Author Topic: Tito Lopez - The Hunger Game (Mixtape Download)  (Read 201 times)

Matty

Matty

Re: Tito Lopez - The Hunger Game (Mixtape Download)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
reviews

hiphopdx http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.1911/title.tito-lopez-the-hunger-game-mixtape-review

"The Hunger Game" is the latest of an extensive string of releases from Tito Lopez, aiming to elevate his status steps closer to that of a household name.

With Rap having blossomed from the ghettos of New York City into a globalized competition for the hearts and minds of listeners, emcees hailing from varying regions presently draw from an amalgam of formerly dominant influences. Amongst the south's up and comers taking inspiration from vicinities far out of his reach is Mississippi's Tito Lopez, cosigned by the likes of Organized Noize's Rico Wade & Dr. Dre and thrust into spotlight on the heels of the breakout smash single "Mama Proud." The Hunger Game is the latest of an extensive string of releases from Tito, aiming to elevate his status steps closer to that of a household name.

While riding the wave of his state's recent rise, Tito Lopez is unexpectedly dissimilar to Big K.R.I.T. and David Banner as his penchant for intricate wordplay is more common to East Coast spitters prone to romanticizing Hip Hop's Golden Era. The project's apt title reflects his tenacity towards recognition as he rides beats effortlessly with an original voice and command in the booth that shines through on "Try Me," the Gang Starr homage "Mass Appeal 2.0" and the aggressive head nodder "Conversation With Tito." Conveying a dash of variety to his persona, Tito's points of view expand to loving a troubled woman on "Jessica," taking a glance inward to share his troubles with "It's Hard Pt. 2" and catering to country folks with the laid back "Ventilation" designed for slow car riding. These distinguishing moments indicate a diverse charisma as he continually primes himself for glory.

Minor drawbacks arise from less than groundbreaking topic material about his creative grind and its detractors with "No Haters Allowed" and "They Told Me," both strong enough to likely impress listeners despite mundane messages. Though slightly reflective of limited ideas, The Hunger Game is an enjoyable mix of entertainment and higher wisdom from Tito Lopez as he has studied and finely honed the craft of emceeing in staunch determination to further the Crooked Letter State's prosperity.

DX Consensus: "Free Album" (the highest possible praise for a mixtape).

XXL http://www.xxlmag.com/reviews/2012/06/tito-lopez-the-hunger-game/

Mississippi native Tito Lopez rides the success of single “Mama Proud” and showcases the talent that got him signed to Capitol Records on The Hunger Game…

Tito Lopez has been an underdog his whole life. From his start in Mississippi, the young MC has had to fight his way into the limelight. Lopez had approached the music industry like a game of cat and mouse of sorts, not letting small setbacks throw him off his goal to be praosed as one of the best. Though he’s not quite there yet, it is this passion and energy that Lopez unleashes in his new project, The Hunger Game.

From a production standpoint, the tape offers a solid class of beatsmiths, consisting of The Futuristiks, Sleep Deez of the Academy and more. Each producer does a great job molding beats to suit the venomous lyrical barrage Tito fires off from track to track. Sonically, each beat has a quick tempo and vibrant drums giving cuts energy, which makes the project an easy listen.

Tito decides to keep this project a solo effort with no collaborations, which works in his favor. Throughout the tape, the Capitol Records signee tells stories of his past experiences and doesn’t allow other artists words to muddle the listeners opportunity to step inside his world. As a result, conceptually the tape comes out clear as day.

Throughout the release, Tito delivers sizzling hot bars with a razor sharp delivery. Known for his clever radio freestyles, the 24-year-old wanted to show fans that he could bottle that same energy from his freestyles and unleash the fury with songs, which he was able to do. He shows his insightful and introspective side with “Jessica,” a song about his childhood crush and how he courts her from his older competition in high school. The MS native deftly balances top-tier wordplay with punchlines that possess food for thought on “Conversations With Tito,” with bars like,” Your back-handed compliments, are condiments/Y’all niggas ketchup/I mustard up the strength to go forward and put my best up/So mayo next opponent relish in the moment, ’cause they probably gonna be the next cut.”

Indeed, Lopez is ready to eat in the rap game. He’s representing the voice of the underdog, telling the stories of the common man with flair and gusto. Lopez has proven in The Hunger Games that he plans to stick around for a while. —Christian Mordi (@mordi_thecomeup)

Matty

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »
just bumped it and damn! this is crazy good!!! fantastic production, fully untagged and tito is as good as ever (excellent). this is significantly better than most recent albums out there :bandit:

better than all of the other 'street album' mixtapes i've heard 8)

The following users thanked this post: Marco

dnjp4life

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:08:18 AM »
Will download based on the favourable reviews.

dnjp4life

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »
I can endorse Matty's review.  This might be the best mixtape I've ever heard.  Tito has been blessed with some amazing beats that wouldn't sound out of place on an album and he makes each one his own, sounding like a hip-hop veteran already.  Like this reviews say, this is pretty much a free album.  He's gained a new fan in me, that's for sure.

It's a travesty that this thread only has 60 views; people get in here and download this mixtape NOW.  You won't be disappointed  8)

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
This is very good.
Check tito freestyling the 5 fingers of death on youtube, just wow...

The D.O.C and

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
I need to get around to peeping this, Tito can spit

Matty

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
I can endorse Matty's review.  This might be the best mixtape I've ever heard.  Tito has been blessed with some amazing beats that wouldn't sound out of place on an album and he makes each one his own, sounding like a hip-hop veteran already.  Like this reviews say, this is pretty much a free album.  He's gained a new fan in me, that's for sure.

It's a travesty that this thread only has 60 views; people get in here and download this mixtape NOW.  You won't be disappointed  8)

word, thanks for the thoughts 8)

i don't even think the production is that good on here, although its nice for the most part. the mass appeal 2.0 is a bit off for example. i think tito just brings such a versatile flow and energy each time that he makes the tracks memorable. 'try me' could easily be a forgettable southern tempo joint with some monotone rapper like rick ross on it, but tito's tailored flow brings out the maximum energy in the beat. all in all his rhyming is very satisfying to listen to. it's the reason i rate BIG so highly, natural rhyming ability coupled with the ability to flow so well on different rhythms. freaking the beat effortlessly.

jeanmiche777

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
Didn't like it that much... that being said, I will follow him and i can't wait to hear his next mixtapes. I didn't like the production at all, except for Devils Pie, Jessica, Mama Proud and They Told Me (I used that sample once, not the same vibe at all lol but I like it). He got a sharp flow. Can't wait to hear him on some more polished production