Author Topic: do any of you actually think NAS was at any point a better MC than RAKIM?!!?  (Read 899 times)

ANgry!

• Lil Geezy
i notice a lot of kids today are quick to say NAS is the GOAT...

the guy that came after RAKIM and took it to the next level...

NAS is a great.... but sorry... he was never iller than RAKIM or G RAP and hes not iller than either RIGHT NOW...

most of the ppl that think NAS is better than RAKIM arent familiar with RAKIMS catalog... NAS dropped illmatic and never lived up to the inital response he got out the gate... RAKIM dropped PAID IN FULL and continued bombing on the culture dominating the scene album after album.....

4 classics in a row...

best rapper on the planet during this time... the height of the culture... before the sales spike era, before companies used rap to move product... before mickey d's was pimpin the hood with rap records.... before magazines/radio/tv was paid off telling you what rappers were the best/hottest... that was decided by the people....

whenever i hear a kid say NAS is/was better i ask in what respect...

catalog!?!?!?!?! NO CHANCE
flow?!!?!?!!?!? NO CHANCE... rakim invented more flows than nas can kick...
voice!?!?!?!?!?!?! nas is nas... rakim is THE VOICE...
live!?!?!?!?! rakim was never considered the illest live, but he can rock a crowd with one mic and a DJ better now than nas ever could....

the only thing you can possibly give the nod to nas for is storytelling... he never did anything like undying love, but casulaties of war is potent as fuck to this very day...a lot of kids act like nas is the smartest rapper ever... nas got some shit, some incredible concept records... but rakim operated under the restrictions of the 5% nation and never came off SAFE or BORING... feat in itself....

"but rakim dont sell records"

rakim sold something like 10 million records in his career...

rakim hasnt been as active as nas the past decade... but rakim had a lifetime in the game before nas made his first appearance... good music is timeless, its not a what have you done for me lately business like these crack babies think it is.....

I like to think the CNN is a little more advanced than the average crack baby with an internet connection... so do any of you think NAS was a better emcee than RAKIM at any point!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
I've been thinking that.

ANgry!

• Lil Geezy
nas is smart... rakim wrote the book nas studied....

only thing ill give nas over rakim is hell do some bugged out concept shit sometimes that is genuinely next level... like REWIND.. but theyre like shooting stars...

casualties of war is just one example of a perfectly executed concept... he did it time after time... that shit is potent as ever, clever/powerful writing, timeless music... he never got lost in the sauce like nas did....

rakims vocabulary is just as big.... thats a ridiculous claim....

i think most ppl are ignorant to the amount of knowledge/spirtuality/history rakim builds his music around....

because its so easy to listen to... the flow... the voice... if he was speaking a foreign language it would still sound good...

but rakim remained disciplined to the 5% philosophy his entire career, and his music never suffered, thematically or artistically.........

niggas talk shit about rakims albums AFTER eric b... even if you thought they all sucked, he dropped 4 undisputed classics in a row... how many rappers dropped 4 classic albums in a row!?!?!?!!?!?

nas dropped illmatic...

he also dropped nastradamus... easily one of the WORST albums ever released by an elite rapper in their prime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rakim never dropped anything as wack as KISSING... nas has flat out WACK records... he gets a pass cuz ohhh he had major label pressure yadda yadda... hes dropped more wack shit than just about any elite rapper in history....

i have yet to have an intelligent discussion or a compelling argument presented by anyone who thinks nas is better than rakim....

Hack Wilson - real

Nas made better music than Rakim....that's for sure.

T_Doc[MSK]

• Lil Geezy
Think dat Rakim iz GOAT and Nas is one of da best.
One of the problemz in Russia iz Russian "rap"
Datz why almost nobody knowz boutta Real West Coast dope music..

caffeinefiend

Snoop Dogg is the GOAT. He took it to the next level from where Rakim had taken it.  8) Not a huge Nas fan but I respect that he's very important to many people.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Nas made better music than Rakim....that's for sure
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
People who put Nas above Rakim should just an hero.

LOL about time that term was brought back. haha

But seriously Rakim is the GOAT and he is amazing live! He sounds basically like he does on record and not like Nas (or Jay) who screams in to the mic.

Triple OG Rapsodie

Nas was better than Rakim when he came out and has been since then. He's also been held up to a higher standard throughout his career. Ever since illmatic dropped he's been put by the industry in the position of GOAT to the point every album he drops gets compared to illmatic. No one expects Rakim to remake Paid in Full. That should tell you who's better.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:57:55 PM by BG Rapsodie »

ANgry!

• Lil Geezy
it should be noted that ive nevr had a discussion with anyone offline who thinks nas is better than rakim thats actually FAMILIAR with rakims catalog....

"nas is deeper"

is something someone says when they like nas and dont really know rakims catalog like that....

im fully familiar with nas catalog and can elaborate on the highs and lows....

as good as nas is... he never met expectations... underachieved his whole career...

rakim shattered the mold....

live show is better... better catalog... and if you compare their most recent albums, rakim is still spitting at a higher level....

im not expecting to change the mind of any adults who thinks drake is a quality artist...

i just want to see what the consensus is here...

everyday these net babies revise history and its spun outta control... 

Triple OG Rapsodie

Nas is deeper.....or more like Rakim is lacking in content. He spent his entire career with Eric B. rapping about nothing. He only learned how to diversify his content on his solo shit after other niggas in the game laid the blueprint. And his solo shit was alright but you can see where he lacks in making music...

His last album was coaster status....absolute trash...

The nigga has the nerve to talk about he'll never sell out and in the same breath he's sampling No Doubt's biggest hit. Sell out? Nah nigga, I think you mean you'll never learn how to make songs....

Nas was GOAT status from day one and held to a higher standard. That's why people can say he underachieved in parts of his career. Rakim was rapping about nothing on his classic albums. There was nowhere to go but up...

Nobody expects Rakim to drop a track like Rewind or I Gave You Power. Why? Because dude is held to a lower standard...

4 classics in a row....during an era where the bar was much lower...

Don't get me wrong, Rah perfected the technical aspect of the game. But he was lacking in everything else. Imagery, metaphors (real metaphors not similes), story-telling, song-making skill, but most of all heart and emotion. Nobody listens to Rah to hear some shit that they can feel. You start comparing him to Nas and its not even close....it's like comparing a math teacher to Einstein...one has all the knowledge, but one knows how to actually apply it...

lol at Rakim selling 10 million albums. Lets do the math...8 albums, none of them reached platinum. Uh no bro...

Yeah lets compare their recent albums...Life is Good vs. that coaster on my desk....

Wake me up when Rah stops being cheap and lazy and spends some time on his songs instead of getting generic wannabe r&b singers to sing his hooks...it ain't all about your 16s nigga

Hack Wilson - real

remember when Canibus was supposed to be the new Rakim?

"A Wanna-bee Rakim but too extra-terrestrial" - Wyclef  (dissing Bis)

ANgry!

• Lil Geezy

^^^^ better than any NAS song the past 10 years and rakim put it out when he was deemed "irrelevant"

the nas is GOAT talk is internet fiction and it gets worse and worse as time goes... ask anyone that saw illmatic come and go... at the end of the day nas is under achiever and rakim set an impossible bar of excellence...........

Remedy360

Nas's music is a lot deeper, but I'll take Rakim any day personally, still love Nas though.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
It's actually not close at all.

Plus Nas has the greatest album of all-time under his belt.