32 (45.1%)
Yes, a bit
17 (23.9%)
No
18 (25.4%)
Yes, very much so
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Is DJ Quik overrated?  (Read 2655 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Re: Is DJ Quik overrated?
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
Yo Mike, what did Battlecat produce for Eminem and Dre?

I think the main reason he is overrated because there's people who who put him on the same level as Dre. When really it's Dre, Timbaland, Primo, Neptunes, Pete Rock >>>>> Quik. Quik has never changed the game.

dj premier > anyone

maybe Dilla

Yeah Dillas up there too for sure. Premo got stale to me, his last collection of heaters and innovative sounds was "The Ownerz" to me. "Who Got Gunz" was gully as fuck

did u ever hear Ill Bill's "Society is Brainwashed"?  came out maybe 4 years ago i'm guessing?

one of premo's best and darkest beats  8)

Nah I stopped checking for new non phixion and necro stuff about 6 years back, hook it up though I'm keen to check it out

<--official video

BG Dresta

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »
somethin' 4 tha mood >>

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
somethin' 4 tha mood >>

one of the best beats ever 8)

safe and sound is a great summer album

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »

I think the main reason he is overrated because there's people who who put him on the same level as Dre. When really it's RZA >>>>> Dre, Timbaland, Primo, Neptunes, Pete Rock >>>>> Quik. Quik has never changed the game.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 12:55:28 AM »

I think the main reason he is overrated because there's people who who put him on the same level as Dre. When really it's RZA >>>>> Dre, Timbaland, Primo, Neptunes, Pete Rock >>>>> Quik. Quik has never changed the game.

Yeah RZA produced a lot of classics during that 5 year plan. It all comes down to preference with those top tier producers.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »
Lol only on this forum does this type of shit happen.

Lets take a guy who is unanomously voted as underrated, skip giving him his proper credit, and skyrocket straight to calling him overrated.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »
Voted 'Yes, a bit'. He has definately fallen off with his last few projects..... trouble with Quik is that his sound changes with each album, whereas with Battlecat, he doesn't venture too far out from his signature sound.... tbh, I only kept one song off BOD and nothing from the Blaqkout album.

I'd rate BC on the same level with Quik, production wise.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
Overrated?? You mean underrated right? Dj Quik is what Hip Hop is all about. He can rap, he's a DJ and he's a producer. He can do it all.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

Yeah RZA produced a lot of classics during that 5 year plan. It all comes down to preference with those top tier producers.

RZA gets the edge over Dre for me, because he accomplished what Dre did while making his own beats.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

I think the main reason he is overrated because there's people who who put him on the same level as Dre. When really it's Dre, Timbaland, Primo, Neptunes, Pete Rock >>>>> Quik. Quik has never changed the game.

dj premier > anyone

maybe Dilla

Yeah Dillas up there too for sure. Premo got stale to me, his last collection of heaters and innovative sounds was "The Ownerz" to me. "Who Got Gunz" was gully as fuck

did u ever hear Ill Bill's "Society is Brainwashed"?  came out maybe 4 years ago i'm guessing?

one of premo's best and darkest beats  8)

Nah I stopped checking for new non phixion and necro stuff about 6 years back, hook it up though I'm keen to check it out

<--official video

Yeah that shit is dope, dark as fuck. I hate those conspiracy theory raps though lol.

He's obviously still got it but it's like he's uninspired. The beat he gave Game sounded like a throwaway that was collecting dust, shit maybe it was, but considering it would have been one of his biggest commercial placements in a long ass time you'd think he'd wanna give him the best he had in the stash

Dopeisjay

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
Quik will forever be a legend as far as production and sound goes.
He just need's to stick with a consistent style and sound, and not
go from making classics to some dumb simple shit to try and appeal to
the younger crowd just to try and get attention.some simple half ass music
music may appeal to some at present time, but will eventually fade off to nothing,
As to doing real music from the heart and soul and putting every ounce of emotion
into it, that's real music that will remain timeless. that's why rhythm-al-ism never ages
was just a real diverse sound fusing all these different types of music together
and pushing em out with real emotion.

MistaNova

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
He's overrated on this forum. But underrated everywhere else.

gfunkin2

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
everyone one in this thread even thinking about it, listen to "Well", "Quik's Groove", "Pitch On A Party", "Sweet Black Pussy" "Somethin 4 Tha Mood", "Tonight", Pac's "Heartz Of Men" and "Tha Divorce Song". If you're still even thinking about the question, do the world a favor and drown.

Add "We Still Party" to the mix too.

I'm a BC fan myself, too. He has a lot of good/great beats. But mind-blowing ones? I'd only put Let's Go Play in that category tbh.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2012, 04:56:48 AM »

Dr Dre, Snoop feat. Butch Cassidy "Just Dippin (Remix)"
Slip Capone, Dr. Dre, Knoc Turn Al - "doin the most"
Hittman feat. Eminem "Front Page Stardom" [o.g.]

exactly.
to me, --> Quik is not on the same level as Dr Dre and those guys (as a game-changer or as a "legend").
hence - why its crazy to me that some ppl hail him as the best taht ever did it or some shit. its like hes being treated like Quincy Jones in the hiphop-media or forums these days. lol, hes overrated IMO

i'd say Battelcat has contributed more to westcoast-hiphop than Quik
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:13:20 AM by OG Mike Madsen (your mother's boytoy) »

thegooddoc

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:23 AM »
Did somebody really try to compare Quik to Dre?  He is a great producer and all, but I think that is getting carried away. 

Between Quik and Battlecat though, I would definitely have to go with Quik.  Both were extremely talented and have great discographies, I just like Quik sound a tad bit better.