Author Topic: Nas accused of having album ghost-written by Jay Electronica and Stic.man  (Read 1963 times)

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The untitled album that preceded it, however (originally and unofficially titled Nigger), may not have been written by Nas at all. A new post on FWMJ’s Rappers I Know blog refers back to a time when the writer was working for New York radio station Hot 97, and underground rapper Jay Electronica told him that he’d been ghost-writing for Nas:

“The day Jay called me at work to tell me he was ghostwriting for Nas was a hard day for me. On one hand, I was happy that a friend of mine that seemingly no one cared an iota for a year or two prior was quickly ascending through the ranks of hip hop as a voice to pay attention to and a career in the making to watch. Earlier that summer we’d posted and artworked Act I and word was quickly spreading that he was a one to watch. Not too long after began that yearly teasing at Christmastime that Act II: The Pledge would be dropping for free as a download that would surely overload my server and shut down my site from traffic. It’s 2013 and we’re still waiting.

“I don’t recall specific dates, because I actively avoided listening to any of it, but we were either at the tail end of or in the middle of the ringtone era when I got this call from Jay. Rapping was in bad shape on a mainstream level, and that’s why the New York DJs as I would witness for the months surrounding any new Nas release would be giddy as hell hoping that the Soulja Boy and Tity Boy songs they are handcuffed to play day in and day out, would come to some sort of balance when a new Nas single that would hit.”

“When it’s public knowledge that the ‘greatest lyricist’ of our era, has ghost writers, what does that mean? Like, he has the ability to write crazy raps, but it’s like doping in the Olympics, how can we ever trust the good results again? This ain’t pop music, so it matters if you write your own raps or not. For at least 6 albums, that was the only currency Nas had; his lyrics. How long has he been using ghost writers?

“I had an existential crisis that day. I was happy for Jay Elec, but he basically speared a childhood music hero and make a sock puppet out of him”.

Hip-hop writer Dream Hampton has echoed the claims, Tweeting that “Nas’ Nigger album was largely written by Stic of dead prez and Jay Electronica.” Now, it’s hardly major news that a big name rapper has employed a ghostwriter – Dr. Dre’s been doing it for years, and he’s one of countless examples – but when it’s an artist as famed for his lyricism as Nas, it does make you wonder.
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

TT Makaveli

• 'G'
Nas getting Jay Electronica to write for him is like Michael Jordan getting Toni Kukoc to dunk for him...

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
i believe it. his verse on affirmative action was written by cormega.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
according to dream hampton (who's very credible) says she heard at least 6 references jay electronica did for nas. smarten up nas !!!!!!!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Sccit

THAT WOULD BE SOME SHIT....NAS, THE MOST WELL-KNOWN LYRICIST, HAVING ENTIRE ALBUMS GHOST-WRITTEN. HARD TO BELIEVE, BUT COULD EASILY BE A POSSIBILITY.

Will_B

according to dream hampton (who's very credible) says she heard at least 6 references jay electronica did for nas. smarten up nas !!!!!!!!

Yeah is this whole tracks or concepts, bridges, hooks etc.

Nas proved on God's Son he ain't great at putting a whole album together on his lonely

Hack Wilson - real

smh @ nas

Sccit

Nas proved on God's Son he ain't great at putting a whole album together on his lonely

I THOUGHT GODS SON WAS A GOOD ALBUM

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

possibly whole joints including 'queens get the money' stic man basically confirmed his involvement and still tryin' to give nas props.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

album was sick  8)

Remedy360

album was sick  8)

Agreed, a notch or two below his classics but not a bad album by any means.

rayallen0

shit, MF Doom has ghost PERFORMERS.

rayallen0

Jay Electronica ghostwrote this tweet.

it's all good, i ghostlistened to Nastradamus. and guess what, Nas is still in my top 3. Yeezy too. Sue me.

Hack Wilson - real

shit, MF Doom has ghost PERFORMERS.
???

Hack Wilson - real

Jay Electronica ghostwrote this tweet.

it's all good, i ghostlistened to Nastradamus. and guess what, Nas is still in my top 3. Yeezy too. Sue me.

kanye in his top 3?

i hope someone shoots him in the head for thinking that