32 (45.1%)
Yes, a bit
17 (23.9%)
No
18 (25.4%)
Yes, very much so
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Is DJ Quik overrated?  (Read 2662 times)

bouli77

Re: Is DJ Quik overrated?
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 03:10:00 AM »

2pac - All Eyez On ME is already certified Diamond and Produced "Heartz of men" and "Only God Can Judge Me" so Quik has been on albums that sold millions world wide with production recognition on that album.

Quik didn't produce Only God Can Judge Me, Doug Rasheed did.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »
I've never liked him as a rapper, his production is always on point though.

This, son needs to stick to producing for others

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 05:15:38 AM »
u guys are buggin now.
i wasnt even comparin him wit Battlecat and tried to evaluate the statuses of these two.
because, just like DJ Quik ---> Battlecat is not on the same level as the Rock's, Netpunes, Primos and Dr Dre's either.

i just said that BC makes better beats from my subjective
point of view, and unlike Quik he actually gets work on his own coast.
sure, Quik is a multifaceted music-genius and all of that, but that doesnt make his hiphop-beats any better than BC Powda..

and, Battlecat's catalgoue isnt taht much different from Quik, when it comes to industry-"clout" or whatver u wanna call it.
i even learnt now taht he produced some songs for friggin
Tom Jones and early r&B-sensations like Po Broke & Lonely in the early 90's (during the years when he wasnt as active
as he is now).
so Quik isnt any "bigger" than Battlecat to me,,
and he hasnt changed the plethora of westcoast-hiphopmusic  any more than Battlecat,, not at all

i think the problem, is that people tend to
focus on typical & classic names like 2pac, EazyE, Jay-Z and Rakim -- "oh, he produced that. and he did that"

Battlecat couldve easily produced for artists like that himself,
if he was around during the right years/instances or camps at the right time.

187_skillz
ur right about that, my man.
if Quik rocked a 2-hour show, he could throw on shit,, just like those pieces u just mentioned,

but its like comparin Pete Rock wit DJ Premier, just cuz Pete Rock raps.

thing is Quik,  is a rapper too, and he has a backpack wit some of his own recognizable songs in it.
but when it comes to prouduced material for other artists, BC has a bigger catalogue.
if Battelcat played like a, uhh, let's say ... a DJ-medley of his productions for other artists, i
guarantee people would recognize his work.
Quik has only produced classics for himself and his own camp (Suga free, 2nd II none, El debarge, hi-c etc)
the only known/recognizeable song i can think of (from the last 10 years),, that Quik
produced for another artist (not related to himself or his own camp),
is probably ---> "Addictive" (Truth Hurts). and he also had a rap-verse on the westcoast remix to Chamillionaire's "Rdiin Dirty" a few years ago,, and tahts basicaly it.
and a part from that, the only known tracks, industry-wise, i can think of -- is Pac's "heartz of men" and
"lets get" for toni tony tone.

if anythin, i think BC is underrated, while Quik is  overrated
(especially on a sidetaking fanboy-forum like this).
im only being real now, just think about it..

this is a good c.v.-resumé for known songs from different industry-artists, (to me) --->
 Domino - getto jam
Kurupt - We can Freak It
Eastsidaz - G'd up, I luv It
WC- Hog, just clownin
Xzibit - get your walk on
Tha dogg Pound  - cali is active
tash - G'z is G'z
E-40/Nate Dogg - nah nah

plus,,
Lucy Pearl (Raphael Saadiq, Dawn Robinson) - You
Lil Kim - Do You Wanna Roll
Doggy's Angels - Baby If Your Ready
Raphael Saadiq - Faithful
---> and my personal favorite -- Chico & Coolwadda feat Nate Dogg ("high come down")

probably like 85 songs for Snoop Dogg  (Quik has never been popular in Snoops camp)
he was a part of "Tha LAst Meal" and most of Snoops albums

Battlecat's production-C.V. --> Dr Dre, Busta Rhyhmes, Tom Jones, Eminem, The Gap Band, Nate Dogg, Raphael Saadiq, Po' Broke & Lonely,
Brian McKnight, Faith Evans, Talib Kweli, Lil Kim, Ice Cube, Jadakiss, remixes for 2pac, , and the list goes on and on

DJ Quik himself, has rapped on Battlecat-beats.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:08:20 AM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
Ok we can both agree that they both got a nice catalog of hits and so on.
Back to your topic of discussion though, Quik is not  the GOAT of producing and neither  is BC.
He is not overrated or underrated , I do think he should get the respect and recognition that he deserves though.
As far as being a legend here on the west coast goes, yes. Him and BC belong there as  legendary producers who created their own west coast sound and have hits that we will forever love and pay tribute to. That goes without saying.
Can we end it like this Mike? Can we agree that Quik is a legend for that give the respect as a producer that he deserves?
If not, I still respect you opinion and Quik is not for everyone but he's paid his dues and he deserves his props, that's all I'm saying.
Peace 8)
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
yes very much so!

i do like his music but like one of the posters already mentioned. His experimentalism trying to branch out fucking sucks. like seriously! dude has one super GREAT album and still cant be mentioned in the likes of the chronic or doggystyle. once again i like his music but last 10 years have not treated him very well musically.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
Yo Mike, what did Battlecat produce for Eminem and Dre?

