weren't perfect, but for the most part it was positive.

LMFAO... ur either the biggest delusional nerdy wigger ive ever seen or the biggest troll

i'll take A for 500 Alex

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
after hearing he signed to Cash Money and seeing that trash video, I never gave the rest of the album a chance.  

Well shit, who's fault is that?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

doggfather

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »

regardless, Mack 10 has always been a wackass rapper tho i agree, the weak link in WSC

I don't think there were a weak link in WSCG.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Cavvy

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2012, 12:30:02 AM »
he fell off with his finances
but as a rapper hes pretty much kept it 100

Jimmy H.

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2012, 01:42:34 AM »
I've never been a massive fan of Mack 10 but I respect the man's hustle. I fail to see how him signing to Cash Money is this great artistic compromise that forever saddles him with the label of "sell-out". People wave that word around way too freely and the strong majority of them have no fucking clue what they are talking about. All these rappers basically work for MAJOR LABELS. They're all taking a paycheck from a major corporation to create popular music. How is Mack signing with Cash Money any worse than your boy, Nas signing to Def Jam when his long-time rival, Jay-Z, was running it at the time? It's all some silly shit. The artists at Death Row (Pac, Dr. Dre, Snoop) were all making commercial music. Most of these guys describe themselves as "businessmen" more than they do "artists". It's not that they won't do a song with Justin Bieber or Miley Cryus because it's "selling out". Quite the contrary. If you're a person with a hardcore hip-hop reputation, doing a duet with a pop singer would actually KILL your record sales. But a pop singer with a strong utban demographic? Money. Pretty sure, a few rappers worked with Paris Hilton and if Kim Kardashian's singing career had lasted more than one song, you can bet your ass every rapper would be jumping to get on the "street" remix of her next single. Most rappers will work with just about anyone as long as the people who buy their CD's will accept it. Nobody outside of Nelly was fucking with Timberlake when he was still N-Sync but the minute, he re-invented himself as a sort of "white Usher", he was the guy to go to for the crossover hit. Hip-hop had the illusion of artistic intergrity when other music genres needed it to help them come off as "edgy" and "hip". The fact is too many of you have your art confused with commerce.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 05:28:09 AM »
Your arguement totally failed when you compared Mack 10 signing to Cash Money with Nas signing to Def Jam.  Def Jam is the pioneering label of hip-hop.  You could not find a more respectable label that has done more for representing hiphop culture than Def Jam.   Since the 80's with Kurtis Blow and Russel Simmons doing their thing to make hip-hop what it was I have nothing but love and repect for Russel Simmons.

Cash Money has done everything to destroy and ruin hip-hop and no label has done more to kill hip_hop than Cash Money has.

The two labels are like night and days.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 06:33:09 AM »

Cash Money has done everything to destroy and ruin hip-hop and no label has done more to kill hip_hop than Cash Money has.

they over-saturate the market with wack music but you must realize cash money records goes back to 1992

cash money was dope before their universal deal

Okka

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 06:57:27 AM »
I don't know what you're talking about. Dude's never dropped one wack album and fillers are hard to find on his projects. Mack 10 might be the most consistent rapper on the West Coast.

I agree, i haven't heard the album with Glasses Malone though.

doggfather

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 07:59:01 AM »

I agree, i haven't heard the album with Glasses Malone though.

check it, not bad.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »

you ASSUME a cd sucks because of a logo on the back and not the music itself?

fucking moron

It's hard for people who aren't conscious to understand.  They fill their minds and bodies with trash and filth and never give it a moments thought.  So I know it's hard for you to understand.  But when you are listening to a Cash Money product you are ingesting a lot of auditory stimuli into your system.  And I don't believe in what Cash Money Records stands for as a business and a record label.  So I refuse to allow that garbage to enter my system.

lmao at u dont want to let garbage enter your system yet your on a westcoast gangster rap music forum for 24 hours a day..  if u havent noticed 85 % of the subject matter in gangster rap is garbage..no matter what the label
not true.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Portugoal

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 08:55:29 AM »
he fell off with his finances
but as a rapper hes pretty much kept it 100

Next time I wanna know who has what on his bank account, I'll ask you. :)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »

Gangsta rap was sort of like a modern day version of tribalism.  Back Ancient Africa and the Middle East, members of a tribe would have different titles and job duties.  For example you would have your warrior wing of the tribe, you would have your hunter gatherers, and so on.  One vital segment of the tribe were the poets.  The poets would glorify the virtues of the tribe.  The were the voice of the tribe and they communicated their aspirations to the outside world.  Gangsta rappers were the same way.  They were great poets and artists reppin where they were from and their virtues in heroism, courage, and valor. 

Anyone who knows Snoop knows that Snoop has a good heart.  Snoop is a righteous man.  2pac is a righteous man.  The gangsta rap I was listening to growing up was mostly Death Row and it's affiliates.  The weren't perfect, but for the most part it was positive.

no, it was garbage...even i can admit that.

its just it was the soundtrack to your youth so you cherish it like uncle rico.

songs like brenda had a baby etc dont hold a candle to songe like sam cookes change gon come....but unforuently in the 80 - 90s is when all music  took a turn for the worst so a song like that is the closest thing this generation has to actual humaniatrian artists and shit like stevie wonder curtis mayfield etc. its a shame that to cats like brian this is the closest they will ever have to being truly inspired by music is listening to tupac rhyme enemy with hennesee over old isley samples.

Dikteta Dax

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »

lmao at u dont want to let garbage enter your system yet your on a westcoast gangster rap music forum for 24 hours a day..  if u havent noticed 85 % of the subject matter in gangster rap is garbage..no matter what the label

Gangsta rap was sort of like a modern day version of tribalism.  Back Ancient Africa and the Middle East, members of a tribe would have different titles and job duties.  For example you would have your warrior wing of the tribe, you would have your hunter gatherers, and so on.  One vital segment of the tribe were the poets.  The poets would glorify the virtues of the tribe.  The were the voice of the tribe and they communicated their aspirations to the outside world.  Gangsta rappers were the same way.  They were great poets and artists reppin where they were from and their virtues in heroism, courage, and valor.  

Anyone who knows Snoop knows that Snoop has a good heart.  Snoop is a righteous man.  2pac is a righteous man.  The gangsta rap I was listening to growing up was mostly Death Row and it's affiliates.  The weren't perfect, but for the most part it was positive.

songs like brenda had a baby etc dont hold a candle to songe like sam cookes change gon come....but unforuently in the 80 - 90s is when all music  took a turn for the worst so a song like that is the closest thing this generation has to actual humaniatrian artists and shit like stevie wonder curtis mayfield etc. its a shame that to cats like brian this is the closest they will ever have to being truly inspired by music is listening to tupac rhyme enemy with hennesee over old isley samples.

Exactly, this is what I was trying to get across to this idiot in the best group of all time thread.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:22:40 PM by Black Male »