32 (45.1%)
Yes, a bit
17 (23.9%)
No
18 (25.4%)
Yes, very much so
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Is DJ Quik overrated?  (Read 2657 times)

awol22222

Re: Is DJ Quik overrated?
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »
^why are au goin back and forth wit me like u feel insulted or some shit, kid?

like i said, BC's and Quiks catalgoe are not taht much different.
BC wasnt even active like that when Pac died and Eazy died.
BC would surely have produced for thsoe acts as well, if he was around back then
he was producing the Bangin On Wax albums
He only produced the tittle track.

steady dippin'?
No, but he did keyboards on the song and has a cameo in the music video. It was produce by Ronnie Ron and QLuso.
http://www.rapmusicguide.com/amass/images/inventory/980/Bloods%20%26%20Crips%20-%20Bangin%20On%20Wax%20open.jpg

un0mic

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Aaaaaaannnd weeeeeee'reeeeee baaaaaaaaack!!!
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »
hell naw
Wowzers!
L.A.M.B. Bitch!
-M.O.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
No he isnt overrated.  Hes good at what he does, as some others have already said.  And hes also a guy who hasnt jumped ship from his niche to try and make rick ross beats which is commendable because the final product is better that way. 
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
no,

cause i dont know what his rating is.
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

b.laden

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »
never been a big fan but he's cool .. Quik'music  is soft ( in a good way).

Mak_Corleone

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »
Oh yeah, Quik also worked with Will Smith "Block Party" & Rick James "Hard To Get". Those songs are BANGIN!!!!

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
LMAO @ you fags talkin shit about Dj premier

you serious??

caffeinefiend

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2012, 01:47:38 AM »
He has a lot of fans on this forum etc but pretty hard to call him overrated in general.

But he certainly has a very high opinion of himself. Funny to read the interviews where he's coming off as the musical genius of the century even when he's saying that he's just getting into arranging. :D It's like his gimmick. Actually I wonder who he's trying to convince more, himself or us.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
i noticed that too. teh arrogance runs deep in mr Quik. hes not even in the same lane as Dr Dre or DJ Premier as a game-changing legend or creative genius..
just like Curtis "50 cent" Jackson, i really like his interviews though - the funny Napoleon-syndrome calls for an entertaining read every time  8)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:35:29 PM by OG Michael Madsen »

jman91331

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
If you ask me, people get confused regarding Quik because of this:

DJ Quik is great at making his type of beats, untouched in hiphop perhaps. But that's basically what he's limited to: He's a master at making smooth, melodious beats but beyond that he's simply decent. For example, his harder beats like, say, 'Fandango' or 'Justify My Thug', usually work (at least for me) but they are not on a different level. What's more, DJ Quik does not make tailormade beats for artists. Instead, the artist has to adjust to the type of beat DJ Quik makes.

With the overall greats, this quality is there. A Dr. Dre can adjust his sound to the artist and make it work even if it is outside of his normal work. Compare Dr. Dre's goofy production for Eminem to the generally weird and ergetic beats he gave Busta Rhymes to the thumping beats he gave Xzibit to the smooth beats he gave Snoop. A truly great producer uses his artist as an instrument and adjusts his other instruments to them. That's not to say Dr. Dre has not done his fair share of throw aways or passed beats along to different artists but...when he puts effort into it, his beats will fit the artist they accompany. The same is true of say, Timbaland or The Neptunes. They don't just deliver musical product, they create YOUR musical product.
DJ Quik on the other hand, makes his beats first and foremost for himself and if other artists want to use them, he'll consider it but they'll have to play between the fences in his musical playfield. He's not going to relocate those fences. I don't think it's a coincedence that, to me at least, Suga Free is DJ Quik's muse: They fit each other's styles perfectly but neither is very versatile, despite Quik's efforts to prove otherwise.

