Author Topic: WIDEawake Death Row next release 20 To Life Vol. 2 - September 25th  (Read 3458 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

Re: WIDEawake Death Row next release 20 To Life Vol. 2 - September 25th
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:08 PM »
The truth is is that they're a little resentful at the Dubcc and Deathrow forums (they think it's us under different user names).  So they think all of this backlash is only coming from us becuz they know how diehard we are about the music. 

Thing is is that they're wrong.  MOST people feel the same way, more than likely all.  They haven't come to terms yet that they're wrong about how they release "their" projects, they're yet to see/feel the errors in their ways.  It's either that or there's some details that they've yet to enclose on when it comes to the released projects. 

Becuz truth be told, why else would any company in their right mind release ventures like this?  It's not rocket science, there's no "testing the waters" that needs to be done, there's nothing else left to say.  Projects like these are deliberate, it's literally self explanatory at this point.  There's gems yet to be released, word to "Doggy Bagg"

Jimmy H.

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
Besides the poor audio quality (which I find forgivable in some cases) just take a look at the tracklists, artwork, album titles etc. I mean considering what they must have got in the vault it should be easy to put out the Death Row Inside Out compilation for example.
No poor audio quality is not forgivable and I question the sanity of anyone who would say otherwise. Buying an audio product that has poor audio quality is like buying a book that was handwritten by someone who can barely write legibally. They released unreleased production from Dr. Dre and DJ Quik and didn't even put the money into making it sound presentable. They put out an LBC Crew album that sounded piss-poor compared to the one that Effrain, a poster on this forum re-did for free.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
Besides the poor audio quality (which I find forgivable in some cases) just take a look at the tracklists, artwork, album titles etc. I mean considering what they must have got in the vault it should be easy to put out the Death Row Inside Out compilation for example.
No poor audio quality is not forgivable and I question the sanity of anyone who would say otherwise. Buying an audio product that has poor audio quality is like buying a book that was handwritten by someone who can barely write legibally. They released unreleased production from Dr. Dre and DJ Quik and didn't even put the money into making it sound presentable. They put out an LBC Crew album that sounded piss-poor compared to the one that Effrain, a poster on this forum re-did for free.

and they use their money to advertise on dubcc lol

Will_B

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »

Isn't it funny that Big C-Style did a better job of remastering his vault for that compilation that never dropped. The leaks sounded incredible, even tho they were demos or outtakes etc.

Some of the stuff on Lost Sessions sounded sourced from low quality rips like we're used to from bootleggers. Wideawake are not using the right equipment for doing their transfers, and they're working hand in hand with the people who are ruining any chance of credible releases for the label.

WIDEAWAKE, DO WHAT C-STYLE DID: DO NEW CLEANER TRANSFERS, AND TELL US WHEN/WHERE THE TRACK WAS RECORDED (WHAT SESSIONS ETC) AND WHO PRODUCED THE FUCKING THING....HE EVEN KNOWS THE MUSICIANS INVOLVED....

*sorry, foreign keyboard

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »

WIDEAWAKE, DO WHAT C-STYLE DID: DO NEW CLEANER TRANSFERS, AND TELL US WHEN/WHERE THE TRACK WAS RECORDED (WHAT SESSIONS ETC) AND WHO PRODUCED THE FUCKING THING....HE EVEN KNOWS THE MUSICIANS INVOLVED....

*sorry, foreign keyboard

LOL!!

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
I'd be more interested if they did well put together versions of the classic albums...

Like if they released Doggystyle, with all the remixes from the singles, with all the tracks that later became tracks on Doggystyle,
instrumental versions of all the tracks... maybe even some of the tracks broken down into just parts so we can see how they were made,
that would be more interesting to me...

And then have a big booklet with lots of info on the making of Doggystyle, interviews with people who were involved, how the artwork/photos were done
for it... then do that for the Chronic, Dogg Food, etc.

I don't know if you ever seen like classic Jazz albums or rock albums or anything, but they do that all the time, like have full liner notes redone for them,
and get the session recordings for the album and put all that stuff on a couple of discs or so...

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
I understand them re-releasing songs from that boxset. They're only doing that because that boxset is discontinued (in part due the Dr. Dre material appearing on there without his permission and it becoming a legal issue along with "The Chronic Relit: From The Vault"). WideAwake used "Doggy Bag" along with  "20 To Life: Volume 1" and "20 To Life: Volume 2" to re-release the unreleased material that appeared on the boxset. I just hope that after this release, they can move forward and give the fans more good unreleased recordings. Maybe release a remastered version of "Doggystyle" or "Dogg Food" in the future.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
I've been going on since the beginning of this WideAwake/Death Row thing about how it didn't make sense without Suge and it was not going to work out. Like someone said before DR should have just stayed bankrupt, the bootleggers would have done their job as far as emptying out the vault so no loss there.

