32 (45.1%)
Yes, a bit
17 (23.9%)
No
18 (25.4%)
Yes, very much so
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Is DJ Quik overrated?  (Read 2702 times)

Matty

Re: Is DJ Quik overrated?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
battlecat? really? i'll bite for a minute...

dude is great for what he's done but i wouldn't even bother comparing his work/sound to quik's. you've seen that recent video with Quik and BC in the studio together with a whole load of other folks. quik is on the MPC and clearly the glue to the whole thing, giving structure and direction to what's otherwise a jam session.

quik and dre is a better one and good arguments could be made either way...but quik doesn't appreciate that and says on BOD he'll shoot you for doing so :laugh:

i'd agree his vocals are part of the reason he never appealed to a broader audience so much. and a lot of bad business decisions and being around the wrong people. i don't see why quik's best years could still be ahead of him if he's inclined to keep producing. just needs to find the right direction and energy to bang out classics...the same reason why dre's struggling to do anything decent.

if you listen to some of those recent and lengthy quik interviews you get a ton of deep insight into his career and productions. you gotta respect dude for always trying to be an artist.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:04:53 PM by Matty »

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
yea man,
he was never a go-to-go guy in teh indsutry. not even on the west.
his beats ahve never been hot or interestin like that,
during his era (teh gangstarap-era), he was standin in teh shadows of other go-to-west-producers like QDIII, Pooh, Dre,  and Battlecat

rememebr his last shot at the MTV-audience? teh song he did for Jay-Z.. taht was probly his last chance, n he failed bigtime. nonoe fucked wit hm since tehn (except the usual suspects like 2nd II None and El DeBarge)

hes respectable in his field as an arranger, producer, yea sure - but he doesnt have any classic hiphop-songs on his repertoïre, like say - the Dilla's, Primo's, Dre's, Neptunes' or Rock's. and he hasnt changed teh game. he is overrated indeed

so he doesnt deserve the praise he gets imo. hes just a nerdy RogerTrotuman fan who had a hit in like 91 ("Tonite"), and were lucky enuff to work on some songs wit Eazy, Pac, Rakim and Jigga in his career

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:09:34 PM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »
i think Snoop has done liek 10 songs wit Quik in his whole career,
while BC has like 80 songs wit him

Comparison is a nonsense - Battlecat is one of Snoops 'in house' dudes....he probably sleeps on Snoops couch most of the time.

Battlecat ahs never been an inhouse producer for Snoop

just a produer that he fucked wit (liek most of the artists on the West did), unliek guys liek Quik

Matty

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
yea man,
he was never a go-to-go guy in teh indsutry. not even on the west.
his beats ahve never been hot or interestin like that,
during his era (teh gangstarap-era), he was standin in teh shadows of other go-to-west-producers like QDIII, Pooh, Dre,  and Battlecat

rememebr his last shot at the MTV-audience? teh song he did for Jay-Z.. taht was probly his last chance, n he failed bigtime. nonoe fucked wit hm since tehn (except the usual suspects like 2nd II None and El DeBarge)

hes respectable in his field as an arranger, producer, yea sure - but he doesnt have any classic hiphop-songs on his repertoïre, like say - the Dilla's, Primo's, Dre's, Neptunes' or Rock's. and he hasnt changed teh game. he is overrated indeed

so he doesnt deserve the praise he gets imo. hes just a nerdy RogerTrotuman fan who had a hit in like 91 ("Tonite"), and were lucky enuff to work on some songs wit Eazy, Pac, Rakim and Jigga in his career

lol, there's too much to even begin addressing in this post. of course its totally subjective, but i'd say his sound is more transcendent of what's normally considered to be hip hop than most those other cats. classic records? 'let's get down' is one of the best crossover records ever. easily better than anything battlecat has ever done (sorry battlecat). not that's his only classic record, but it's well recognised and with a known act. but that shouldn't matter when evaluating the merits of music - sales and affiliations...

quik's strength is definitely in MUSIC production though. i'd say he hasn't had a chance to work with some of the better vocalists out there. i'd concede his ear for upcoming rappers seems to be a lil dubious at times tho. but the small amount of stuff he did with nate dogg is superb, 2pac he engineered/mixed/co-produced at least half of AEOM. i'd list almost all of his production discography as musically classic and a decent amount as classic tracks in their own way, mainstream success or not.

