Author Topic: Slaine Discusses La Coka Nostra's Evolution, Says "Worldstar Is A Snitch Site"  (Read 104 times)

doggfather

interview:

DX: What was the initial goal for the group when you initially formed La Coka Nostra?

Slaine: When we first started, it was me sleeping on Danny Boy’s couch. [DJ] Lethal signed me. He was still doing his Limp Bizkit thing but he signed me to a production deal as a solo artist. Lethal signed Danny to a solo deal. Then he signed this other kid to a solo deal. But then, instead of recording solo projects with me, Danny and the other kid, we ended up recording together. It was always a collective of emcees. Danny raps but he’s more of a graphic design, concept/idea guy than he is a write-raps-everyday kind of guy. As things went on, the other kid was a different artist and it wasn’t meant to be. So, Ill Bill came into the fray. Bill came up in the hardcore scene in New York but we had kind of a similar background. Then Everlast started coming around. We started recording stuff like that. It was a lot of fun and before we knew it, we put some stuff out on MySpace. Back then, MySpace was poppin’ as far as the Internet and shit. That’s kind of how the group formed. It wasn’t like a preconceived thing. We were just kicking it and everybody we were cool with ended up coming to the studio. B-Real came through but he had stuff going on and couldn’t tour with us. Sick Jacken came through. But the guys in the group-group, were Everlast, me, Bill, Lefty [Big Left], Danny Boy and Lethal. That was the beginning. That story is through the course of three years.

DX: How was it for you to come up being influenced by those around you but then kind of be put in a place where you became a peer with them?

Slaine: Early on, I wasn’t really feeling like a peer. Even when I started doing shit with Danny and Lethal, early on, I was like, “Wow.” You know? I had nothing, man. At the time Lethal signed me, I was living in South Boston, at the height of my fucked-up-ness as far as drugs. I was like, “Wow! DJ Lethal signed me to a production deal!” Those dudes were heroes to me. House Of Pain…Put it this way: The first Hip Hop show I went to was when I was 14 or 15. It was House of Pain, Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, and Alchemist’s group when he was young, The Whooliganz. That was the first show. House Of Pain…I love that style of music. All the Hip Hop music was dope in the '90s from both coasts, but I especially liked Cypress Hill and House Of Pain. They were from the West Coast but they were Irish-American and that’s where I’m from. I always liked them. You know? I had their posters on my wall. So, it was surreal to be in a group with those guys. It was like a dream come true.

DX: Do you finally feel like a peer now?

Slaine: Oh yeah, yeah. That was 10 years ago when I went out there so I think that initial “Wow” set in. I still have that respect for them. They were a huge influence on me before I even knew them so I still have that respect. But those guys are my boys now. They’re my friends beyond music.

continue:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.20788/title.slaine-discusses-la-coka-nostras-evolution-says-worldstar-is-a-snitch-site
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Hack Wilson - real

it is