Author Topic: Nas "Life Is Good" Listening Party Reviews  (Read 718 times)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Nas "Life Is Good" Listening Party Reviews
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »
A shiny red Dell lay centre-stage helmed by DJ D. Prizzy, as a fresh-faced Nas calmly sipped a bottle of champagne to one side behind the speakers, a fat unlit cigar in hand. Dressed in dark Gucci shades and two gold diamond chains, a tattoo poked out from above the rapper’s white vest, paired with striped shirt, white jeans and matching Adidas shelltoes. Blaring through stacked speakers with healthy bass, little information was provided on each track – the music spoke for itself.

“So I decided, now I’m in charge” – the first track opened with Nas verbally attacking the beat, fluid storytelling and personal, reflective lyrics flowing passionately over an even-paced, thumping bassline. “Some of y’all might know Kelis; this goes to her with love…” My eyes wander to the green gown draped over his leg on the album cover.
“I live it and I speak it, my religion is Ether” he spits ferociously on the next number, with a raging guitar opener and lyrical flow representing well “for my trapped in the ’90s n***as.”

Loaded with rich orchestral samples, solid basslines and a fighting flow from the lyricist, the playback session earned reload after reload, Swizz Beatz nodding fiercly in a Life Is Good fitted cap as he stood next to Nas, whose crew rocked animatedly behind the decks, 20 deep.
The opening notes of “Daughters” brought Nas rapidly back to front of stage, framed by the speakers, mic in hand, passionately reciting the lyrics live over the track just inches from the front row of the eager, receptive listeners.

“This is some ghetto ****, this is how it supposed to be though,” Nas smiled from the stage at the hot, reactive room. “It’s a very nice place, we made it hood though!” Acknowledging fellow fathers and enjoying his moment, the energy of Nas’ evident hunger, passion and progression filled the room.
“This is a great album – and I don’t even talk about my albums like that,” he shared before taking it back to the music. “This record is very ****ing important, goddamnit! I don’t need no ****in’ money – I just need New York to feel good on that real ****.”
With a banging ’80s sample of New Edition‘s “Once In A Lifetime Groove,” Nas’ rapid piano-backed verses proclaim “I was the good seed, he was the wild flower.”

Guest features on the album include Maybach Music’s Rick Ross on “Accidental Murderer” with his “memoirs of a rich n***a,” whilst “Summer On Smash” features Miguel – the latter’s producer Swizz joining Nas onstage to play hype man and announce, “We come up from the streets… and in the streets we have fun too – this is our Hip Hop fun record,” before bounding back into snippets of the lively, club track baring a frivolous, feel-good chorus ["look at baby girl showing her ass," "neck got a whole lotta glass," etc].
Joking with the small crowd about bottles being thrown at the event, Swizz alluded to the rumoured Chris Brown and Drake/Meek Mill kaffufle at Teyana Taylor‘s New York launch party a few nights earlier. “I got my blazer on and my hawk in my pocket – let’s go!” he cracked, bounding across the tight mini-stage.

The impressive selection we were teased with thus far was more than solid, but the final track of the session truly sealed the deal.
Quickly shouting out Erick Sermon in the audience Nas screamed a question at the room: “Can I take you to the mother****ing darkside??” Likening the sound and impact to that of the Diddy/Bad Boy era a la G. Dep‘s “Special Delivery,” Swizz promptly spazzed on the mic and enlisted the room of willing participants to the next song’s opening chant – “This that street **** n***a, **** that weak ****!” – bouncing around the small stage and knocking the all-important laptop off its stand, almost breaking the damn thing as Nas spat; “My instincts got me in this Kurtis Blow culture.”

We never got to hear the whole song, as wanton as the room was. By now the music desk was a mess with knocked glasses and bottles, the party as much on stage as in the crowd and Nas concluded: “We got one,” adding, “we might drop that tomorrow…” – Swizz vigorously agreeing.

I can’t personally recall attending an industry playback with as much genuine interest and passion in recent years. And having captured hearts and minds around the globe since his 1994 debut Illmatic, Nas deserves it. “This **** was hot and hood – and I love that ****,” he concluded before saying his thanks, goodbyes and exiting.

Back with a hungry flow, rousing soundscapes and the pure but ferocious energy early Nas stans crave, could his new album be an Illmatic for 2012?

Ernest Estimé ‏@ErnestEstime
I'm telling you guys, Swizz Beatz took it back to true Ruff Ryder nostalgia on this track he produced for Nas.

Ernest Estimé ‏@ErnestEstime
All I'm gonna say is if this Nas feat. Swizz Beatz track drops today - on a Summer Friday?, New York will be on one again...