V2DHeart

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
A lot of people say that Jay Z was DJ Quiks big or last chance, but I think people are forgetting about Ludacris, Game, Snoop - All these house hold names that are big commercially, as well as people who had a brief run like Chingy, and Chamillionaire, even Nick Cannon recently lol.

The thing about Quik is, that he does a lot of "paid" work uncredited. An example is the work he done on 2Pac tracks, and 50 cent tracks. 2 of their biggest albums had a lot of Quik work, and even recently Mann with his album. He does a lot that isn't credited, and that's the difference. Searchable credits online aren't even giving people the full picture to Quiks level and range of work and influence in the industry
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

bouli77

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
Only by hardcore 90s west coast rap fans. He's always been overlooked as a hip hop producer. His biggest problem is he wastes his best production on himself. He's not Kanye, he doesn't have the charisma on the mic to carry an album to greatness.

exactly, i mean he does have some charisma, but not on some super rap star level. i think westcoast fans overrate him but just a bit, and rap fans in general criminally sleep on him. i remember talking to a friend a long time ago, a beatmaker, very much into 90's eastcoast hip hop, and i was praising Quik and he was like "yeah quik's alrite but it's not like his shit is very elaborate", lol i didn't have the courage to break it down for him.

Quik is highly respected in the industry, and has more clout than Battlecat, that's for sure. He's like the E-40 of production, ignored by most fans, respected by the legends. Dre, 2pac, B.I.G., Pete Rock, Erick Sermon, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Mariah Carey, Roger Troutman, Debarge have all either collab'd or praised Quik's skills. Legends like Erick Sermon have expressed the desire to do collabo albums with Quik. Now Battlecat has had his fair share of success, and I like him a lot but he's mostly known for being a niche producer, with those gangsta claps that he did for Snoop, E-40 & Dub-C in the late 90's, mid 00's, nothing else really. Quik's legacy is much bigger.

About him failing big time with his Jay-Z beat, i don't think so, i think it worked out well and this song has been well received. just getting that kind of placement is a form of recognition. You'll never hear BC Powda on a Jay-Z album, that's for sure.

I do believe Quik should have branched out after Rhythm-al-ism like Stan Sheppard wanted him to do. This dude is way bigger than rap, he could have brought his touch to r'n'b and other genres.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
u guys r readin into it.
im not really focusin on his musicality.  
im focusin on his name in teh indsutry,, why does he deserve to be hailed as this perfect/ultimate/legendary
hiphop-producer?
what does his C.V. look like? classic song-productions for other artists? does he have that?
did he change the lane of the game like the Primo's, Nepteuns, Dre's and Dillas did?
no, not by faaaar

dude and his "beats" have never been hot or interestin like that.

he never even had love on the west, like Battelcat. everybody fucked wit BC. everyone

Quik - had his own familytree. 2nd II None, Mausberg, Hi-C, El DeBArge.. and tahts basicaly it
how come Snoop never co-signed him?

u can count all these classic West Coast-songs BC have done for all the acts on the west (u can't do that wit Quik)
not to say taht BC is better than Quik (cuz tahts subjective, i personly prefer BC-beats over Quik-beats myself),
but he always had more work than him

Quiks last chance was Jay-Z and Ludacris,, and that was like 10 years ago. and if he cant even get any work on the west, hes nothin. smh, Bun B charged him like 100000$ for a verse, and Quik coughed it up. does a "legend" do that?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:45:45 PM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

Quadruple OG

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »
u guys r readin into it.
im not really focusin on his musicality.  
im focusin on his name in teh indsutry,, why does he deserve to be hailed as this perfect/ultimate/legendary
hiphop-producer?
what does his C.V. look like? classic song-productions for other artists? does he have that?
did he change the lane of the game like the Primo's, Nepteuns, Dre's and Dillas did?
no, not by faaaar

dude and his "beats" have never been hot or interestin like that.

he never even had love on the west, like Battelcat. everybody fucked wit BC. everyone

Quik - had his own familytree. 2nd II None, Mausberg, Hi-C, El DeBArge.. and tahts basicaly it
how come Snoop never co-signed him?

u can count all these classic West Coast-songs BC have done for all the acts on the west (u can't do that wit Quik)
not to say taht BC is better than Quik (cuz tahts subjective, i personly prefer BC-beats over Quik-beats myself),
but he always had more work than him

Quiks last chance was Jay-Z and Ludacris,, and that was like 10 years ago. and if he cant even get any work on the west, hes nothin. smh, Bun B charged him like 100000$ for a verse, and Quik coughed it up. does a "legend" do that?

