Author Topic: XXL Presents Dr Dre & Kendrick Lamar "Dr Dre Brings Us Hip-Hop's Next Big Star"  (Read 2059 times)

dameons

I like Slim the Mobster better than K Dot..Atleast Slim has fury and a hard edge behind him..Bishop was waaaaaay better than Kendrick..What a shame . I wonder what Interscope has planned for Slim ?

Smokin Briccz

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

GangstaBoogy

dr. dre has been smoking too much of that ish

No he hasn't been...and that's the problem.

Dr. Dre + weed = The Chronic, 2001

Dr. Dre + sobriety = I Need a Doctor, Chillin

Somebody get that man some marijuana ASAP!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Lol at thinking Kendrick aint gonna blow up. His buzz is 10x what J Cole's was and Cole went Gold and had a couple hit singles. Kendrick is the next big thing, I'd bet on it if I could.

I've seen cats in Sydney rocking t-shirts with Kendrick's face on them, I'm in Japan right now and in Tower Recrods they had a bunch of bootleg Kendrick albums in store. Duke is in demand, plus he can craft a good song and can spit his ass off.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:23:33 AM by dubsmith_nz »

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Bishop & Kendrick have very different styles yet BOTH should have blown up BIG time. Both deserve it in their own right.

KC-HOODSTA

Lol at thinking Kendrick aint gonna blow up. His buzz is 10x what J Cole's was and Cole went Gold and had a couple hit singles. Kendrick is the next big thing, I'd bet on it if I could.

I've seen cats in Sydney rocking t-shirts with Kendrick's face on them, I'm in Japan right now and in Tower Recrods they had a bunch of bootleg Kendrick albums in store. Duke is in demand, plus he can craft a good song and can spit his ass off.

thats what im saying!

kendrick is like a westcoast version of nas in some ways so im forreal like nobody is fucking with him in the GAME!! especially bishop lamont  ::)

donfathaimmortal

"hip hop's next big star" ... lmao

The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
Damizza's book paints the Bishop situation in a slightly different light if i remember. He was saying that there was barely anything completed for Detox at the time and Dre was paranoid about the 'Grow Up' record not being all that. Bascially big plans but hardly any completed music to back it up.

The thing linking Kendrick to the lineage of Dre 'proteges' should be worrying for him. The more Dre becomes involved and attached to the project, well...you know the rest. That release date looks dubious to say the least and hasn't 50 Cent got an album out in November too? Hmmmm....not that they haven't had enough time to perfect this thing already, but it seems like now they've decided to go all in, it's a little late to get things 'perfected' to Dre standard this year.

So there might be minimal support if his TDE label (and rightly so) want to get it out soon while he still has great momentum. Like you were mentioning, it could end up being a bit rushed in one way or another. Jimmy Iovine will also require young Kendrick to hit the gym hard if they're gonna spend big marketing bucks :laugh:

So recent history says the odds heavily favour Interscope/Dre fucking it all up in some way. But it will be interesting to see how this one turns out. Anyone for another Eminem album?

Some good posts... interesting take above.  In summary, if Kendrick and 50 release this year, with Dr. Dre being featured on both albums on the singles and IN videos, could he be setting himself up to release Detox next year?  He was performing a lot live this year too.

The biggest thing that I think Dre can't seem to overcome is direction.  He even said it himself.  I mean, look at the guys age and look at his track record.  He's too old to be rapping about blunts bitches and 40s... he's gotta start doing shit like Nas did on his latest album.  Nas' song "daughters" was awesome, and fitting for a guy in Nas' age to be rapping about (sidenote I don't have kids).  Dre needs to figure it out mayne.... Don't think he can run with gangsta shit anymore, he won't get a pass. 

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
but Dre don't write his lyrics, he takes younger guys to do it for him.

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
"hip hop's next big star" ... lmao

he seems more of a back up kind of guy,
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

GangstaBoogy

Should of been Bishop Lamont on that cover with Dre. Ah well... good for K.Dot... he's highly talented and deserves his current spotlight. What many people don't know though, is that Kendrick is being promoted quickly out of desperation on Dre's part. Dre had invested a lot of his "Detox" plans into Bishop Lamont. Bishop was being groomed heavily behind the scenes to be Dre's next major sidekick... the way Snoop was for "The Chronic" and Eminem for "Chronic 2001." But Dre took way too long to get Bishop out there, and when Interscope pulled "Grow Up" from the radio as soon as it was becoming hot on the westcoast, Bishop got frustrated and left Aftermath... which really messed up Dre's plans for "Detox." Everything from Bishop's pride to Dre's lazyness to Iovines greedy ignorance fucked up what could've been an epic return of Aftermath (Dre-n-Bishop). No one will admit it, but Kendrick is Dre's "plan B." Which is a shame 'cause like I said, Kendrick is dope with a lot of potentiel. But if he does indeed come out, it will be a rushed product out of desperation for Dre to get some sort of motivation again and MAYBE drop "Detox" before he turns 50. Believe it or not, Dre still has no idea what direction to go with Detox. He started out recording hardcore, mature and dope cuts for Detox with a slightly new sound while keeping it fun when he signed Bishop (they recorded SOOOO much materiel together). When Bishop left, Dre went to recording pop/techno records with today's "celebrities" in hopes to gain publicity with today's youth. Now with K.dot signed, Dre's on the fence, but he's slowly getting back to some solid Hip Hop, but like I said... it's a "plan b." We'll see...

Couple of things.

- Eminem only rapped on 2 songs on 2001. He was hardly a heavily featured artist, Hittman was the premier guest on that album

- Bishop didn't just leave Aftermath. He was dropped, it was just a matter of him getting his release papers. And lol @ "Grow Up" being "hot". Maybe on this forum.

- Kendrick Lamar is a helluva plan B

- Bishop SUCKED and was a weirdo. When I hear a grown man refer to himself as "donkey kong savage" i just smh. He may have had better chemistry with Dre than Slim the Mobster, but thats not saying much.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace

he won't become a star, you can quote me on that.

the recipe came and went

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!

the recipe came and went

How come the guy is touring the States back & forth from Cali to NY going through Florida, & TWICE with it the past few months, packing places every time, & he don't even YET have a major (record comapny endorsed) debut in stores?
Maybe "The Recipe" came & went, but Kenrick, HE WON'T. He & Black Hippy here to stay.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!

the recipe came and went

How come the guy is touring the States back & forth from Cali to NY going through Florida, & TWICE with it the past few months, packing places every time, & he don't even YET have a major (record comapny endorsed) debut in stores?
Maybe "The Recipe" came & went, but Kenrick, HE WON'T. He & Black Hippy here to stay.

8)

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
kendrick lamar won't become a star,

you can quote me on that one, dre is just been smoking too much to know what is going on.
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"