Author Topic: Planning To Build A Gaming Computer, Worth It?  (Read 576 times)

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
Planning To Build A Gaming Computer, Worth It?
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »
I'm planning to drop 3500 on a desktop gaming computer, that'll just rape everything for a couple years, and probably last for 10 years till its considered done.

i always wanted one (I'm asian bro, don't matter what kind of person you are, if ur asian at one point in ur life (or u still do) u wanted a crazy gaming desktop)

I'm just wondering if its too much investment for a computer, after all I'm not a teenager anymore, but if i were to get one it would be now, not years later when i probably would hardly be gaming.

anybody have a crazy desktop? besides the asians, i know europeans and white boys go all out on that shit. not that i haven't seen hispanics or blacks be tech junkies, but majority of the major nerds are asians, and europeans.

especially since all the console games are going to be user "specified" meaning the extinction of used games, and rentals.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Planning To Build A Gaming Computer, Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:11:36 AM »
dunno much bout these things, im not a hi-tech dude,
but it seems to be fairly easy nowadays

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »
Depends on what type of games you plan on playing.  You should be able to build a beast for way less that 3500 though.  What are you trying to play?  If you build you own, which isn't too tough you can save a lot of cash.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
Depends on what type of games you plan on playing.  You should be able to build a beast for way less that 3500 though.  What are you trying to play?  If you build you own, which isn't too tough you can save a lot of cash.

counter-strike 2, total war games, diablo 3, possibly wow or the star wars game (not to keen on MMOs though), and i wouldn't be buying call of duty or battlefield for ps3 anymore. but i want to play them ON HIGH SETTINGS

heres my build, tell me what u think is unnecessary, and can u tell me if the ram works with my motherboard?

Processor: I7-3770K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Motherboard: Intel Z77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128549

Graphics Card: GTX 680 (x2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130772

Power Supply: SeaSonic X-1050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110

Ram: RipJaws X (x2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

Solid State Drive: Crucial M4 512GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148444

Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Sound Card: ASUS 90-YAA0E0-0UAN00Z
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132019

Tower: Cooler Master Cosmos II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119252

Optical Drive: Asus Blu-Ray, DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252

Liquid Cooler: Corsair H100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
Fuck dual cards and cooling...that shits for bragging.  You can make a bad ass box that can run everything listed without that trash.  Save you a ton of money too.  New Egg is a great company to order from.  I've built two systems using them, and have had good experiences.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Fuck dual cards and cooling...that shits for bragging.  You can make a bad ass box that can run everything listed without that trash.  Save you a ton of money too.  New Egg is a great company to order from.  I've built two systems using them, and have had good experiences.

i dunno some dudes were trying to convince me on a PC forum saying something about one handling the odd FPS and the other handling the even FPS

don't know exactly what that means though, i know when we played counter-strike we wrote max_fps 99999999999 to get it less laggy or better or something

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
Fuck those douche bags.  They are more than likely using moms credit card to buy their shit.  You seem to be a little smarter than that.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
Fuck those douche bags.  They are more than likely using moms credit card to buy their shit.  You seem to be a little smarter than that.

yea if i don't get the dual and don't get the liquid cooling version i wouldn't have to get that tower either so it would save me a grand.

I'm thinking about the solid state also, i mean before the solid state the regular hard drive disk was the real bottle neck, but its really expensive and it'll of course get cheaper down the road. but its just gonna be a bitch to reinstall windows on to the solid state (gonna put all applications/OS on the solid-state of course and than just regular data on my regular hard drive)

still thinking bout that. but its crazy how 1 TB regular hard drives are so cheap

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »

yea if i don't get the dual and don't get the liquid cooling version i wouldn't have to get that tower either so it would save me a grand.

I'm thinking about the solid state also, i mean before the solid state the regular hard drive disk was the real bottle neck, but its really expensive and it'll of course get cheaper down the road. but its just gonna be a bitch to reinstall windows on to the solid state (gonna put all applications/OS on the solid-state of course and than just regular data on my regular hard drive)

still thinking bout that. but its crazy how 1 TB regular hard drives are so cheap

SSD is the only way to go now.  Fuck a built in big drive.  Just connect an external drive for music and pictures.  Leave the SSD for OS and games.

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:54:37 AM »
LooN3y you are fucking gay
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »
I have bought/built gaming rigs for years now, and this is my advice:

Always go for the middle price class, don't spend a LOT of extra money to get a little extra performance. In your case that means drop the liquid cooling, solid state drive and dual graphic cards. I'd skip the blu ray burner as well, but perhaps you've got a use for it.

Why drop the SSD? Because you can't really use it for your games, because one game can take up tens of Gigs of space by itself. So you end up spending hundreds of dollars, just so you save a couple of seconds on your Windows start-up time.

