Author Topic: What does PRODUCED BY: DR. DRE mean?  (Read 985 times)

Wild_Elmo

Re:What does PRODUCED BY: DR. DRE mean?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2003, 04:43:36 PM »
i think hip hop fans have traditionally had a twisted view of what a producer actually does, myself included until i learned and read up about it.

A producer oversees the whole making of a song from start to finish. He organizes the musicians, says what direction the song will take, often has a say in the theme of the song etc and is present in the studio to direct the vocalists. Then they are responsible for the sequencing of the track and shit like that.

In any form of music, the producer very rarely plays the instruments. if you look at the Red Hot Chili Peppers last record for instance, the group play all the instruments themselves, but Rick Rubin produced the album.

So basically, the producer directs and oversees the song, which involves a lot more than just making a beat. Hope that clears it up.
you just said what i said with more words

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2003, 05:47:38 PM »
Nah, man, what's lame is that you don't know what a producer is, then slam one of the true ones in rap.  Producer: See Quincy Jones, that's all I gotta say.  A producer PRODUCES the record, he makes it happen, gets it done.  That doesn't mean he plays all the instruments, what you crazy?  

What? dats a trip.....I been producing and watching producers in da studio at work for 2 years.....Basically what yur saying is Dre mixes tha beat.....dats what he does, MIXING.....

If I tell a producer in my camp, ay, I want some "wow, wow" sounds in da end and tell him where to put tha drums in, I dont get credited for producing.....He da ones that did it.....I just directed him.....looks to me, that Dre really takes on tha director role.....It's a trip what a producer CAN mean.....

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

I luv Coochie

• Lil Geezy
  • Fuck YOu PAY ME!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2003, 06:02:34 PM »
Dre doesnt produce shit. he cant do a beat without help from people. Scott Storch was making all those hits a couple of years ago now and dre was taking all the credit. Now Mike Elizando does all the work for him.

min0rity

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2003, 06:48:30 PM »
i think hip hop fans have traditionally had a twisted view of what a producer actually does, myself included until i learned and read up about it.

A producer oversees the whole making of a song from start to finish. He organizes the musicians, says what direction the song will take, often has a say in the theme of the song etc and is present in the studio to direct the vocalists. Then they are responsible for the sequencing of the track and shit like that.

In any form of music, the producer very rarely plays the instruments. if you look at the Red Hot Chili Peppers last record for instance, the group play all the instruments themselves, but Rick Rubin produced the album.

So basically, the producer directs and oversees the song, which involves a lot more than just making a beat. Hope that clears it up.

wow this is exactly how i feel ....thats why i questioned dre's credibility before cuz its obivous he doesn't do every fucking thing when making a song..thats why it seems like he is stealing credits but he really ain't...he is like a music teacher that is making sure everything is all right in place, pretty much making the songs perfect.. so i call dre a director instead of producer cuz that sound right with what he is doing currently  cuz i'm pretty sure when he did the original chronic and doggystyle..he did wayy more work than he is doing now..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 06:49:30 PM by MiN0RiTy »

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2003, 07:26:43 PM »
Man.  Some of yall are just so ignorant.  You talk like you know what's going on, or you've been watching producers for years, but damn, it's common sense knowledge to anyone who knows anything about any type of music, what a producer is.  Please don't bring this crap out again, it's just juvenile.  Like I said, when you can talk about Quincy Jones, or talk about Phil Spector, or know who George Martin is, then you'll understand the role of a producer, and why Dre is the greatest producer in hiphop.  A mixer is not the same as a producer.  A mixer mixes.  It's really pretty simple.... a producer produces, a mixer mixes, a vocalist vocalizes, an engineer engineers, a keyboardist plays keyboards.  How yall can get confused by that is beyond me.  Listen to Mr. Loc he knows what he's talking about.  

Jome

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2003, 10:47:14 PM »
Dre doesnt produce shit. he cant do a beat without help from people. Scott Storch was making all those hits a couple of years ago now and dre was taking all the credit. Now Mike Elizando does all the work for him.

::)
Everybody knows that Dre got people working with him, big surprise..  ::)
MelMan said it best: "Dre might not be a musician, but there wouldn't be no Dr.Dre-beats without Dre"

Don Seer

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2003, 01:43:11 AM »
ya'll gotta read more interviews n shit.. how many people say Dre oversee's everything in the minutest detail.. he's gotta reputation for being a perfectionist. listen to how people like snoop right through to eve and xzibit etc have said how Dre makes them rap a certain way. and how people like quik who has now actually worked to him thinks he's the shit... before that he probably believed the same BS as everyone, he sure as hell used it as ammunition when he was dissin Dre on 'you aint fresh' (only a mis-understandni coz quik thought dre had dissed him).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 01:45:45 AM by Overseer »

dexter

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2003, 05:22:30 PM »
you can produce without playing music. A producer oversees the project and decides how it comes out.

S.G.V.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2003, 05:41:01 PM »
I mean look @ songs like "If I Can't" on 50's album.....

It says Produced by Dre.....
but then it says Keyboards, Drums & Bass by: Mike Elizondo.....

I mean wtf? Producing is making a beat.....It is VERY different than mixing tha beat.....

I just don't get what dre actually does.....shit is lame.

ive been bringin this up for a while...dre has ghost producers...hes had ghost producers his whole career...thats why Daz dissed him...J.Flexx too...Mel Man does most his beats...and so does Mike Elizondo n Scott Storch...JD was right..."i know u do half the work in the studio"...i dont check eminems credits but according to Evidence hes the same way...

