32 (45.1%)
Yes, a bit
17 (23.9%)
No
18 (25.4%)
Yes, very much so
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Is DJ Quik overrated?  (Read 2665 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Is DJ Quik overrated?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
^why are au goin back and forth wit me like u feel insulted or some shit, kid?

like i said, BC's and Quiks catalgoe are not taht much different.
BC wasnt even active like that when Pac died and Eazy died.
BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around back then

he wa active by then, he produced Domino's self titled project, which went gold, he had placements on gold-selling albums (AmeriKKKa's Nightmare), he was producing the Bangin On Wax albums, he was producing for Michael Jackson's protégés (Quo), he also was doing remixes left and right,  even producing for Tom Jones & Dana Dane lmao, he just didn't have the same status as DJ Quik who was a frontman, with a sizable contract on Profile Records and who was estabished nationwide.

but the argument you're making isn't clear, what are you trying to say ? that he's not a game changing producer ? well he's not in the same league as Dre, Pete Rock & Primo and Large Professor, but he's kinda underrated, as he did a lot of uncredited work (or semi credited) on some of the biggest records (AEOM and a lot of Aftermath related stuff). i'm not sayin he's the goat or anything, you ask if he's underrated, i say in general yes

BC wasnt really active in the indsutry in the early 90's. he was known as DJ Battleact.
he got his break wit "We can Freak it" for Kurupt.
and Snoop solidified him as a "go-to-guy-producer" when he called on him for the Eastsidaz-projects. he was just a guy who had some -b-side remixes on 12inches before that, save one or 2 songs on OST's and projects every now n then.

and during the short time BC have had, he produced for Eminem, Dre, Talib Kweli, Lil Kim, Raphael Saadiq, Tyrese, Xzibit, Brain McKnight, Faith Evans plus every westcoast-artist in history (he has a vast production-repertoïre wit classics for everybody and their mama on the west)

i dont really c a big difference between his so-called "clout" and Mr Quik.

the point wasnt even to compare the 2 guys wit each other to begin with,
i was focusin on Quik, and the way people tend to hail him as this "industry-legend".. which is weird, when he can't even get work on his own coast, or get co-signed by Snoop.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:23:24 PM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

bouli77

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »
BC wasnt really active in the indsutry in the early 90's. he was known as DJ Battleact.
he got his break wit "We can Freak it" for Kurupt.
and Snoop solidified him as a "go-to-guy-producer" when he called on him for the Eastsidaz-projects. he was just a guy who had some -b-side remixes on 12inches before that, save one or 2 songs on OST's and projects every now n then.

and during the short time BC have had, he produced for Eminem, Dre, Talib Kweli, Lil Kim, Raphael Saadiq, Tyrese, Xzibit, Brain McKnight, Faith Evans plus every westcoast-artist in history (he has a vast production-repertoïre wit classics for everybody and their mama on the west)

i dont really c a big difference between his so-called "clout" and Mr Quik.

the point wasnt even to compare the 2 guys wit each other to begin with,
i was focusin on Quik, and the way people tend to hail him as this "industry-legend".. which is weird, when he can't even get work on his own coast, or get co-signed by Snoop.

he produced Domino's self titled album in 1993 which went gold, with the lead single Getto Jam also going gold, a feat that neither Kurupt nor We Can Freak It achieved. he produced a song on AmeriKKKa's Nightmare in 1994, which went also gold. And he produced for big names like WC & the Maad Circle and Kam (DJ Quik also produced on that album, by the way), talk about not being active. he wasn't visible like Quik, but he was active.

Quik was co-signed by Snoop, in 98 when he appeared on Rhythm-al-ism, and on No Limit Top Dogg the following year, not to mention the producer team that Snoop put together consisting of Quik & Teddy Riley in 08. that didn't last but that's co-sign to me. the thing is Quik is an egotist, and he has his own brand and his own clique.

People tend him to hail him as an industry legend because he does so himself, and because the amount of classic material he seems to be responsible for during a legendary period of time. Battlecat wasn't visible during the "true school era" as some people call it, when Quik was coming up strong and making a name for himself, associating himself with the likes of Eazy E, 2pac, even R. Kelly & Erick Sermon and Death Row Records.