Why not take dual video cards? First of all because it is overkill (unless you plan on playing on three 24" screens or something). Second because your video card is one of the first components that gets outdated and will need to be replaced.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
I have bought/built gaming rigs for years now, and this is my advice:

Always go for the middle price class, don't spend a LOT of extra money to get a little extra performance. In your case that means drop the liquid cooling, solid state drive and dual graphic cards. I'd skip the blu ray burner as well, but perhaps you've got a use for it.

Why drop the SSD? Because you can't really use it for your games, because one game can take up tens of Gigs of space by itself. So you end up spending hundreds of dollars, just so you save a couple of seconds on your Windows start-up time.

Why not take dual video cards? First of all because it is overkill (unless you plan on playing on three 24" screens or something). Second because your video card is one of the first components that gets outdated and will need to be replaced.

If I got dual gtx 680s wouldn't that prevent me from upgrading my video card for a while? I usually don't upgrade my computer till it gets pretty laggy on medium settings

As for the solid state, I'm getting it, before SSD the hard drive disk was one of the bottlenecks, plus I can use it for work, because I use multiple virtual machines for work.

And the blu ray burner I'm gonna either rip the ones I have, or burn the ones I've downloaded

I'm getting a 512 SSD so I prob run out of space that quick, and all my data is gonna be on my reg hardrive,

But I am wondering about the videocard, would one non liquid cooling video card last long as a dual liquid cooling video card? I really don't plan to upgrade till 5-8 years later if I get mY build

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
honestly, this doesn't make sense because all the games are also made for old ass ps3 and xbox 360. yes they look a bit better on a high end pc, but not too much. you should wait until the new consoles come out and the bar is set way higher again. and even then buying the best of the best makes no sense for gaming, as it is only a few % better than something much cheaper. and it will not be the best of the best after a few months anymore anyway. crysis 1 was the best game graphics wise ever and it didn't sell too well because they didn't release it for the weak consoles. now that they had to make crysis 2 for the weak ass xbox 360 in order to make a profit, the game was nothing special for high end pc standards anymore. are you willing to pay $3000 to play the upcoming crysis 3 just a bit better than niggas who play it on the weak ass xbox 360 that costs like $250? if no, don't do it. simple as that. ain't nothing better than crysis out there anyways (strictly technical I mean... the game is not really fun imo)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
honestly, this doesn't make sense because all the games are also made for old ass ps3 and xbox 360. yes they look a bit better on a high end pc, but not too much. you should wait until the new consoles come out and the bar is set way higher again. and even then buying the best of the best makes no sense for gaming, as it is only a few % better than something much cheaper. and it will not be the best of the best after a few months anymore anyway. crysis 1 was the best game graphics wise ever and it didn't sell too well because they didn't release it for the weak consoles. now that they had to make crysis 2 for the weak ass xbox 360 in order to make a profit, the game was nothing special for high end pc standards anymore. are you willing to pay $3000 to play the upcoming crysis 3 just a bit better than niggas who play it on the weak ass xbox 360 that costs like $250? if no, don't do it. simple as that. ain't nothing better than crysis out there anyways (strictly technical I mean... the game is not really fun imo)

well i want a PC because i like playing games on PC better, like call of duty, BF3, etc etc. and now i can finally play all of the halos (my desktop cannot support that before)

and MODS, i love mods, just like how counterstrike, dod, came to life. i love mods so i can have my own skin on a gun, or a lambo or 64 impala in grand theft auto 4.

and i want a powerful computer, to organize/ convert all my movies and music, I'm on the computer a lot, much more than my ps3.

for my ps3 i make my daily nba2k rounds and that occasionally play COD or Battlefield

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

If I got dual gtx 680s wouldn't that prevent me from upgrading my video card for a while? I usually don't upgrade my computer till it gets pretty laggy on medium settings

As for the solid state, I'm getting it, before SSD the hard drive disk was one of the bottlenecks, plus I can use it for work, because I use multiple virtual machines for work.

And the blu ray burner I'm gonna either rip the ones I have, or burn the ones I've downloaded

I'm getting a 512 SSD so I prob run out of space that quick, and all my data is gonna be on my reg hardrive,

But I am wondering about the videocard, would one non liquid cooling video card last long as a dual liquid cooling video card? I really don't plan to upgrade till 5-8 years later if I get mY build

Of course if you want the best of the best and don't mind spending the money, you should go for the dual cards and SSD. But if you are asking if those are necessary for a good gaming PC, then no they are not. You will spend a lot of money for a little extra imo.

By the way, as for upgrading your video card: buying dual video cards won't prevent you from upgrading in the long run. At least not if you want to play the newest games for 8 years. Not so much because of a lack of power, but because of new DirectX versions which your card won't support etc. And in the coming couple of years you will just have an overkill with the two cards. In any case i'd save the money from one card to buy a new one in four years.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:45:25 PM by G-Bee »