Jome

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2003, 06:58:42 PM »

ive been bringin this up for a while...dre has ghost producers...hes had ghost producers his whole career...thats why Daz dissed him...J.Flexx too...Mel Man does most his beats...and so does Mike Elizondo n Scott Storch...JD was right..."i know u do half the work in the studio"...i dont check eminems credits but according to Evidence hes the same way...

And that's why Dre & Em is sharper producers than 95% of other producers.
It's no secret that Fred Wreck, Mike Elizondo, Mel-Man, Luis Resto, Bass Bros, Scott Storch etc. have been working for Dre & Em, and that's how Em started out producing too, by learning from the Bass Bros and Dre.

They all learn from Dre, and they gradually become producers themselves as they pick up tricks and techniques.
Mel-Man, Fred Wreck, Eminem, Mike Elizondo - They were all average producers or not producers at all before they went the Dre-school.
Mike Elizondo is co-producing for Dre now.. he only used to do instruments before, and now he's about to start producing for artists too from what I hear.
The co-producers & musicians get their name in the credits and a phat paycheck, and gets educated to professional producers by Dre.

Of course people is gonna get jealous.. Daz got the axe, J.D. is beefing with him and copying half of his beats, of course they are gonna badmouth him..
J.Flexx is the only somewhat believeable of the doubters, but he could be a jealous mofo too for all we know.

Some of yall need to start reading some interviews with people who have worked with Dre, 95% of them are giving him props and telling he's a work-a-holic and a perfectionist.
The last 5% are dissing him, and that's usually people who didn't make the cut, as in "got axed", or people who only judge from hearsay.

Mel-Man about 2001:
Me and Dre worked all the way through that muthafucka. It was pretty much how you see what's going on know. Just imagine that like all day and night with Dre in the room and it would just start over and over again. He comin with it, I'm comin with it. My man La Bamba on the bass over there, he comin with it. It even gets more critical then that.

Peep any Fred Wreck interview, peep any Scott Storch interview, or Eminem talking about Dre's methods.. do some research god damn it, instead of judging from what Daz the Crackslanga or J.D. the copycat says.

S.G.V.

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2003, 07:25:02 PM »
Fredwreck has been producin a long time...he came up on his own...he only recently started gettin down wit Dre...and i dont see how usin a ghost producer makes u better than anyone...Dre does as little as possible it seems but gets all credit...doesnt write his own rhymes...hardly does his beats...fuck what does dre do?!

Jome

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2003, 07:31:45 PM »
Fredwreck has been producin a long time...he came up on his own...he only recently started gettin down wit Dre...and i dont see how usin a ghost producer makes u better than anyone...Dre does as little as possible it seems but gets all credit...doesnt write his own rhymes...hardly does his beats...fuck what does dre do?!

FredWreck worked with Dre on 2001 back in 1999... before that Fred Wreck was a average producer IMO.
If U seen the footage of Dre & the team working on The Chronic, you would see that Dre is doing the work, while the others is fooling around.
Dre spends DAYS in the studio, that OUGHTA tell you something about his work ethics.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2003, 11:50:22 PM »
the producer is the coach of a team, like phil jackson, don nelson, pat riley, bill parcels ect.

you are not a producer if you grab a keyboard and and make a 3 layered beat

this is how production works
in rock n roll

the band hires/is arranged with/asks a producer that is the best that money can buy and will make their records the best they can be. the producer does the WHOLE album not just a song or 2. Most of the ideas about a record/song come from the producer, and the muscians he/she works with use their talents to make those ideas realities. for example rick ruben was going through a some of anthony keidus's poetry, he stumbled across  "under the bridge" and convinced anthony to sing it . rick ruben then went to john and said why don't you add the riff you were messing with earlier to it BUT slow down the timing and add this intro  (rick ruben then hums or whistles  a little melody out and john plays it out), then rick ruben has the drums come in after the chorus, then at the end of the song adds a choir. basically rick ruben becomes the 5th member of the chili peppers and becomes the leader  and dictates (harmoniousl with the artist) how certain ideas should be to fullfill their best potential. now an artist can self producer themselves like a metallica or led zeppelin. but the same thing happens  a leader arises and dictates harmoniously how certain things should sound, like jimi page would say to robert plant hey man when i end this guitar solo for stairway to heaven you should speed up the tempo and then goes up to john bonahm and goes hey hit the snare twice here  after Rob sings this lick........then they do it and do it til its right

in classical music the composer, who usually only knows 1 or 2 instruments writes out musical notes for an orchestra that can have up to 50 instruments(this is why knowing musical notes is important if your a producer A minor is universal with every instrumet when written down. ok lets take Yanni for example, he only knows 2 instruments the piano and the guitar. but has violins and all that shit with him on stage, now how he produces them is quit elementry , he does it all on guitar and writes itdown and aranges those notes to a designated instrument . and then   when all the notes join together it's a symphonic.

in rap

in rap you get the title producer if you make a 3 note song that repeats not even a whole bar for 3-5 minutes. guess what that's not producing. what dre does is enlist a number of musicians and the pattern hasn't changed . he always gets a bass player , a keybord player and a percusionist. he sits down with them all and says look here guys i want this. from you, this from you and this from you. and has them do the certain chore over and over again until that bass line he hummed to collin wolfe is perfect. until he and whoever his keyboardest is finds that perfect counter melody. until his drums are crisp and are in sync with the bass and form a good rhythem section. to me that's the summit of artistry right there.

it's well obvious half of you don't know what you're talking about and that's fine, but dont come in here bashing dre, then praising some fool that doesn't know what he's doing making elementry monkey music

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Kaidy

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2003, 12:18:51 AM »
like Trauma said... more people need to read my post

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2003, 12:20:35 AM »
its like you know how to drive but dont know where you going.....dre is the guy guiding you to your destination.......if it was so easy these guys would be makin thier own shit