In attendance: Marsha Ambrosius, Swizz Beatz, Erick Sermon, Jungle, Joeyie and probably more I don’t remember or didn’t see.

- The DJ played “Ether” prior to getting into “Life Is Good” and was quickly instructed to change the record. Comedy.

- First record sounded like an intro, definitely produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E League. Fire.

- Producers that stood out J.U.S.T.I.C.E League, Salaam Remi, No I.D. & Swizz Beatz. Didn’t notice the presence/sound of anyone else.

- The Train (Prod. No I.D.) is vintage Nas, storytelling style that real Nasir Jones fans have been longing for.

- Nas references a conversation he had with Biggie before he passed.

- Accident Murderers feat. Rick Ross.

- Swizz Beatz stole the show with the two joints he produced on there one being “Summer On Smash” feat. Miguel and the other being “Street ****” (Tentative Title). I liked Street **** better. The hook to it is here.

- I incited Swizz and Nas into yelling “GAHDAMNNIT” in between every song.

- Last but not least, and I could be mistaken but I swear I heard “Tunechi” mentioned by someone on the mic..not sure what song it was. Marsha from SoulCulture might be able to tell you later, so don’t hold me to this one.

Nas Gets Nostalgic at Life is Good Album Listening Party
Published on June 15th, 2012 by Georgette.

Nas gave fans a sneak peek into his 10th studio album titled Life is Good, at the New Museum in New York City. Truly a celebration, the intimate space was plastered with memorabilia of The Don himself, with photos of his current singles as well as a blast from his musical career past. A slew of hits from Nas’ catalog welcomed guests as they anxiously waited the listening session of the milestone album for an artist who has changed lives, dealt with personal trials and tribulations publicly, yet still coming out on top looking better than ever. Guest appearances included his brother Jungle, DJ Khaled, Erick Sermon, and Swizz Beatz.

Joie Manda, the new president of Def Jam Music Group, introduced Nas who then kicked it off Queensbridge style. They started off with the intro track, which carried an uptempo beat yet very personal lyrics. Other tracks included Accidental Murderer, which the DJ played back several times and other songs whose track titles weren’t mentioned as they were played. He performed his latest track Daughters and beaming like the proud father he was, shouted out other fathers for Father’s Day as well as his daughter’s birthday. He turned it up again, bringing Swizz Beatz to the stage to introduce the first track they worked on called Summer on Smash. They took it a step further and performed another Swizz track that’s sure to be a radio smash. Before Nas’ verse could drop, the crowd went crazy as they kept screaming back the hook for this untitled track. The DJ ran it back several times. Nas and Swizz even toyed around with the idea of dropping it today.

Nas brought his musical career back full circle on this album, solidifying his longevity and well deserved success despite the controversies over the years. While still remaining true to his lyricism, a diversity of tracks can be heard on this album, including those who still want the Illmatic Nas coupled with those who want to hear something new. Feeling his energy from across the room, he truly emulated his album title.

Rumored to be his last album with Def Jam, his 10th studio LP is a celebration for hip hop as well as himself. Life is Good hits stores July 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ks21P1snLmo&feature=player_embedded#! - Video

All signs are pointing to a classic, looking forward to this Nas and Swizz joint 8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:18:05 PM by dubsmith_nz »

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Nas "Life Is Good" Listening Party Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
Thanks for posting. Looks interesting !

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
Lookin forward to this. Thanks

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
Thanks for posting. Looks interesting !
word. i just hope it's a great album from top to bottom.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Nas will drop serious heat.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
Nas has been killing everything lately, I think It's safe to say he's in the zone 8)

Al Bundy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
i'd take these reviews with a grain of salt. nas' beat selection has been sub-par with his last few albums

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
Nas picks the worst women...

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
i'd take these reviews with a grain of salt. nas' beat selection has been sub-par with his last few albums
i agree.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »

I mean, yeah. But I never really listened to Nas for his beats, just his lyrics.

His production fits his style.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »

I mean, yeah. But I never really listened to Nas for his beats, just his lyrics.

His production fits his style.
nas can rhyme his ass off but he needs dope production. 

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
I was hopin to see names like Premo and Pete Rock. Swizz is hit or miss like a mothafucka.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »
I'm buying this album regardless, but ehhh I'm really not liking what I'm reading. Miguel and Rick Ross features? Ruff Ryders era Swizz Beatz, Puffy era sound? I guess we just have to wait and see.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

BabyBird

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
I've been "listening" to Nas since grade 8 or 9. That was when his album Hip Hop is Dead came out

teecee

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »
I've been "listening" to Nas since grade 8 or 9. That was when his album Hip Hop is Dead came out

I've been "listening" to Nas since grade 8 or 9. That was when his album Illmatic came out!