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
Only by hardcore 90s west coast rap fans. He's always been overlooked as a hip hop producer. His biggest problem is he wastes his best production on himself. He's not Kanye, he doesn't have the charisma on the mic to carry an album to greatness.

exactly, i mean he does have some charisma, but not on some super rap star level. i think westcoast fans overrate him but just a bit, and rap fans in general criminally sleep on him. i remember talking to a friend a long time ago, a beatmaker, very much into 90's eastcoast hip hop, and i was praising Quik and he was like "yeah quik's alrite but it's not like his shit is very elaborate", lol i didn't have the courage to break it down for him.

Quik is highly respected in the industry, and has more clout than Battlecat, that's for sure. He's like the E-40 of production, ignored by most fans, respected by the legends. Dre, 2pac, B.I.G., Pete Rock, Erick Sermon, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Mariah Carey, Roger Troutman, Debarge have all either collab'd or praised Quik's skills. Legends like Erick Sermon have expressed the desire to do collabo albums with Quik. Now Battlecat has had his fair share of success, and I like him a lot but he's mostly known for being a niche producer, with those gangsta claps that he did for Snoop, E-40 & Dub-C in the late 90's, mid 00's, nothing else really. Quik's legacy is much bigger.

About him failing big time with his Jay-Z beat, i don't think so, i think it worked out well and this song has been well received. just getting that kind of placement is a form of recognition. You'll never hear BC Powda on a Jay-Z album, that's for sure.

I do believe Quik should have branched out after Rhythm-al-ism like Stan Sheppard wanted him to do. This dude is way bigger than rap, he could have brought his touch to r'n'b and other genres.

lol @ "clout"

Battlecat has worked wit Dr Dre, Eminem, Talib Kweli, Lil' Kim, Rapahel Saadiq, probably 100 songs for Snoop etc etc

theres no bigger difference between BC and Quiks production-c.v.

compare their discog-catalogues

Quadruple OG

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

lol @ "clout"

Battlecat has worked wit Dr Dre, Eminem, Talib Kweli, Lil' Kim, Rapahel Saadiq, probably 100 songs for Snoop etc etc

theres no bigger difference between BC and Quiks production-c.v.

compare their discog-catalogues

Quik has worked with 2pac, Snoop, Eazy-E, Jay-Z, Rakim, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Maroon 5

You're doing a great job of trolling.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
^why are au goin back and forth wit me like u feel insulted or some shit, kid?

like i said, BC's and Quiks catalgoe are not taht much different.
BC wasnt even active like that when Pac died and Eazy died.
BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around their camps back then
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:02:51 PM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

V2DHeart

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
Maroon 5 are pop, and they reached out to him, and the lead singer had one of the biggest hits last year. I'd say that was pretty impressive
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Quadruple OG

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around their camps back then

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »

Battlecat produced a remix of Temptations in 1995, it was a b-side on singles

wonder why he never did anything else for Pac though

bouli77

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »

BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around back then

he was active by then, he produced Domino's self titled project, which went gold, he had placements on gold-selling albums (AmeriKKKa's Nightmare), he was producing the Bangin On Wax albums, he was producing for Michael Jackson's protégés (Quo), he also was doing remixes left and right,  even producing for Tom Jones & Dana Dane lmao, he just didn't have the same status as DJ Quik who was a frontman, with a sizable contract on Profile Records and who was estabished nationwide.

but the argument you're making isn't clear, what are you trying to say ? that he's not a game changing producer ? well he's not in the same league as Dre, Pete Rock & Primo and Large Professor, but he's kinda underrated, as he did a lot of uncredited work (or semi credited) on some of the biggest records (AEOM and a lot of Aftermath related stuff). i'm not sayin he's the goat or anything, you ask if he's underrated, i say in general yes