I think bootlegging is one of the reasons their releases are so weak

Some people are making money behind the scenes selling the good stuff under the counter

I respect your opinion but disagree because if WA would put out the material people are yearning for and actually make them available in stores their products would probably sell more.  By releasing watered down releases in piss poor quality they are actually creating a marketplace/opportunity for bootleggers to exploit.  If they give people what they want it would most likely stifle the bootleggers but the way they are doing it people will actually buy from bootleggers because they seem to have a better understanding of what fans want as opposed to FastAsleep. 

here's the problem:  it's a fact that these guys are bootlegging songs behind the scenes and have been since 2009.

Snap. And not just the normal stuff, Imagine all the stuff they hold that can NEVER be released or heard. Like Dre stuff, Pac outtakes and whatnot.

All that holy grail stuff must be getting sold to top level black market collectors. Die hard Euros, Japs and Wiggers

I'm talkin G's overseas

Anything can be bought for the right price. Seems like people have shallow pockets these days though.

Or that people don't care about the stuff that is being bootlegged like Crooked I out takes and more Pete Pablo bootlegs.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
I understand them re-releasing songs from that boxset. They're only doing that because that boxset is discontinued (in part due the Dr. Dre material appearing on there without his permission and it becoming a legal issue along with "The Chronic Relit: From The Vault"). WideAwake used "Doggy Bag" along with  "20 To Life: Volume 1" and "20 To Life: Volume 2" to re-release the unreleased material that appeared on the boxset. I just hope that after this release, they can move forward and give the fans more good unreleased recordings. Maybe release a remastered version of "Doggystyle" or "Dogg Food" in the future.
I don't buy that because they are also including material that was put out on other projects. It's just lazy to me.

I actually like what UCC was talking about and it's something I've suggested in the past as well. Do a collector's set of some of the classic catalog and model it after what these other labels have done with say, the BDP catalog or ODB and GZA's deluxe albums. Include all the single and 16' inch stuff on a bonus disc with cleaned-up versions of the "Doggystyle" leftovers from the first Lost Sessions (don't know if that's still legally possible). Put "G's Up, Hoes Down" back in the original tracklist and do a remastered Doggystyle collector's edition, instead of these over-priced, poorly-mixed and weakly-compiled bootleg-quality albums they've been putting out.

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
if wideawake wanted to make a fancy remaster of doggystyle that would satisfy consumers they would need to:

-figure out how to master properly (and better then the original)
-find a way around the red tape with dre so they can put outtakes on
-make peace with people involved in creating the album so they can interview them for liner notes
-do some research and figure out death rows history to assemble tracks from that time
-do some more research to figure out who was involved for the liner notes
-basically completely get there act together.........

basically this is all a fantasy. i'm not saying yall are asking for too much wanting a decent product like this actually worth buying i'm saying it's so impossible it's not even worth talking about. doggystyle relit is a possibility though with some bloody mary and danny boy tracks at the end.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Death-Row-Box-Set/dp/B002PY9CI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345505745&sr=8-1&keywords=death+row+box

overpriced? yes discontinued? no...

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
I'd be more interested if they did well put together versions of the classic albums...

Like if they released Doggystyle, with all the remixes from the singles, with all the tracks that later became tracks on Doggystyle,
instrumental versions of all the tracks... maybe even some of the tracks broken down into just parts so we can see how they were made,
that would be more interesting to me...

And then have a big booklet with lots of info on the making of Doggystyle, interviews with people who were involved, how the artwork/photos were done
for it... then do that for the Chronic, Dogg Food, etc.

I don't know if you ever seen like classic Jazz albums or rock albums or anything, but they do that all the time, like have full liner notes redone for them,
and get the session recordings for the album and put all that stuff on a couple of discs or so...

