Author Topic: qué palabra chicano significar usted? (real thread)  (Read 171 times)

OutSider

qué palabra chicano significar usted? (real thread)
« on: February 07, 2003, 11:36:20 PM »
ok... i was given the directions to ask this question to Mexican Americans, Mexicans and Native Americans for my Chicano lit. class. I honestly dont want to go around asking people around my school or neighborhood this question for many reasons. So if you are on or the other please answer this question...

What does the Word chicano mean to you? Do you like or dislike the term? Most importantly do you use the term to as a way to profile yourself as a race?

I have this question going up on religous board as well... so please take the time to answer the questions if you are in Mexican ethnic group...

Thanks...

i personally dont really know what a chicano is... buti do know it goes back to the mexican making it a good term out of a bad one... so.. i will soon find out ... after i complete this simple task.. thanks. and Million!  

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: qué palabra chicano significar usted? (real thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 12:18:03 AM »
To me a Chicano is a person who was born out here but their parents were born in Mexico. A mexican american... I'm not sure if I'd say it's a negative word... but Mexican's do kinda use it to lookdown on you sometimes... Like "he's not all tha way Mexican, he's chicano"... but that depends what mexican you're talking to. I'm proud of tha word Chicano to tell you tha truth... and I do use it to classify myself... not as a race cuz we're all mexican.. but it's like... all tha Kids I grew up with are Chicano's, we can't say we're straight Mexican cuz I myself have never been to Mexico in my life...

But then again it's just lables... none of them bother me... I take pride in all of them... it's just like this... White People (or any other races) categorize us as Latino's.... then there's so many Latino's and they categorize you Mexican (depending what part of Latin America you're from)... then the Mexican's categorize us as Chicano's... they're all pretty much right so it doesn't really matter what you wanna call us... just choose whichever one is easier for you to say.

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 06:40:24 AM »
A chicano is a person who was born here, and of course their parents are from Mexico. But chicanos strongly believe in the Aztecs.  Some of them hate their last name because it sounds Spanish (Spain).  So basically Chicanoz are the people that are really into the Aztecs.  

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 08:38:54 AM »
Unique knows me, I love the term Chicano. I'm a Mexican-American, never been to Mexico, so I'm not a Mexican. I can never be a real Mexican, though I am one. Being Chicano though means that it's OK, because there are others like me. And I do agree with Javi Da Neah, because I really want to use my Aztec name. Lil' Bullet knows it, but I keep forgetting... LOL. But anyways, the whole breakdown.

As a Chicano, it gives an idenity to those who are not accepted. We as Mexican-Americans cannot be Mexicans if we never been to Mexico. I've been to T.J., but not really Mexico for along time. Basically Chicano once was an insult used by Mexicans from Mexico to make fun of Mexican-Americans. They didn't accept us, Gringos didn't accept us, so shit, we are on our own, and as Chicanos, we can accept each other.  Now we do all kinds of tight ass shit, like we were behind Ceaser Chavez and his fight for farm workers rights in the 60's and 70's, we were the ones rallying for civil rights with the African-Americans, we are starting to go to college, community college mainly, but shit, college still. We are getting into acting, like Jimmy Smit, homeboy that played Joker on Next Friday (his had some big roles in Chicano films like Mi Familia and Mi Vida Loca) and others. Selena was a Chicana fom Texas who didn't even speak Spanish, but she still worked her ass off to make it big in Mexico, and the United States. See without our own identifican, we would kill ourselves trying to be Mexican enough for Mexicans from Mexico. Being Chicano allows us to be our own people, with our own culture, because our culture is different than Mexico's. So now we don't worry about being Mexican enough, we can be our own, and that is a very prettiful thing. Paz