Author Topic: WIDEawake Death Row next release 20 To Life Vol. 2 - September 25th  (Read 3456 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: WIDEawake Death Row next release 20 To Life Vol. 2 - September 25th
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2012, 02:52:54 AM »
I understand them re-releasing songs from that boxset. They're only doing that because that boxset is discontinued (in part due the Dr. Dre material appearing on there without his permission and it becoming a legal issue along with "The Chronic Relit: From The Vault"). WideAwake used "Doggy Bag" along with  "20 To Life: Volume 1" and "20 To Life: Volume 2" to re-release the unreleased material that appeared on the boxset. I just hope that after this release, they can move forward and give the fans more good unreleased recordings. Maybe release a remastered version of "Doggystyle" or "Dogg Food" in the future.
would you really want a remastered album from those amateurs?

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
re-releasing and repackaging shit is not gonna work...i wont, and nobody i know, is gonna buy doggystyle, or dogg food or whatever else again for a couple of unreleased tracks, more linear notes and a bulky package...

and the cats who use itunes and amazon wont have the full "experience" of that purchase so yeah....while were at it, is there anyone stupid enough to have legitimately purchased a digital download for doggystyle?

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »
re-releasing and repackaging shit is not gonna work...i wont, and nobody i know, is gonna buy doggystyle, or dogg food or whatever else again for a couple of unreleased tracks, more linear notes and a bulky package...

Chronic re-lit was a success, i know quite a few peeps who purchased it that have no idea Death Row even got sold to begin with

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »
is wide awake "independant"

do they even have the access to the resources it would take to re release this shit properly and do the promo that comes with it etc ?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

and the cats who use itunes and amazon wont have the full "experience" of that purchase so yeah....while were at it, is there anyone stupid enough to have legitimately purchased a digital download for doggystyle?
History says otherwise. There's a reason labels keep putting out deluxe editions of all their classic albums. Selling whole albums of unreleased music is actually more of a financial gamble than re-releasing classic albums with a few extra goodies attached.

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »

History says otherwise. There's a reason labels keep putting out deluxe editions of all their classic albums. Selling whole albums of unreleased music is actually more of a financial gamble than re-releasing classic albums with a few extra goodies attached.

maybe....

but in 2012/2013?

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
 :o i wouldve bought that GZA-set wit the chessboard if i was still into cd's

I'd be more interested if they did well put together versions of the classic albums...

Like if they released Doggystyle, with all the remixes from the singles, with all the tracks that later became tracks on Doggystyle,
instrumental versions of all the tracks... maybe even some of the tracks broken down into just parts so we can see how they were made,
that would be more interesting to me...

And then have a big booklet with lots of info on the making of Doggystyle, interviews with people who were involved, how the artwork/photos were done
for it... then do that for the Chronic, Dogg Food, etc.

I don't know if you ever seen like classic Jazz albums or rock albums or anything, but they do that all the time, like have full liner notes redone for them,
and get the session recordings for the album and put all that stuff on a couple of discs or so...

Exactly what I was thinking CDs with big booklets full of (production) info, artwork etc basically everything they could find and there has to be alot, not just music wise but also photo sessions, promo material the works. Only I think they should leave the classic albums alone and move on with the unreleased stuff, then really putting the emphasis on "unreleased" with stickers on the CDs like "Unleashed from The Vaults: 100% authentic Death Row exclusives" or something like that.
Let's say they're releasing a compilation album from the 2002/2003 era, songs by Crooked I, Eastwood, N.I.N.A., Boo-yaa Tribe, Kurupt, Spider, Switchblade etc are on it. A nice booklet in there with as much info on each song as possible, a little background info on each artist, photo's and pictures that are actually from that period and maybe a brief summary of the label's status those 2 years. The XXL cover in 2002, Left Eye joinig the label, other artists affiliation with the label during that time (Juvenile, Ray J, Murder Inc), interviews the artists did and so on.
As far as the sound quality goes, I was under the impression that not all of the material was in good shape and that some songs simply could not get any better sound quality wise. If that really is the case then I don't mind the quality being average at best or even worse, better to have it in bad quality then to not have it at all.

tehy obvioulsy dont have all the indivudal information they need for each n every track.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
yeah my boy has that Gza chessboard set

shits dope!

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
I don't buy that because they are also including material that was put out on other projects. It's just lazy to me.

