Author Topic: Planning To Build A Gaming Computer, Worth It?  (Read 573 times)

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
Re: Planning To Build A Gaming Computer, Worth It?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »

If I got dual gtx 680s wouldn't that prevent me from upgrading my video card for a while? I usually don't upgrade my computer till it gets pretty laggy on medium settings

As for the solid state, I'm getting it, before SSD the hard drive disk was one of the bottlenecks, plus I can use it for work, because I use multiple virtual machines for work.

And the blu ray burner I'm gonna either rip the ones I have, or burn the ones I've downloaded

I'm getting a 512 SSD so I prob run out of space that quick, and all my data is gonna be on my reg hardrive,

But I am wondering about the videocard, would one non liquid cooling video card last long as a dual liquid cooling video card? I really don't plan to upgrade till 5-8 years later if I get mY build

Of course if you want the best of the best and don't mind spending the money, you should go for the dual cards and SSD. But if you are asking if those are necessary for a good gaming PC, then no they are not. You will spend a lot of money for a little extra imo.

By the way, as for upgrading your video card: buying dual video cards won't prevent you from upgrading in the long run. At least not if you want to play the newest games for 8 years. Not so much because of a lack of power, but because of new DirectX versions which your card won't support etc. And in the coming couple of years you will just have an overkill with the two cards. In any case i'd save the money from one card to buy a new one in four years.

i don't know i always wanted liquid cooling since i was a kid, cuz it just looks cool.

i mean i survived off my video card for a couple of years, lets say i don't upgrade for 8 years, with the dual GTX 680s wouldn't i at least be able to run the new games (8 years in the future) at least on low or medium settings?

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »

i don't know i always wanted liquid cooling since i was a kid, cuz it just looks cool.

Lol at least you are being honest.  If you want to build a beast bragging rights rig then by all means cool and dual card, Overclock chip, chipset and ram.  All that shit.  But you won't really notice a huge real world difference between that and a solid build single card rig.  Plus you will save at least a rack, and your system will be more stable.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »
 That would be a monster machine man. I've never spent that much at once. i think $2000 the most in one hit, last upgrade i did was about $1300 if memory serves(new main board, ram, cpu, vid card, burner).
 I've never run dual cards myself so i cant really comment on that but i play bf3 on the highest settings with a GTX 570 sweet as. iam also running the intel i72600K cpu and i purchased the g.skill rip jaws(8gig). I have an SSD but its not the best brand and only 120 gig(shit was $350 back then..).
 I've never gone all out on the cooling system either but running all that you listed it would be a good idea probably but if you have decent air flow in your case and a air conditioner should be right.
 Thats a powerful power supply iam running an 800W but yeah i only got the one card.
 I would definately go for an SSD man. yeah they expensive but your pc will run so much faster. Your pc will boot up very quick and preform tasks faster plus running games on them they load so quick.  yeah it means you'll only be able to have a limited amount of games installed at one time but its worth it i mean its not hard to uninstal old games that you wont play again and you can back up all your steam games on another HD.
 And your making a wise choice going to PC gaming. I mean FPS games absolutely must be played on a pc, playing with a keyboard and a good gaming mouse is the only way to go. In bf3(battlefield 3) i play with an awesome head set and a good gaming mouse with extra side buttons(i have a button for grenade, knife and chat, etc) its all right at your fingertips.
 Oh and another example, on console in bf3 your are limited and restricted to small maps and 32 players only, on pc you get the full maps and up to 64 players so its the real battlefield experience.
 You probably dont need to worry about the sound card hey. The mother board i got had really really good on board sound. Gaming sounds so awesome and i watch all the stuff i download through my pc monitor and the sound is good. I guess music on my head phones could be louder but the surround sound is great(plus i have a gaming head set not beast by Dre).
 You definately dont need to spend as much but that would be an impressive machine and you wouldnt need to upgrade anything for at least two years but could go alot longer.
 I mean the cpus and ram, games do not require the amount of power they produce yet and you could multi task doing shit loads of stuff at the same time with a machine like that.
 Looks like a cool tower, couldnt see if it was tooless or not but if not get a tooless one it makes building a pc and upgrading easier.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:05:30 AM by KrazySumwhat »

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 12:17:35 AM »
krazysumwhat or based ghost

can you give me a cheaper build that'lll run shit on high settings?

im just on that computer crack, i cant really afford it. ill be broke for a month