Exactly what I was thinking CDs with big booklets full of (production) info, artwork etc basically everything they could find and there has to be alot, not just music wise but also photo sessions, promo material the works. Only I think they should leave the classic albums alone and move on with the unreleased stuff, then really putting the emphasis on "unreleased" with stickers on the CDs like "Unleashed from The Vaults: 100% authentic Death Row exclusives" or something like that.
Let's say they're releasing a compilation album from the 2002/2003 era, songs by Crooked I, Eastwood, N.I.N.A., Boo-yaa Tribe, Kurupt, Spider, Switchblade etc are on it. A nice booklet in there with as much info on each song as possible, a little background info on each artist, photo's and pictures that are actually from that period and maybe a brief summary of the label's status those 2 years. The XXL cover in 2002, Left Eye joinig the label, other artists affiliation with the label during that time (Juvenile, Ray J, Murder Inc), interviews the artists did and so on.
As far as the sound quality goes, I was under the impression that not all of the material was in good shape and that some songs simply could not get any better sound quality wise. If that really is the case then I don't mind the quality being average at best or even worse, better to have it in bad quality then to not have it at all.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
doggystyle relit is a possibility though with some bloody mary and danny boy tracks at the end.

LMAO  I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed they sure love to throw us unheard, unreleased Bloody Mary, C-Po and Danny Boy songs but they hoard the good shit (Crooked I's Untouchable cd, Every Single Day OG, Sam Sneed originals and of course everything by 2pac)

they spent 26 million bucks to buy DR and put out albums that sell 5000 copies at 10x a piece.  that's 50,000 profit + a small amount of back catalogue income

procrastiNate

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:29 PM »
I just want them to put out 100% unreleased albums and compilations, properly mixed and mastered, with at least 14 tracks per disc. No more of this 12 track bullshit. And I definitely do not want to see one single song that has been released officially make it onto these unreleased projects. Now, I absolutely do not mind if they put stuff like G'd Up & Banged Out by Crooked I or We R Blown by Petey Pablo on unreleased projects because even though they've been bootlegged in pretty good quality, they are still officially unreleased and I would like to see every track get a proper release.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:31:11 PM by procrastiNate »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »
I just want them to put out 100% unreleased albums and compilations, properly mixed and mastered, with at least 14 tracks per disc. No more of this 12 track bullshit. And I definitely do not want to see one single song that has been released officially make it onto these unreleased projects. Now, I absolutely do not mind if they put stuff like G'd Up & Banged Out by Crooked I or We R Blown by Petey Pablo on unreleased projects because even though they've been bootlegged in pretty good quality, they are still officially unreleased and I would like to see every track get a proper release.

good idea

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 01:55:45 AM »
if wideawake wanted to make a fancy remaster of doggystyle that would satisfy consumers they would need to:

-figure out how to master properly (and better then the original)
-find a way around the red tape with dre so they can put outtakes on
-make peace with people involved in creating the album so they can interview them for liner notes
-do some research and figure out death rows history to assemble tracks from that time
-do some more research to figure out who was involved for the liner notes
-basically completely get there act together.........

basically this is all a fantasy. i'm not saying yall are asking for too much wanting a decent product like this actually worth buying i'm saying it's so impossible it's not even worth talking about. doggystyle relit is a possibility though with some bloody mary and danny boy tracks at the end.

Yeah, I know what you mean, the main hurdle there really is "get their act together"...
They have enough stuff from around Doggystyle to have put some of that stuff on it, have a disc with the videos, etc.
and I think there is enough info out there already to create liner notes without having to interview the artists (though it would be cool if they did),
but yeah, they would need to get on the ball for it to happen...

Though for liner notes they could get someone like Ronin Ro or another writer to compile all the stuff for them...

Do a collector's set of some of the classic catalog and model it after what these other labels have done with say, the BDP catalog or ODB and GZA's deluxe albums. Include all the single and 16' inch stuff on a bonus disc with cleaned-up versions of the "Doggystyle" leftovers from the first Lost Sessions (don't know if that's still legally possible). Put "G's Up, Hoes Down" back in the original tracklist and do a remastered Doggystyle collector's edition, instead of these over-priced, poorly-mixed and weakly-compiled bootleg-quality albums they've been putting out.

Right, the GZA one is really dope, for Liquid Swords, comes with a little chess set in the box and everything --

Disc one contains the official album version while disc two contains the full RZA produced instrumentals, available for the first time ever as an official release.
As always with any deluxe Get On Down release, we have packaged this album with an array of extras, including; researched, in depth, full color liner notes with contributions from GZA himself, spanning across 20 pages, inner jackets and dust sleeves with memorable vintage artwork from the original release, and even a full wooden minature chess set, which can be played on the chess board printed and contained directly on the inner lining of the box.

There's a dope Pharcyde one as well --

This superbly arranged deluxe reissue includes the original album in its entirety, plus two additional discs including instrumentals, remixes, and b-cydes. Fans will be pleased to find producer J-Sw!ft's extended liner notes included alongside vintage photos of the group.