I actually like what UCC was talking about and it's something I've suggested in the past as well. Do a collector's set of some of the classic catalog and model it after what these other labels have done with say, the BDP catalog or ODB and GZA's deluxe albums. Include all the single and 16' inch stuff on a bonus disc with cleaned-up versions of the "Doggystyle" leftovers from the first Lost Sessions (don't know if that's still legally possible). Put "G's Up, Hoes Down" back in the original tracklist and do a remastered Doggystyle collector's edition, instead of these over-priced, poorly-mixed and weakly-compiled bootleg-quality albums they've been putting out.

Yo, I think that's a great idea. I would buy that release that you're mentioning in a heartbeat.  I was just posting the info that came from them on their form. Personally, I see why they're doing it. Yet, they shouldn't be doing it back to back like this. This is 3 projects spent on re-releasing unreleased material, back to back. I wish they would have included additional new unreleased material in the tracklistings of both volume 1 and 2. They could do better but, do they want to take the chance and so. That collector's edition of Doggystyle, I would buy ASAP. That would be great and I know that would sell off top. If it's done in that fashion that you mentioned, I'm there.

ttpac

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
doggystyle relit is a possibility though with some bloody mary and danny boy tracks at the end.

LMAO  I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed they sure love to throw us unheard, unreleased Bloody Mary, C-Po and Danny Boy songs but they hoard the good shit (Crooked I's Untouchable cd, Every Single Day OG, Sam Sneed originals and of course everything by 2pac)

they spent 26 million bucks to buy DR and put out albums that sell 5000 copies at 10x a piece.  that's 50,000 profit + a small amount of back catalogue income

Well said & good business sense bud; unlike WA of course-they're fast asleep.

LilRealest

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
Just 3 new tracks???!! Total disappointment.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »
maybe....

but in 2012/2013?
I would say so you ever notice how many times labels will re-issue classic albums or do new "greatest hits" packages? If you're someone that collects CD's, a remastered deluxe edition of an album might be something worth having. On the opposite side of things, if you're a casual fan, unreleased music from an artist is kind of a questionable investment.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »
Selling whole albums of unreleased music is actually more of a financial gamble than re-releasing classic albums with a few extra goodies attached.

Word, because it's like I already know I love The Chronic and Doggystyle, they're in my top 10 albums, so in most cases
I'd like to have more insights into those, the instrumentals from them, outtakes of recording sessions for them, etc.
to see how they were made and learn more about them... and of course if there are a few unreleased things from those
sessions, throw those in there as well...

Kinda like Star Wars, they release those joints like every couple of years with new stuff, new documentaries attached, etc.

Also I know a lot of people who don't even really listen to much hip-hop but who love Doggystyle and can rap like
all of Gz & Hustlaz and stuff like that, it was a very popular album...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
And I think the most important thing to consider is there is a built-in market for the classic material. If an album is constantly mentioned by "hip-hop purists" or magazines as being one of the best then the people who don't have it or possibly not have heard it yet might go out of their way to cop it. If one of my friends says "Hey, you need to check out this artist or band" and I start digging him/them then chances are, I'm going to start with either the best album(s) out of their catalog or a greatest hits retrospective. Generally, I'm only going to buy an album of unreleased songs when I'm a little more deep into that artist's discography.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »
maybe....

but in 2012/2013?
I would say so you ever notice how many times labels will re-issue classic albums or do new "greatest hits" packages? If you're someone that collects CD's, a remastered deluxe edition of an album might be something worth having. On the opposite side of things, if you're a casual fan, unreleased music from an artist is kind of a questionable investment.

disagree, that sytem doesnt work anymore, it worked before, particularly well for timeless & classic music (all teh constant Michael Jacson, Abba, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marey, MoTown Records re-issues made money for yers and years) - but if Wideawake bought the catagloue from Suge, just so they could  re-issue old DeathRow-material for the 7th or 8 the time, they are fuckin up in my book -->
they have to be inventtive wit new product/new music, and focus on their fans, and take their main consumer-market into account,, just like specialized DVD-companies do wit their movie-fans,, instead of tryin to  make bread off of pointless attempts at resurrectin "classics" to newcomers, (the kids can already buy all those old/numerous Death Row- & PlayItAgainSam-prints for pennies & cents)