As for Battlecat, I'd say he's more like DJ Quik in this regard: Great at what he does, but limited to a small playfield.
I'd actually rate Fredwreck over both overall.
that's not 100% true. Although Quik's specialty is that smooth, funky shit, if you listen to Maussberg's album you can tell Quik made them rough, harder type beats to fit Maussberg's gritty, gangsta style. The same can be said for Suga Free's !st album. You can tell those type of beats were made just for him. So in some cases Quik can make beats that fit a particular artist.

jman91331

« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
I could and should have expected that using Dr. Dre was to open up a can of worms and the mouths of his detractors. Perhaps your sentiments of Dr. Dre taking credit for other people's work are justified, but they amount to rumour, gossip and exaggaration at this point. You might be right about them, but they're speculations and from often unreliable sources too. In this case, I'd rather believe Snoop who can be very harsh about people near to him yet praises Dre as a producer, than the likes of Big Hutch or 2Pac who were both out to tarnish or even destroy Dre's career at the time. Also, take note of the fact that Quik himself regrets doing 'U ain't fresh!' and acknowledges Dr. Dre as a producer superior to himself.

You're right that Dr. Dre is perhaps not much of a beatmaker...but then that would not really disprove my point that as a producer and mixer, which is his forte, he is very good, simple and plain. What Dr. Dre's critics about his alleged taking-credit-habit generally ignore or fail to realise is that he brushes up other people's beats and that this is just as much bringing greatness to a record is as making a skeleton beat.

You're right that, generally, Dr. Dre would not create beats from scratch whereas Quik does, but Dre's final touch lifts beats up to the level of productions. Quik does make beats from scratch and yes, he does add his own producer's touch...but, to me at least, he's more limited in the latter department than Dr. Dre is. And please, don't assume that beatmaking equals producing because it does not.

As for the suggestions that DJ Quik would have shone more if he hadn't stuck too his crew...that might be true, but that also amounts to speculation. We can't judge him or anyone on things they might have created but didn't.

I have to admit I don't like how this thread has now turned into a Dr. Dre is better/DJ Quik is better contest, but there you are.

Any takers for or takes on my 'DJ Quik should have joined Dogghouse' thought?
I noticed a lot of people on here assume that Dr. Dre takes other peple's beats and makes them better. But from what I read from various people regarding Dre, the beat usually starts & ends with Dre. Usually Dre will already have a rough skeleton of a beat laid down like the drums and he'll either have musicians & co-producers add their own input/ideas , or he'll pretty much know the direction he wants the beat to go in & he'll either play a rough idea on a keyboard & have musicians replay it better, or he'll hum some shit he wants them to play. Or he'll play a sample he wants to use and have them replay/recreate it to his liking. I think the only time he'll take someone's already completed track and enhance it or make it better, you can see in the credits as additional production by Dr. Dre (like Game's Hate It Or Love It, or Busta Rhyme's Been Through the Storm for example) but if it says Produced by Dr. Dre (rather if it's his name alone or a with a co-producer) you can best believe he had  the biggest hand in the production and beat making of the track. Most people on here take a former collaborator's word of Dre stealing credit as gold. But you gotta understand most people in this music game have humongous egos & feel they're deserved more than what they actually get.  But you look at they shit without Dre & that shit is ass or average at best compared to the shit done with Dre.But Quik is that nigga when it comes to production too. He can just play keys a lil better than Dre so he's a lil more hands-on so his beats sound a lil more signature in a sense. But they both have a good ear for the musicians they use to help them with they shit. They both know who/what works for them.

polepositon

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »
Are  y'all serious. There's no other in hip who will EVER do it better.
If the links don't work, the songs are change the game and shut up nigga. Just ta name a
few.

Evil-Skeet

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
He has some of my fav production, but imo he has silly ass rapping

and i hate his hair

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »
DJ Quik is the most talented artist in hip-hop period. He is certainly not overrated.
Nobody can make beats like him on his level as well as rap and write all his music.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
DJ Quik is the most talented artist in hip-hop period.

he is not