I agree with you, there's not much of a difference between BC & Quik production wise, they both legends. but the fact that he is a frontman with a host of albums to his name that kicked it with all the legends (i guess if you go to Shaq, Raphael Saadiq or Dr Dre they would be more prone to tell you an anecdote about them & Quik than about them and BC, assuming they have one), an egotist that loves to boast (as opposed to Battlecat who's reserved), a rapper that's also a multi-instrumentalist gives a greater aura to Quik than to Battlecat.

as Dom Kennedy puts it, "it's me, Quik, Cube & Snoop, it's not a floop"

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »
yea man,
he was never a go-to-go guy in teh indsutry. not even on the west.
his beats ahve never been hot or interestin like that,
during his era (teh gangstarap-era), he was standin in teh shadows of other go-to-west-producers like QDIII, Pooh, Dre,  and Battlecat

rememebr his last shot at the MTV-audience? teh song he did for Jay-Z.. taht was probly his last chance, n he failed bigtime. nonoe fucked wit hm since tehn (except the usual suspects like 2nd II None and El DeBarge)

hes respectable in his field as an arranger, producer, yea sure - but he doesnt have any classic hiphop-songs on his repertoïre, like say - the Dilla's, Primo's, Dre's, Neptunes' or Rock's. and he hasnt changed teh game. he is overrated indeed

so he doesnt deserve the praise he gets imo. hes just a nerdy RogerTrotuman fan who had a hit in like 91 ("Tonite"), and were lucky enuff to work on some songs wit Eazy, Pac, Rakim and Jigga in his career

lol, there's too much to even begin addressing in this post. of course its totally subjective, but i'd say his sound is more transcendent of what's normally considered to be hip hop than most those other cats. classic records? 'let's get down' is one of the best crossover records ever. easily better than anything battlecat has ever done (sorry battlecat). not that's his only classic record, but it's well recognised and with a known act. but that shouldn't matter when evaluating the merits of music - sales and affiliations...

quik's strength is definitely in MUSIC production though. i'd say he hasn't had a chance to work with some of the better vocalists out there. i'd concede his ear for upcoming rappers seems to be a lil dubious at times tho. but the small amount of stuff he did with nate dogg is superb, 2pac he engineered/mixed/co-produced at least half of AEOM. i'd list almost all of his production discography as musically classic and a decent amount as classic tracks in their own way, mainstream success or not.

OG Matty
everythin is subjective, specially when it comes to music.
i wasnt interested in delving into Quik musicaly. i wanted to focus on his "clout" in this thread,
and see if his so-called "legend/GOAT-status" in teh game is called for.
does he have a C.V.-repertoire of hits
and known songs in his backpack/did he leave a mark in the indsutry? did he change the epitome of hiphop in any type of way?
or does he have a big following, multiplatinum albums?
classic albums? no (not even "rhythm-al-ism" has ever been hailed as a top-50 bonafied hiphop-classic production-wise, in the media)

so how can anyone rate him as the "goat"? he doesnt deserve to be put in the same list as the likes
of the Primo's, Rock's, Dr Dre's, Neptunes and Dilla's..

and the only work Quik gets today, is if he mixes an album. like he mixed the Snoop and Murs' albums, thats what
hes good for. 
why is it so hard for Quik to get beats sold on his own coast?

Snoop have done like 10 songs wit him at teh most, he was never co-signed by the king of california

but if u want to talk about his music.. i'll try
i dont care how much of an arranger or musician Quik is. or how schooled he is on music.
his beats have never been magnificent or interestin like that.
hes a nerdy engineer who likes to fuck around in the studio wit equipment

hes an expert when it comes to the sonic aspects of music-production,
but I would never ever evaluate hiphop-producer "greatness" like that.
either u make dope shit or not.
not to say that he can't make dope beats, but hes not an expert in that territory,, hence -why
he has never been a popular "go-to-guy" in the industry (not even on his own darn coast).
im a huge fan of Quik myself, i loved "book of david" - but overall, westcoast-producer Battlecat (as an example)
is superior on his MPC's and
drummachines, he understands the basics of "hit and miss"/"Dope shit", he doesnt get carried away like Mr Quik and his
"music professor"-foolishness.
so trutfully - wether Quik were a orchestrator or not in some jam-sessions, is not relevant at all to me

my 2 cents
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:06:30 PM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
Yeah mike definitely did a shitty job of trolling (this should be renamed to DJ Quik vs Battlecat).  

Quik is by far superior to Battlecat in everyway (and obviously I fuck with both).  Nobody really knows who Battlecat is, verses Quik where even 5 years olds have even heard of him.  U ask a little kid or even maybe someone my age who Battlecat is and they'll probably give u a blank stare.  And Quik's track record is longer than Cats, how is that even in question?

And tbh as much as I respect Quik and really need him to stay around he is a little overrated, just like Warren G ("Leave You Alone" is bangin and killin em on the radio tho lol).  Quik is an original and I love his originality and I can also relate to his music.  But Common and Barbra Streisand (milf) are overrated so it's to be expected sometimes when the greats and legends are being discussed...   Quik's albums usually have more quantity than quality IMO, there's only so much that sticks with you.  

He's in Jeezy's new video (produced by MikeWill) so he's still out there.  U still can't really mention Westcoast Hip Hop or classic Hip Hop without mentioning DJ Quik.  He still has that going for him.  Compton is the California home of Icons, then Oakland and Long Beach.  I fuck with Battlecat (Stoners Anthem still gets play and I'm talkin about the newer version which I like more even tho that 1 guitar melody is pretty gay  but he's not really touchin Quik regardless of his accomplishments.  And technically Dr. Dre doesn't even make beats, he conducts it [atleast that's what they say]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:24:18 PM by Hollywood Bilderberg Group™ »

awol22222

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »

BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around back then
he was producing the Bangin On Wax albums
He only produced the tittle track.