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »
 Hmm well i can upgrade and build computers myself but to be honest when it comes to buying parts iam lazy because i have several friends who are really smart with computers and follow all the tec and they keep me up to date(if i ask) not to mention iam in a gaming clan with some very compuer smart people and a friend of mine is a computer tecnician^^;
 They pretty much give me advice and make recommendations. I am known to rush off or ignor them though and just buy what i want but man really forums and google is your friend. the cpu i mentioned is awesome, that ram your looking at is awesome, iam not up to date with the lastest graphics cards but just one of the ones you want would be fine or get one thats better instead of two of those. i mean games like counter strike and diablo arnet huge on graphics.
 My mother board is the gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 and is awesome its overkill for me but very upgradeable.
 I mean its only really the CPU and GPU thats the expensive part, oh and the SSD. MB cheap, Ram very cheap,  power supply pretty cheap you prolly only need a 800W, towers cheap, not sure about your monitor status? Monitors gotten cheaper to. Think mines only 21-22 inch?
 Definately dont go to the big branch pc shops cos they will talk shit and rip you off. Go to the smaller places i mean its cheaper if you buy the parts and build the pc yourself but i got mine built for only $50 so thats well worth it they do an awesome neat job and warranty.
 I'd say you could get a really good machine for $2000 or less. These days even $1000-$1500 could be decent it all depends like the latest video card would be like $900-$1000 and SSDs expensive.
 The machine i have, the parts i mentioned are all at least a year old so not sure if you want those parts(definately get a better video card than i have) but MB's, RAM and CPU do not need to be upgraded very often, if anything maybe the ram and its cheap. get a good monitor or use your tv as your monitor.
 You should get a decent cpu cooler but to be honest i didnt i just have the one that came with the cpu and its fine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:50:19 AM by KrazySumwhat »

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:53 AM »
To be honest, i'd just go for something like this:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dpcwnz1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=alienware-aurora-r4

Upgrade it 'till you hit the $2000 mark and you have a BEAST of a gaming pc.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »
 Hmm i dunno bout Dell but do what ever you want.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »

blcxm

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:56 AM »
lmao.

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 12:51:32 AM »
Spending this much on a computer is bullshit. Now matter how expensive they are, in 2 years they aren't worth shit anyway. You'd be better off with a cheaper one who's decent and upgrade  later on.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »

It dosent hurt to educate one self and learn something. The days of computers being nerdy are pretty far gone. And upgrading a pc, shit even building one isnt as difficult as people think. Walking into a pc store with no knowledge is the same as getting your car service/repaired with no knowledge, the person at the store could tell you anything and you wouldnt know any better.
 Ok so joining a gaming clan and attending LAN's is kinda nerdy :P

Matty

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
for that money i'd have a screaming PC, Plasma, AV Amp and 5.1 home theatre system with change to spare, all high level components.

dual graphics cards kinda OTT, same goes for a 512gb SSD. pc parts lose a lot of bang for buck that super high end is never worth it, even if you upgrade after a couple of years.

LIGHTS_444

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
you are considering building a new computer for gaming, and you are asking other people to see if it is worth it for you or not????
were you mexican?

L.A.M.B!

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 06:09:49 AM »
you are considering building a new computer for gaming, and you are asking other people to see if it is worth it for you or not????
were you mexican?

what does being mexican have to do with it, I'm haven't gotten a computer myself in more than 10 years, and I'm bout to drop over 3 grand on it, thats basically the same amount for down payment on a decent car.

of course I'm gonna ask for suggestions, if i didn't clearly there would of been something wrong.

and your lights arnt ya? I'm not a money crazy armo or persian that constantly buys jewelry and benz's that i can't afford. I'm an average 22 yr old, if i spend around 5 g's on anything i should think twice unless its completely necessary, and a gaming rig isn't.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »
 I dont think its worth spending so much unless its one of your main hobbies and passions(gaming). If you plan to play on line shooters and play competitively and if the sort who wants all teh latest games and buy new games all the time then yes indeed its worth the $$$ but if not theres no need to spend quite so much.
 Theres no point buying one where you cant crank up the graphics and will become obsolete before long but some people go SO overkill. Like purchase more ram that a pc would ever need and etc.
 But if you use your pc as your entertainment ahh system its also worth the doe, i watch movies, tv shows, anime, etc and game and listen to music all through my pc and multi task so you need a good computer for that.
 Shit lots of people these days run dual monitors as to watch something and chat or surf or shop , etc at the same time.