I think the main reason he is overrated because there's people who who put him on the same level as Dre. When really it's Dre, Timbaland, Primo, Neptunes, Pete Rock >>>>> Quik. Quik has never changed the game.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »

I think the main reason he is overrated because there's people who who put him on the same level as Dre. When really it's Dre, Timbaland, Primo, Neptunes, Pete Rock >>>>> Quik. Quik has never changed the game.

dj premier > anyone

maybe Dilla

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

dj premier > anyone

maybe Dilla

Yeah Dillas up there too for sure. Premo got stale to me, his last collection of heaters and innovative sounds was "The Ownerz" to me. "Who Got Gunz" was gully as fuck

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »

dj premier > anyone

maybe Dilla

Yeah Dillas up there too for sure. Premo got stale to me, his last collection of heaters and innovative sounds was "The Ownerz" to me. "Who Got Gunz" was gully as fuck
word !!!!!!!!! after tha blaq print album i don't know what happened to primo. maybe that shit dude was sayin' in the interview about drug use,etc. was true. dude is kinda sluggish puttin' shit out.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »

if i'm not mistaken. during that time he (battlecat) was signed to lydia harris label or management. also had artists ruff dogg(tha lost angelz) who had a song dissin' suge knight in 97. i wonder why he didn't work wit certain artists then like eazy. i think at that time i'd rather heard a eazy and dj quik collabo although a battlecat fan.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:10:56 PM by OG Classic Material !!!! »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

dj premier > anyone

maybe Dilla

did u ever hear Ill Bill's "Society is Brainwashed"?  came out maybe 4 years ago i'm guessing?

one of premo's best and darkest beats  8)

B.A.

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »
I don't think Quik is overrated, overlooked and slept on yes, but not overrated. I think those that know what he's done for his own music, his camp's music and for other artist know that he's the real deal and not overrated. He definitely has his own style so ofcourse not everyone is going to love his music but that doesn't mean he's overrated.

For example, Wu-Tang and RZA. I respect what the Wu has done and RZA as a producer but I don't personally like Wu-Tang's music, I've just never been into their style of rap/production. But at the same time I can't knock Wu-Tang or RZA because I still recognize the fact that they are dope at what they do but they're just not for me. Just because I'm not feeling them like other heads do doesn't mean I'ma call them overrated, you gotta give credit when credit is due.

Now for Cat vs. Quik. Ofcourse Battlecat is going to have more credits for working with other artists than Quik, that's all Battlecat ever does, he produces for other artists. DJ Quik has had 8 solo albums now and 2 more if you count The Fixxers and Blaqkout, not to mention the work he's done for people in his own crew like 2nd II None, Hi-C, AMG, Suga Free, Mausberg, etc. and his work on the Konnectid Project was tight too. So with all that you can see why he wasn't all over the place producing for other artists. Quik focuses on his music first, his crew second (earlier in his career anyway) and other artist third. Quik has always done his own thing without waiting for others to co-sign him. He did a good amount of work on Death Row projects but he wasn't relying on Death Row to blow him up, he always did his own music with his own squad. And even though Battlecat had some great credits to his name it really wasn't until Snoop started tapping him for beats that he really blew up. But it's been a while now since Snoop (or any westcoast artist for that matter) used that type of production on his albums and because of that Battlecat has been quite for a while; if no one is using that funky neck-snappin, hard hand-clappin type of beats (which is Cat at his best) then he's almost out of work. DJ Quik will alway make his own music even if he's not producing for other artists. So I really don't think it's an even comparison as far as recognition as a producer goes and who's worked with more artists, I mean yeah they are both producers but they are different.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
I don't think Quik is overrated, overlooked and slept on yes, but not overrated. I think those that know what he's done for his own music, his camp's music and for other artist know that he's the real deal and not overrated. He definitely has his own style so ofcourse not everyone is going to love his music but that doesn't mean he's overrated.

For example, Wu-Tang and RZA. I respect what the Wu has done and RZA as a producer but I don't personally like Wu-Tang's music, I've just never been into their style of rap/production. But at the same time I can't knock Wu-Tang or RZA because I still recognize the fact that they are dope at what they do but they're just not for me. Just because I'm not feeling them like other heads do doesn't mean I'ma call them overrated, you gotta give credit when credit is due.

Now for Cat vs. Quik. Ofcourse Battlecat is going to have more credits for working with other artists than Quik, that's all Battlecat ever does, he produces for other artists. DJ Quik has had 8 solo albums now and 2 more if you count The Fixxers and Blaqkout, not to mention the work he's done for people in his own crew like 2nd II None, Hi-C, AMG, Suga Free, Mausberg, etc. and his work on the Konnectid Project was tight too. So with all that you can see why he wasn't all over the place producing for other artists. Quik focuses on his music first, his crew second (earlier in his career anyway) and other artist third. Quik has always done his own thing without waiting for others to co-sign him. He did a good amount of work on Death Row projects but he wasn't relying on Death Row to blow him up, he always did his own music with his own squad. And even though Battlecat had some great credits to his name it really wasn't until Snoop started tapping him for beats that he really blew up. But it's been a while now since Snoop (or any westcoast artist for that matter) used that type of production on his albums and because of that Battlecat has been quite for a while; if no one is using that funky neck-snappin, hard hand-clappin type of beats (which is Cat at his best) then he's almost out of work. DJ Quik will alway make his own music even if he's not producing for other artists. So I really don't think it's an even comparison as far as recognition as a producer goes and who's worked with more artists, I mean yeah they are both producers but they are different.
cat was on snoop's album last year.

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
everyone one in this thread even thinking about it, listen to "Well", "Quik's Groove", "Pitch On A Party", "Sweet Black Pussy" "Somethin 4 Tha Mood", "Tonight", Pac's "Heartz Of Men" and "Tha Divorce Song". If you're still even thinking about the question, do the world a favor and drown.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »

dj premier > anyone

maybe Dilla

did u ever hear Ill Bill's "Society is Brainwashed"?  came out maybe 4 years ago i'm guessing?

one of premo's best and darkest beats  8)

Nah I stopped checking for new non phixion and necro stuff about 6 years back, hook it up though I'm keen to check it out