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
Underrated.

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 06:10:21 PM »

BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around their camps back then

lol,
do u always spill coffe on ur computer keyboard when u stumble upon people on teh net who doent agree wit you?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:14:18 PM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

Quadruple OG

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »

BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around their camps back then

lol,
do u always spill coffe on ur computer keyboard when u stumble upon people on teh net who doent agree wit you?

Just encouraging you buddy. Doing a good job with this ridiculous thread

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:40:27 AM by OG Reality Check »

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
on dubcc yes, real life no. id say he gets his credit but how many dope beats has he fucked up with his bullshit raps?

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

westside159

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »
I like some of Quiks music , but not all of it . On this forum he is overrated , but in the music industry hes not

westside159

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 10:38:09 PM »
yea man,
he was never a go-to-go guy in teh indsutry. not even on the west.
his beats ahve never been hot or interestin like that,
during his era (teh gangstarap-era), he was standin in teh shadows of other go-to-west-producers like QDIII, Pooh, Dre,  and Battlecat

rememebr his last shot at the MTV-audience? teh song he did for Jay-Z.. taht was probly his last chance, n he failed bigtime. nonoe fucked wit hm since tehn (except the usual suspects like 2nd II None and El DeBarge)

hes respectable in his field as an arranger, producer, yea sure - but he doesnt have any classic hiphop-songs on his repertoïre, like say - the Dilla's, Primo's, Dre's, Neptunes' or Rock's. and he hasnt changed teh game. he is overrated indeed

so he doesnt deserve the praise he gets imo. hes just a nerdy RogerTrotuman fan who had a hit in like 91 ("Tonite"), and were lucky enuff to work on some songs wit Eazy, Pac, Rakim and Jigga in his career

Your trippin now , your saying Quik doesnt have any hits ? What about  Born and raised in compton , tonight , Hand & hand , You'z a gangsta , Trouble ,  etc etc not a big Quik fan but he got some cuts

Sikotic™

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 10:59:01 PM »
I ignore his work after Under The Influence. Since I do that, he has an almost flawless catalog.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

BG Dresta

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »

he was producing the Bangin On Wax albums
He only produced the tittle track.

steady dippin'?

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »
Mike, I respect your opinions and respect your enthusiasm for the west coast music. I know you know your shit when it comes to music my dude but your  way off when you compare quik with battlecat.
you should compare battlecat with fredwreck since they both have a similar resume. One of your biggest arguments was the fact that snoop has worked more with BC than quik has and thats a weak argument.
Quik has a bigger catalog than BC and quik has more hits commercially and regular album cuts than BC. I love BC sound and his signature sound, he is a dope producer but quik has hits long enough to do a 2 hr concert that people can rock to at a show. BC selection of songs of all the rappers hes worked with is minimum and the avg fan wouldn't know unless your a die hard BC fan ya feel me?
plus quik can also produce R&B songs and you can also hear some jazz influence in his songs as well. Hence range of music and sound. BC has some R&B production but is not really known for his R&B shit but they ain't as big as Quiks R&B Songs.

let me show some of quiks work and try to match BC's work with quik.

Suga Free - Street Gospel. A westcoast Classic entirely produced by Quik and the biggist hits off that was "why u bullshittin" and id rather "give you my bitch" and "stay ready"

2pac - All Eyez On ME is already certified Diamond and Produced "Heartz of men" and "Only God Can Judge Me" so Quik has been on albums that sold millions world wide with production recognition on that album.

Truth Hurts - Addictive #1 single in 2002 for weeks

Dr Dre - put it on me
uncredited production for 50 cent "in da club" (typical Dre move)

Toni Tony Tone' - Let's get down - an instant hit even today when played at clubs and especially at his shows.

Danny Boy - its about time - R&b Album

I'm Not even gonna go into his own albums cuz thats its own segment

and some big names He's work with or produced for is obviously Snoop, Dr Dre, Dogg pound, Xzibit, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Jay-z, Jeezy, Luda, Chingy, TQ, Do Or Die, Busta Rhymes, Eazy-e, Ice Cube, Jermaine Dupri, Shaq, Adina Howard, Deborah Cox, The Game, Jon B Etc.....

Do That with Battlecat, let me help you out

Domino - getto jam
Kurupt - We can Freak It
Eastsidaz - G'd up, I luv It
WC- Hog, just clownin
Xzibit - get your walk on
Tha dogg Pound  - cali is active
tash - G'z is G'z
E-40 - nah nah
fill in the rest...........................
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

doggfather

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »
I like some of Quiks music , but not all of it . On this forum he is overrated , but in the music industry hes not
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